Liverpool

This is probably the only major City in the UK I haven't been to but in light of positive reports from recent visitors I'm heading  down there with my good lady for a couple of days to check it out. Anyone been there. Any suggestions what to do there apart from the Beatles and the Docks. 

I was down there for John Cale / Velvet Underground in the summer; the docks are a bit pricey but worth a couple and is ok for food places; Matthew Street for boozas; there are plenty of good boozas if you do the city hop on / hop off tour; the river boat tour is def worth doing.

Was down in February for my birthday and thought it was great , went to see Liverpool v Wolves (that wasn't great} and into the centre for a night out and the place was buzzing , Every pub and eatery were mobbed , but managed a visit to The Cavern  although full to busting point it is a place I had wanted to visit for many years so me and my wife had a great time , we hope to go back early next year.

Guest TPAFKATS
I was down there for John Cale / Velvet Underground in the summer; the docks are a bit pricey but worth a couple and is ok for food places; Matthew Street for boozas; there are plenty of good boozas if you do the city hop on / hop off tour; the river boat tour is def worth doing.

I'm hoping you meant a couple of beers when quoting the docks as pricey [emoji33]

When I did the stadium tour, admittedly a lot of years ago, their trophy cabinet included - let's call it - the St.Mirren centenary shield. 

We played them to commerorate the centenary and they won it on penalties after a 1-1 over 90 minutes. 

If I remember correctly, they were European champions at the time. Liverpool that is, not St.Mirren. 

11 minutes ago, uhura said:

When I did the stadium tour, admittedly a lot of years ago, their trophy cabinet included - let's call it - the St.Mirren centenary shield. 

We played them to commerorate the centenary and they won it on penalties after a 1-1 over 90 minutes. 

If I remember correctly, they were European champions at the time. Liverpool that is, not St.Mirren. 

Fitzy said our time will come:cheers

Guest TPAFKATS

I like Liverpool. I'm sure it's got its dodgy areas like all towns and cities but I always felt safe. Found the city centre a bit like a smaller version of Glasgow. I've even survived taking the local train to the leafy suburbs.

One of the few places we make a point of staying over for nufc away games. When we're in the same division of course.  Always felt safe and found the locals to be welcoming. Usually quite hard to find affordable hotels near the centre. Ended up booking a room above a Toxteth pub the other year. We were a bit apprehensive because my memories of Toxteth were of it being in flames during the riots on the news when I was growing up. Turned out to be one of the best places we've tried. So hospitable. 

14 minutes ago, john scott said:

One of the few places we make a point of staying over for nufc away games. When we're in the same division of course.  Always felt safe and found the locals to be welcoming. Usually quite hard to find affordable hotels near the centre. Ended up booking a room above a Toxteth pub the other year. We were a bit apprehensive because my memories of Toxteth were of it being in flames during the riots on the news when I was growing up. Turned out to be one of the best places we've tried. So hospitable. 

Travelodge
  • Address: Liverpool Stonedale Park, East Lancashire Road, Norris Green, Liverpool L11 9DH.
  • We stayed here for two night and found it a good deal with a nice breakfast included.
Edited by linwood buddie

12 hours ago, melmac said:

12 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

Was down in February for my birthday and thought it was great , went to see Liverpool v Wolves (that wasn't great} and into the centre for a night out and the place was buzzing , Every pub and eatery were mobbed , but managed a visit to The Cavern  although full to busting point it is a place I had wanted to visit for many years so me and my wife had a great time , we hope to go back early next year.

8 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

I like Liverpool. I'm sure it's got its dodgy areas like all towns and cities but I always felt safe. Found the city centre a bit like a smaller version of Glasgow. I've even survived taking the local train to the leafy suburbs.

7 hours ago, john scott said:

Thanks Guys. On the train now. Sounds like I should have a good time. I'll be back for Dumbarton though

I live in Liverpool, depends on what you are looking to do but if culture stuff you have Museum of Liverpool, ferry across the Mersey, Albert dock with its big wheel, Tate gallery, planetarium, Both cathedrals are nice in very different ways, liverpool museum (different to first one), Liverpool one for shops and food, Mathew street for pubs and clubs, too many great restaurants to mention, Anfield tour then cross stanley park (5 min walk at most) and you have Goodison, Liverpool open top bus tour or the magical mystery bus tour which is obviously Beatles orientated.

All depends on what you are looking for  but nice city to visit.

Brilliant city. People are great.

I cant help you with places to go mind you unless the mrs is into relentless drinking, gambling and a cheeky lapdance or 2.

Hope you have a good time mate.

Ha! Ha! Maybe I should dump the wife and go with you. [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

I live in Liverpool, depends on what you are looking to do but if culture stuff you have Museum of Liverpool, ferry across the Mersey, Albert dock with its big wheel, Tate gallery, planetarium, Both cathedrals are nice in very different ways, liverpool museum (different to first one), Liverpool one for shops and food, Mathew street for pubs and clubs, too many great restaurants to mention, Anfield tour then cross stanley park (5 min walk at most) and you have Goodison, Liverpool open top bus tour or the magical mystery bus tour which is obviously Beatles orientated.

All depends on what you are looking for  but nice city to visit.

Cheers there's a couple of possibilities in there which should keep the Mrs happy. Don't think I'll get near any of the football grounds though