They did it Their Way

Bud the Baker

Glen Matlock reworked the intro of SOS by Abba in Pretty Vacant.

David Bowie attempted to rewrite My Way in English, gave up but eventually had another go and came up with Life on Mars which is dedicated to Frank on the Hunky Dory elpee,

..............and possibly the daddy of them all Smells Like a Teen Spirit which is Nirvana copying Boston's More Than a Feeling which in itself is an homage to The Kingsmen's Louie Louie.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Glen Matlock reworked the intro of SOS by Abba in Pretty Vacant.

David Bowie attempted to rewrite My Way in English, gave up but eventually had another go and came up with Life on Mars which is dedicated to Frank on the Hunky Dory elpee,

..............and possibly the daddy of them all Smells Like a Teen Spirit which is Nirvana copying Boston's More Than a Feeling which in itself is an homage to The Kingsmen's Louie Louie.

Ah , Louie , Louie is an interesting one . The Kingsmen originally recorded the song in one take as they were told there was not enough money to do more than one. 

Despite the fact that the song is just a nonsense song about nothing in particular all,  the FBI decided to investigate the song because someone reported it as being subversive .  The investigation found nothing of course , despite the fact that the drummer shouts out "oh f**k" about half way through , as he had dropped one of his sticks. .

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Ah , Louie , Louie is an interesting one . The Kingsmen originally recorded the song in one take as they were told there was not enough money to do more than one. 

Despite the fact that the song is just a nonsense song about nothing in particular all,  the FBI decided to investigate the song because someone reported it as being subversive .  The investigation found nothing of course , despite the fact that the drummer shouts out "oh f**k" about half way through , as he had dropped one of his sticks. .

Both The Kingsmen & Richard Perry the writer got no money from the song for years until they went to court in separate cases.

There was a program on BBC4 last week Rock'n'Roll's Dodgiest Deals presented by Sharon Osbourne (no stranger to a dodgy deal herself :rolleyes: ) probably still on BBC iPlayer, well worth a watch. Specially interesting for me is the naivety of The Beatles who ended up having to pay Dick James 50% to the royalties from their own songs.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Sounds goods.  

Yeh I know the Kingsmen made more money play the song repeatedly in shopping malls than from the record sales. The song has also been covered extensively.  .

Incidently , I believe that Stairway to Heaven was inspired by Suzy Watson-Taylor  who worked in the studio and had conversations with the band at that time.  .

• 2 weeks later...