St Mirren V Morton 28th Oct

Jimmy H

FT 2-2

If the first half was a snooze fest, the second half was rip snorting entertainment.

All kicked off when Morgan stuck a 25 yard free kick into the wall, chased the rebound and was tugged. Might have been a foul, might not have been. Might have been inside the box, might not have been. Penalty, 1-0.

Then Morton ran down the park and scored a fantastic equaliser. Sat up for the lad and great finish from outside the box into the bottom corner.

Then we go down the other end and go back ahead through another fine goal. Good move, Smith in behind, good cut back, excellent finish Reilly.

Then a corner Morton and one of those tug off the ball penalties. Might have been a foul, probably wouldn't have been given if our one wasn't.

Draw probably about right, Dunfermline lost... so we are still clear at the top of the league. Good day. Let's win at Tannadice next week, send the proverbial message.

Says a lot about this league when the team which has dropped 4 points in the last 2 matches is still sitting 2 points clear at the top.

Indeed. This league isn't up to much at all. I don't think we are a good side by any measure, but we could still win the title.

Dundee Utd is the worry. Obviously some issue with the manager there, he's gone and they've won at Dumbarton. Would still make them favourites.

Big game against them next week.

4 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Says a lot about this league when the team which has dropped 4 points in the last 2 matches is still sitting 2 points clear at the top.

The timing of the morton goals tells a story.  Cool heads and presence of mind are required after scoring in a highly competitive derby, but it seems we were drawn right back into the slug-fest after each goal.

An improvement in our mentality is required to ensure we stay ahead of the rest, hopefully that will come but i can't help feeling that the atmosphere at the club is that we are clinging on, almost in the expectation we will be caught some time.

Time for everyone to start thinking like winners.  More clean sheets please!

Very poor result in the end.  I thought Morton were very poor, they didn't show much interest in getting out of their own half until they went behind.

Reilly got booked for diving at the end when it looked like a strong shout for a penalty to me.  I have no idea whether Buchanan did foul the Morton player for their penalty, seems very harsh.  However to give up two points with more blunders in central defence is difficult to take.

Morgan and Cammy Smith are two great talents but we need to find some more creativity in the final third if we are going to really compete for this title.

I'm a bit down after dropping these points to Falkirk and Morton, fingers crossed for a return to form next week.  Massive game coming up there!

47 minutes ago, TopCat said:

2-2

Soft penalty apiece then.

This has turned into some game.

There was nothing soft about the Saints penalty, it was a very clear pull on the shirt after Morgan had left the three Morton boys looking stupid.

There was nothing soft about the Saints penalty, it was a very clear pull on the shirt after Morgan had left the three Morton boys looking stupid.

Agreed. The protests to the referee seemed to focus entirely on it being a free kick rather than a penalty.

From where I was it seemed that the Morton player went down holding Buchanan’s shirt...