Accies & the Nigerian Prince!

Bud the Baker

29 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Football club Hamilton Academical has lost what it described as a "substantial sum" due to fraud.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-41615050

I'm sure I heard it was three quarters of their gate receipts.

The culprits were last seen splashing out on a Big Mac with fries. Only one between them mind!

47 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Football club Hamilton Academical has lost what it described as a "substantial sum" due to fraud.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-41615050

That Nigerian Prince has emailed me before along with a General asking me to help them out with a financial matter , luckily I decided my bank details are personal.

Les Gray being chairman of Hamilton and a director of a finance company get's duped financially ? not a good advert for his finance company is it. His finance company are shareholders of the accies and our own director Alan Wardrop is also a director of that finance company, hope we haven't invested in the scheme - whatever it is.

• 3 months later...

Ouch!

The club said the first two payments - of £40,000 and £70,000 - were initially suspended by RBS's cyber security team.

But the club employee was convinced by the scammers to ignore the warnings and continue the transactions.

The following day £655,000 went out in 20 transactions.

RBS confirmed it has yet to receive a formal response from the club's lawyers.

A spokeswoman said: "The bank is confident that there has been no breakdown in our security procedures in regards to this scam and that no unauthorised persons were able to gain access to any of the club's banking facilities.

"All payments were keyed and approved by the authorised user of the club's account.

"The bank contacted HAFC to question the transactions on two separate occasions and the customer instructed the bank to continue with the payments.

"RBS is working with Hamilton Academical Football Club and supporting Police Scotland to identify the perpetrators of this scam. "