Living On A Island Any Island Within The UK

Isle Of Bute Saint

Was having error signs on our comercial dishwasher when I fired it up for the first time yesterday. So I phoned up Winterhalter the manufactor who told me I had to contact Lockharts  from whom we bought all our equipment and crockery from. Lockhart told me because we are not on the UK mainland we don't have any warranty on any of the equipment , dishwasher , ovens , fridges and I will need to pay to have anything fixed. I asked Lockhart why I was not informed about this before purchase. They told me they informed Grant the salesman to inform me. He did not inform ne in fact I asked him who had the best back up service for commercial dishwashers as it's a very important piece of kit for things to run smoothly.I called consumers rights who told me to write to Lockharts co. I'm going to contact my local MP as i'm flabergasted and in shock because you live on an island within the British Isles you have no warranty rights ! 

Sounds like someone who does not know what they are talking about or have been given instructions to try and get out of warranty claims any way they can. If you got the appliance on a credit card, you should be covered by insurance that way.

24 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

As far as I'm aware, you should have a minimum of a 12 month warranty on any new manufactured equipment, irrespective of where you live in the EU.  You should also have the right to return it as not fit for purpose which, I think, makes them liable for the cost of return.

I am, of course, assuming that it was bought new.  Not sure about the conditions for second hand equipment.

Its all new eqipment.  Im on the case will keep the thread informed of up-dates when i get feed back. 

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Was having error signs on our comercial dishwasher when I fired it up for the first time yesterday. So I phoned up Winterhalter the manufactor who told me I had to contact Lockharts  from whom we bought all our equipment and crockery from. Lockhart told me because we are not on the UK mainland we don't have any warranty on any of the equipment , dishwasher , ovens , fridges and I will need to pay to have anything fixed. I asked Lockhart why I was not informed about this before purchase. They told me they informed Grant the salesman to inform me. He did not inform me in fact I asked him who had the best back up service for commercial dishwashers as it's a very important piece of kit for things to run smoothly.I called consumers rights who told me to write to Lockharts co. I'm going to contact my local MP as i'm flabergasted and in shock because you live on an island within the British Isles you have no warranty rights ! 

I can't imagine some, supposed, word of mouth information would be sufficient if this was to become a legal situation? 

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Phoned the local trading standard's when i told the woman she started laughing in disbelief ! She has passed on the details to the department been told they will look into it and get back to me. 

Mate , I reckon Bute should go to war ................ Scotland will support you- remember we have Trident :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

No, it isn't.

It's a collection of islands.

Actually, how big does a continuous landmass have to be to not be an island?  I suppose you could technically class every continuous bit of land as an island if there is no limit as, no matter where you are talking about, it is surrounded by water.

Anyway, getting of subject now.

And you started so well!!!!!!!:whistle

2 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Shut up - no I never. :)

No mate it was a great start, then it got a bit flawed

UK is a hell of a lot of islands, as has Finland, ( has 180,000)Sweden, Denmark and a few choice others

Then the landmass bit creeped in , oh dear , oh well never mind.....................................

So eh is the US an island- No- cause Canada and Mexico ruined it for them. Happy to give you far more facts as not only can I google but I also got a B in my Geog Higher:D

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

It says "Service" not "Warranty".  If they are saying that he must pay for it then "Service" must be available to him.

"Service may not be available to all the islands around the UK and Ireland. Please check with your retailer or contact our customer service department."

Of course, it also says "They do not affect your statutory rights or the obligations of your retailer and your contract with them." and I would assume that your statutory rights supersede any warranty T&Cs.

I think a warranty is a service not a product and so use of the word "service" might be justified.

47 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

No, it isn't.

It's a collection of islands.

Actually, how big does a continuous landmass have to be to not be an island?  I suppose you could technically class every continuous bit of land as an island if there is no limit as, no matter where you are talking about, it is surrounded by water.

Anyway, getting of subject now.

If you have a look at chaos theory, the coastal outline of the UK or other "islands" is fractal. This means that if you were to measure the perimeter exactly, you would essentially have a finite surface area enclosed by an infinitely long border.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If you have a look at chaos theory, the coastal outline of the UK or other "islands" is fractal. This means that if you were to measure the perimeter exactly, you would essentially have a finite surface area enclosed by an infinitely long border.

Aye- That explanation !!!

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I think a warranty is a service not a product and so use of the word "service" might be justified.

A warranty is a guarantee, in this case for a consumer product, which will state that if it breaks down within a certain period, then it will be fixed / replaced.

9 hours ago, melmac said:

A warranty is a guarantee, in this case for a consumer product, which will state that if it breaks down within a certain period, then it will be fixed / replaced.

Yes but is a guarantee a product or a service?

A company can only sell a product or a service AFAIK. Happy to be proven wrong though.