St Mirren V Morton 28th Oct

Jimmy H

Guest TPAFKATS
Anyone suggesting that McGinn was poor needs his head felt.
I think we actually improved when Stewart came on. He created space by occupying a couple of defenders when on the ball, and linked up well enough with his team mates. My preference was for Sutton to come on, but big Ross did well.

McGinn made a couple of errors but was still our best player. He bossed the midfield and was probably MOM (or Gaston the manky mob keeper)

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

McGinn made a couple of errors but was still our best player. He bossed the midfield and was probably MOM (or Gaston the manky mob keeper)

I thought Smith (Cammy) deserved the award. Chased everything, and did really well to set up Reilly's goal.

1 hour ago, Mr Zo said:

Just watched the highlights package St Mirren tv put together and they didn't clear up anything other than Morgan penalty could have been awarded as a free kick just outside the box. There was no footage of the Morton penalty incident. Disappointing stuff.

I tried to post the video but it won't work it's on the St Mirren fans FC Facebook page. link is.

https://www.facebook.com/david.park.92102/videos/1499298180117415/

Having looked at it, it looks like Morgan slipped and fell on his arse when no Morton Player was near him. Haven't see ST Mirren TV and In the West Stand I never had a great view of the incident. this footage suggests  we were fortunate to get the award. Win some, lose some I'm not so aggrieved about Reilly now but Buchanan,  Well that's another story.

Edited by East Lothian Saint
simulation

11 hours ago, norrie82 said:

Age means nothing.  Sutton would offer more than Stewart that's obvious.  I am very surprised and a little dissapointed that he didn't get on. 

It's not obvious.

Stewart and Sutton offer different things to the team.

Sutton came on v Balatoni and Grant last week and was poor.

He would have been up against CH's of similar calibre yesterday.

I like Sutton, but could we stop blaming every draw/defeat on the fact that Sutton didn't play at some point and Stewart did.

2 hours ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Where did the player pretending to be Harkins come from? He put in a proper shift for them yesterday, more tackles in one game than in his whole time with us

Seemed to be playing defensive central mid, he did well stopping Morgan on a few occasions.  It wasn't nice to see but fair play to Jim Duffy for finding a use for the fat waster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZunVlSjWaY

Our penalty: These views from another angle indicate Morgan's jersey was being pulled just outside the box, his momentum taking him into and going down inside the box. I can't see from this camera angle if the Morton player is still holding the jersey as their momentum carries them forward into the box. However, the referee appears to be better placed than this camera angle so presumably, his judgement was that the Morton player continued to impede Morgan in this manner when he was inside the box.

Their penalty: Still no clear footage.

Reilly incident: Appears from this angle that Reilly was unfairly tackled just outside the box so should have been a free kick for us and no diving booking for Reilly. 

Edited by Westmarcher

Penalty or no penalty will continue to be debated but the thing i dont understand is why  they took a free kick from the the restart . 

I could be wrong but should play not  just have continued and the booking for simulation should have taken place once play had stopped . I dont recall a rule change whereby simulation stops play and a free kick awarded to the other team .  Should the ref not just have waved play on and if the ball went out then it was a goal kick.

Happy to be corrected if i am wrong .

Can't say i managed to enjoy the game at all yesterday due to two extremely loud mouthed woman screaming and swearing for a solid 90mins about anything and everything.

They had a young lad with them too which shocked me after hearing what they were shouting. They were an absolute disgrace & i hope it's just a one off game they attended because i really couldn't suffer them for a whole game every second Saturday sitting behind me.

My ears are still ringing.

Anyway. 2-2. Not the worst point in the world at home against a reasonable Morton side.

I've changed my mind on the first penalty incident. At the game and after the match I was convinced it happened outside the box. Having seen the footage the club posted on you tube of A Different Angle of the key incidents I've come round to davidg's post match comments that the jersey pull did continue into the box. The footage from David Park from behind the goal is at an angle where you can't see Doyle yank the back of Morgan's jersey (hence why someone posts it looks like Morgan slipped). The protests from Doyle and other Morton players were not that there was no jersey pull and foul but that it had taken place outside the box.

Having seen the second angle on the Reilly penalty shout I think it is a clear foul and second booking for O Ware rather than a dive and yellow for Reilly. I'm still not sure whether this was in the box or outside and had the ref awarded a free kick and sent O Ware off then I would have had no complaints given it was such a marginal call and split second decision. You do wonder whether McLean had any doubts when Reilly showed him his cut and also wonder why the main stand linesman (who must have had a similar view to Jack Ross and Jim Duffy who both thought it was a penalty from their angle) was not consulted. (Had the west stand linesman been consulted I would not have been confident in his ability to make the correct call given his inability to spot the obvious directly in front of him throughout the entire 90 minutes).

For me they had got stuck in right from the start, we have no one who could hit them back this was a game where we need a soldier in the  middle off the park someone that will get stuck in thats where we went wrong today didn'tsee anyone get stuck in like there full team. But on a positive note at least it was a point gained in our bid to go up 

I thought mcginn done a great job of doing exactly that getting stuck in.

We were the better side and should of won had more than enough chances but that’s football don’t always get what you deserve

Are we big game bottlers?

big away crowds ar Dunfermline, Falkirk and now Morton home and away, but the team seem unable to nail down a win. Apart from the ridiculous decision booking Reilly we really only had ourselves to blame for snatching a draw from the jaws of Victory.

said it before, and surely its obvious to most now? Ross Stewart cant hold up his hand, never mind the ball! His job is to be a complete handfull at set pieces, and to hold it up and bring others into play. On saturday almost without fail everytime the ball was played to him hevwas outmuscled/manouvered and the ball came straight back down the park again. Please also excuse me, i may be wrong but i can't remember him winning a header on Saturday

surely now Ross can see this isnt his game, and that he should be playing Sutton if he wants to boss the opposition defence and see knock downs to bring others in to the game

1. We murdered United at home as well as Falkirk on the first day of the season. Both big games.

2. I thought Stewart played well when he came on. He’s different to Sutton as he provides movement. I think Sutton wouldn’t have got much change out of their defence. Horses for courses n’that.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Are we big game bottlers?

big away crowds ar Dunfermline, Falkirk and now Morton home and away, but the team seem unable to nail down a win. Apart from the ridiculous decision booking Reilly we really only had ourselves to blame for snatching a draw from the jaws of Victory.

said it before, and surely its obvious to most now? Ross Stewart cant hold up his hand, never mind the ball! His job is to be a complete handfull at set pieces, and to hold it up and bring others into play. On saturday almost without fail everytime the ball was played to him hevwas outmuscled/manouvered and the ball came straight back down the park again. Please also excuse me, i may be wrong but i can't remember him winning a header on Saturday

surely now Ross can see this isnt his game, and that he should be playing Sutton if he wants to boss the opposition defence and see knock downs to bring others in to the game

Last week's match at Falkirk gave us all the best indications to  why Sutton doesn't get a regular outing. He contribution was nil in the game. 

I like the big man and always have done, but he's going to be a squad player who will from time to time play his part and score the odd goal like he did at Dumbarton.

Ross Stewart is a young guy playing at his first full time club and he's a working progress, yes he's raw but every opposition fan I've spoken to say he's so awkward to play against and that he offers us something different to our forward line.

I like him and I reckon he's a good option to have coming off the bench at present, he'll progress in my opinion, but that's what it's all about. We all see it different.

2 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Last week's match at Falkirk gave us all the best indications to  why Sutton doesn't get a regular outing. He contribution was nil in the game. 

I like the big man and always have done, but he's going to be a squad player who will from time to time play his part and score the odd goal like he did at Dumbarton.

Ross Stewart is a young guy playing at his first full time club and he's a working progress, yes he's raw but every opposition fan I've spoken to say he's so awkward to play against and that he offers us something different to our forward line.

I like him and I reckon he's a good option to have coming off the bench at present, he'll progress in my opinion, but that's what it's all about. We all see it different.

I pretty much agree with this about Stewart , he's been getting a bit of abuse previous games but Jacks sticking by him and i think he will be a good player for us . 

I thought that had the game lasted another 10 minutes, we might well have lost it as Morton came on strongly in the second half. That's quite a few weeks now we have been below par but thankfully still holding on at the top of the table. I was right in line with the first penalty and it was a wrong call. Morgan was having his shirt pulled but outside the box - a foul only. Contact inside the box does not constitute a penalty unless its a foul. Couldn't see the Morton one but not surprised that ref gave another wrong decision. We badly need injured defenders back to strengthen things ( where is Davis ?) I`m not a great fan of Sutton but he should have been on against Morton for his power and strength. Anyway, need a bit of improvement for next week at Dundee or we could lose top spot.

Draw a derby match, end result, we are Top of the league at this stage of the season with a weakened or reportedly under strength squad, I’ll take that ta. Of course that’s predicated on the basis that we get stronger throughout the season. Also that JR doesn’t do a Fergie and leave for Furry boot city.