Falkirk v St Mirren Championship 21/10/17

shull

There was some positives today. Another clean sheet. nice to see our defending getting better. and Magennis playing for an hour. Canny Smith MOM by a mile. Tho Bairdy had his best game so far this season. it's a good point cos they will get better and not many will take points off them at home. Good point imo.

Win home games and draw away is a good target to aim for.

So far we have won all our home games. We have not managed a draw in each of our away games, but two wins and a draw from the five games gives us seven points from the five games. Sticking to the draw away theory we would only have five, so ahead of schedule on that count!!

Happy with the draw. I wasn't at the game, but it sounds as though it was pretty even, and the draw was a fair result.

The clean sheet is probably the most pleasing thing. That's two successive clean sheets on the road, and that is very encouraging.

Also special mention to Cammy Smith...bit of an unsung hero at times for us but the boy is superb...a little terrier and he can play a bit too. Can't believe Aberdeen let him go and that we have him for 3 years!!

In my opinion he is our most consistent player.

Even when things aren't going for him he still works and works and never gives up.

Not only did Aberdeen let him go, Dundee United let his loan finish early last January meaning he could come to us. Win win.

Cammy Smith week after week never fails. He works for 90 mins and was unlucky today not to get us the 3 points. A few times today thought Buchanan was struggling -certainly for pace. Agree that Stelios should have been on. Would have taken a draw before we started  but disappointed not to get 3 points. Falkirk were woeful up front. Fans again were fantastic. Away games are definitely a must these days. Shows how far we've come. 

We struggled throughout the whole game to make any impact, Smith should have nicked all three points,  Falkirk had a load of chances. Midfield all at sea.

Agreed, thought we struggled and laboured a bit apart from the first 15 minutes and flashes of the second half, Falkirk created at least 3 chances down our left hand side in the first half and for better finishing would have been a couple up.

Not sure if it was the pitch or whatever, but for long spells it just never clicked yesterday.

If there was a league table for cheating Falkirk would be right at the top.

For me, had we scored at the end it would have been an outstanding 3 points, however it has to be seen as a good point in the end, as they will take points off other teams at their place that’s for sure!!

Now bring in the Mong!!

Another fine day out in Falkirk and what a contrast to the good old, bad old days when Fergie was the man and I last travelled to Falkirk in a title winning year. 11 Sept 1976 those halcyon days when drink was allowed in the ground and segregation was a thing of the future. The opposition were the enemy and derogatory chants were compulsory, not frowned upon, in the days when fisty cuffs and missile throwing meant every match was a real adventure. We got cuffed 2-0 that day and the “Falkirk Fear” or the “Falkirk Yoof” as they liked to be known put a couple of bricks through our bus window. It was a draughty run home.

In complete contrast, move on 40 years to the modern game and the Falkirk Yoof have all grown up and are really nice lads and lasses. I started off “behind the wall” my merry band of Buds all bedecked in the full Joma regalia and black and white scarves conversed and drank freely with the myriad of blue, red and black topped Falkirk lads and lasses all proudly sporting their Falkirk Steeples on their badges. They all wished us well but they were not confident in the least about their team’s chances. We were offered tickets on their bus to take us to the ground but a few of them persuaded us to go to their local “Cheers” and we got seats on their bus. Instead of throwing drink cans at each other we just passed the glasses and bottles about and drank the contents. All very civilised and modern. Lots of good banter and then together on the bus to the game.

As regards the game. These are only my opinions but I do respect JR and he obviously knows better than me but we should have won that. I thought we started off well and we should have scored early on. Riley and Morgan had good chances but it just didn’t happen. Credit to JR. He realised Morgan was toiling and swapped him and Magennis around but we didn’t improve much and Falkirk came into the Game. I thought replacing Magennis with Sutton was a mistake. Sutton spent more time wrestling and falling on his arse than he did making space and with a reduced midfield Falkirk took control. That meant Riley had to come off to regain the midfield but I’m not sure Kirkpatrick was the answer. I thought McGinn played better this week but it was only after Macpherson came on that Smith started making runs that hurt and we had two chances at the end. Still to be honest I would have taken a point at the start but I reckon we should have won that. Falkirk were woeful up front and never really looked like scoring. Still all the other results fell into place and we can only get better.

After the game, the Falkirk fans waited for us and ran us back into town on their bus. It was back to “Cheers” for beers and post-match Analysis. Good banter, good fun, good natured and a good point I eventually conceded.

This could be another title winning year and hopefully this time we won’t get chased out of Dundee by the “Hilltown ****” like we did when we lifted the title on that famous Tuesday night in 1977. I’m far too old for that now. It’s much more civilised buying them drink instead of throwing it at each other.

A decent point. If Austin wasn't absolutely brutal, we could have been in bother at times. A wee chance to win it at the end, but 3 points for either team would have been harsh. Despite their poor start, Falkirk away is one of the hardest fixtures of the season. A point and a clean sheet is alright by me.

There hasn't been much mention of it but I actually feel quite sorry for Jordan Kirkpartick at the moment. Anyone attending U20s matches has been reporting just how well Jordan is performing but for the first team, it just doesn't seem to click at all. Ball trapped under his feet, looks a bit flustered anytime he's in possession, struggling to get fully involved. It's not like he seems out of his depth, just that he needs one to fly in from about 25 yards to get his head up a bit.

You can see he's a player a bit low on confidence since joining which is a shame as he had a fantastic season in the league below last year and several thought he'd be a real impact player to have. You can see how hard he's working and hopefully it will click for the guy sooner rather than later.

There hasn't been much mention of it but I actually feel quite sorry for Jordan Kirkpartick at the moment. Anyone attending U20s matches has been reporting just how well Jordan is performing but for the first team, it just doesn't seem to click at all. Ball trapped under his feet, looks a bit flustered anytime he's in possession, struggling to get fully involved. It's not like he seems out of his depth, just that he needs one to fly in from about 25 yards to get his head up a bit.
You can see he's a player a bit low on confidence since joining which is a shame as he had a fantastic season in the league below last year and several thought he'd be a real impact player to have. You can see how hard he's working and hopefully it will click for the guy sooner rather than later.

I was surprised when he didn't feature in the Raith game as I thought thst might have been a good chance for him.

Like everybody that pulls on a saints top I want them to be brilliant but in kirkpatricks case the jury is still out.

Very early days I know but he's not done a lot to impress in the chances he's had.

Here's hoping he gets his confidence up and finds a role in the squad.