St Mirren V Morton 28th Oct

Jimmy H

4 minutes ago, Bart Simpson said:

Agreed. The protests to the referee seemed to focus entirely on it being a free kick rather than a penalty.

From where I was it seemed that the Morton player went down holding Buchanan’s shirt...

A Morton player diving for a penalty?  Surely not...

28 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

The timing of the morton goals tells a story.  Cool heads and presence of mind are required after scoring in a highly competitive derby, but it seems we were drawn right back into the slug-fest after each goal.

An improvement in our mentality is required to ensure we stay ahead of the rest, hopefully that will come but i can't help feeling that the atmosphere at the club is that we are clinging on, almost in the expectation we will be caught some time.

Time for everyone to start thinking like winners.  More clean sheets please!

I doubt that bit about the atmosphere at the club severely under JR.  It's for us on here to be positive too.

2-2 , I think Quitongo will continue to give us problems.
However ,if you believe in omens , in exactly the same week in 76 we beat them 5-1, following a 0-0 draw the previous week ! [emoji5]

And 2-2 it was , although they should have been dead and buried after we got ahead for the 2nd time. Having been spoken to by the ref before the corner was taken , what was Buchanan thinking about continuing to jostle with O Ware .

Very frustrating today.

We actually played better after Stewart came on, but allowed Morton to bully us.

McLean was hopeless, unsurprisingly. I was pretty sure that Reilly didn't dive, but maybe that's the black and white specs. If he did dive, it was a bad decision as he had the defender for pace. His earlier miss that could have made it 3-1 was a bummer, though it was a difficult ball to control.

Overall, certainly feels like 2 points dropped.

Smith the deserved MotM.

Edited by Drew

Thought it was a good game. Reckoned beforehand it would be a draw and that was probably about right in the end. Disappointing after being ahead twice though.

First goal was a clear foul, not sure if it was in the box though. Nice to see us score a penalty for a change.

Tremendous hit for Morton's first equaliser, although the header out from whichever defender was really poor.

Great finish from Reilly for the second but he should have buried the one moments later. If he had it was game over but you just knew it was going to cost us.

It was blatantly obvious a foul was coming at Morton's corner given the ref spoke to players from both teams, was just a question of which way it was going. Had to be Harkins that scored it, although was funny seeing him cause chaos in his own box every time he tried to defend in the first half. His pass to no one was also a thing of beauty.

Have to question why Reilly would dive in that position but he didn't complain too much when he got booked. Seemingly Ross and Duffy both think it was a penalty though.

We were three points clear at the end of the first quarter and after drawing two tricky games we're still two clear so can't complain too much about that. Must be our longest winless league run for months!

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

It was a stonewaller. Reilly showed the ref the mark where he was kicked. Was right in front of us in the family stand. Shocking decision.

Does my head when people assume players not screaming in the refs face means they agree with the decision.  Reilly clearly did show where he had been hit.

Very frustrating today.
We actually played better after Stewart came on, but allowed Morton to bully us.
McLean was hopeless, unsurprisingly. I was pretty sure that Reilly didn't dive, but maybe that's the black and white specs. If he did dive, it was a bad decision as he had the defender for pace. His earlier miss that could have made it 3-1 was a bummer, though it was a difficult ball to control.
Overall, certainly feels like 2 points dropped.
Smith the deserved MotM.

Reilly didn't dive mate - right in front of us. Shocking decision.

Modern world. Modern game. What was that penalty all about? Feck, 2 points dropped. Decided not to celebrate and head straight for the train. All sorts of scum on the platforms, mainly heading for Greenock. A couple of wee St Mirren fans returning their abuse. Big brave Morton fans in his late twenties (maybe) gets upset and grabs a St Mirren scarf from a young 12ish year old boy and proceeds to gloat over his stolen trophy. A bit over the top, I thought, so I placed my hand on the Morton fans shoulder and advised him that stealing from children wasn't big or clever and maybe he should return his stolen plunder. Feck his mates all turned on me. "Don't touch him that's assault" they implied. At this point they were still undecided on whether their mate was a dick or not because he had stolen a wee boys scarf but my intervention obviously confused them and for a while it looked like they might turn on me instead of doing the right thing. To be fair for a minute I actually thought about knocking the twat off the platform but that's not acceptable behaviour in today's society so I simply produced my phone and told the young whippersnapper that I was recording footage of a scarf thief. He had second thoughts then and threw the stolen scarf back to the young St Mirren delinquent who had been winding him up in the first place. Like I said modern world, modern game and just because your an old fud it doesn't mean your not a player. Fecking cowshed aggro. Thick as shit

Does my head when people assume players not screaming in the refs face means they agree with the decision.  Reilly clearly did show where he had been hit.

I don't know if there was contact or not, couldn't see from my angle.

However as you will know, for right or wrong, players protest decisions they don't agree with at every level of football. Indeed several times today Saints players vigorously protested decisions that went against us.

The Morgan shot which deflected off a Morton player and went out, and was given as a goal kick shortly before 1-1 was rightly protested by almost our whole team.

When Reilly was booked every other St Mirren player jogged back to their position without a word. Maybe they were all wrong, would like to see it again.

44 minutes ago, Kemp said:

There was nothing soft about the Saints penalty, it was a very clear pull on the shirt after Morgan had left the three Morton boys looking stupid.

The Morton player was a few yards outside the box when he blatantly pulled Morgan down. Lewis fell inside the box. I thought McLean also badly got it wrong when he booked Reilly for diving... it was on the edge of the box and I think their no.5 could easily have been red carded. Reilly had no reason to dive having gone past him and being through on goal with only the keeper to beat.

I wish McLean had been firmer with yellow cards sooner - Stellious could have been booked first half for persistent fouls but so could around 4 Morton players where it looked like they were taking it turns to foul Morgan, Smith, McGinn and Reilly at the first opportunity.  Oliver should have been in the book long before his booking at the end for the flying 2 footed foul with studs up on Stellious.

Final 30 minutes opened up into an end to end game, and we got our goals in the 10 minute spell where Morgan found himself in a bit of space in an attacking position. Stewart was OK when he came on but the game was crying out for Sutton to get the last 20 minutes or so.

Thought we worked hard all over the park today, huffed and puffed at times and final ball could have been better. Morton defended very well and were quite physical which we dealt with better later on. Referee had a mixed game for me. Too lenient in first hour over a number of feisty challenges but then threw in a few iffy decisions. Thought Reilly didn't dive, need to see it again. Had chances to win but overall happy to still be top tonight and undefeated in league at home. Reilly goal was a [emoji527]

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The Morton player was a few yards outside the box when he blatantly pulled Morgan down. Lewis fell inside the box. 

Had it been a tug outside and he fell inside then it should have been a free kick but I'm pretty sure he held him and the foul continued inside the box which is a penalty. 

From where I was sitting in the family stand I thought the red called this one correct as the foul continued inside the box.

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

Thought Reilly went down far too easily at the time . At the end of the game someone asked the students from Saints tv if it was - they said it looked a dive .  

One wonders if they will let anyone at all in to University these days.

It's a f**king stonewaller!

Just now, davidg said:

Had it been a tug outside and he fell inside then it should have been a free kick but I'm pretty sure he held him and the foul continued inside the box which is a penalty. 

From where I was sitting in the family stand I thought the red called this one correct as the foul continued inside the box.

It was close, I was in the main stand, row b and about 15 yards up from the edge of the box. The Morton player was definitely a few yards outside the box when he grabbed at Morgan and I would have said Morgan was on the edge of the box and his momentum meant that he fell a yard or two inside the box.

As others have said for the Morton penalty, given the ref had stopped it being taken twice to speak to different sets of players about pushing and pulling in the box it was crazy for Buchanan to do it just after he was the last person spoken to just before the ref allowed the corner to be taken. I did think the Morton player made the most of it.