Dundee United V St Mirren

St.Ricky

If we have title winning aspirations we shouldn't be losing to a United team that has Tam Scobie and Durnin in their defence. We are lacking in the final third and defensively well ...... lest said the better. Too many cheap goals being given away every week. 

Break may come at a good time for us  - time to regroup and go again 

COYS !

6 minutes ago, Dare said:

If we have title winning aspirations we shouldn't be losing to a United team that has Tam Scobie and Durnin in their defence. We are lacking in the final third and defensively well ...... lest said the better. Too many cheap goals being given away every week. 

Break may come at a good time for us  - time to regroup and go again 

COYS !

Definitely. We wasted many dead ball chances today,need to sort that out soon as, we made opportunities up towards the box today as well but we looked fairly toothless.

2 hours ago, munoz said:

This guy has nothing on you !

image.jpeg

this is a more accurate depiction of the galactically stupid elvis,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuwwWxr4So5Jcj7zFoxVs

it is worth mentioning that he does reel in too many people on this forum,

some people should know better,  give elvis his own thread and pin it

then he won't stink the matchday threads out.

Edited by Hoof Hearted

Just absolutely out played all game by united today, not much of a contest really. We are incredibly limited in terms of how we can vary the team right now, we have no impact subs on the bench at all who will come on and actually change the game, Sutton isn't a bad player to bring on every now and then, but you can see today after he came on why jack doesn't start him in games, he didn't offer any genuine attacking threat what so ever today. When he is on his game he is a good player for us but too often he just isn't there.  We really need a few players in in January that will bring something different to what we have right now.

Thought McGinn and Eckersley played really well today. Samson had a couple of great saves, but not sure about him on Utd's first. Too many had off days.
Smith was getting a torrid time from their left winger, McCart's distribution was dire , McShane's deliveries and touch were woeful, Morgan had a stinker(by his high standards), Magennis needs more games and we were punting it high and long to wee Reilly for much of the game.
There was some OK passages of play at times, but when we had the chance to break it was far too slow. We had loads of corners, but didn't threaten with any of them (miss McKenzie goal threat for that big time)
Unimpressed again by a Utd team with a strong squad, who I think will improve with a new manager.
The last few games have highlighted how important Morgan is to us. When on form he is the key to unlocking defences or scoring goals out of nothing. He wasn't at it today and the Utd keeper didn't have to make a save that I can remember until injury time. Teams are getting wise to Lewis and sweeping across to cover his marker, killing his space.
Still think we can get it together again and go on another good run, but today was frustrating and disappointing.

From a neutral 's point of view (and I am not one) this was a great advert for the championship. From a St Mirren Supporters point of view (mine) we had most of the possession , pressed high up the pitch and won more corners. Sad truth on the day however that we made fewer good chances than United did hitting us on the break. Poor first goal to give away from a set piece. What did I like? The fighting spirit in the team and the Eckersley goal. What could be better? The final ball in the last third and the defence positioning  (where was Eckersley) for their second goal?

In the cold light of day we're still joint top of the league and most would have been happy with that after 12 games.

However we are on a poor run and the next game in the Scottish Cup could be a god send as it could boost our confidence if we have an impressive win and score a few goals.

Also, as a few have mentioned, we are, hopefully, getting closer to a couple of injured players back so the next few weeks could see us pick things up again. 

From a neutral 's point of view (and I am not one) this was a great advert for the championship. From a St Mirren Supporters point of view (mine) we had most of the possession , pressed high up the pitch and won more corners. Sad truth on the day however that we made fewer good chances than United did hitting us on the break. Poor first goal to give away from a set piece. What did I like? The fighting spirit in the team and the Eckersley goal. What could be better? The final ball in the last third and the defence positioning  (where was Eckersley) for their second goal?

Not sure I agree with the possession bit. According to the stats we had significantly less possession and shots on goal and, in fact, I thought we were the team playing on the counter. Utd bossed that game from the start and the only time we took over was the last 15 mins of the first half when Morgan was moved to the left. They were delighted to see the HT break but when the restart came we were back to Morgan on the right. I didn’t understand that at all.

There is something in this team’s make up that’s stopping us expressing ourselves away from home. That’s bad defeats at Morton, Dunfermline and Utd and we’ve got to find a way to be a bit more robust in these games. 10 goals conceded in those three and it’s not all to do with the back four.

Our squad is as good as any in the league but we’re going through a patch where our best player’s (Morgan) form has shaded and nobody else is stepping up. The decision to move Magennis inside yesterday and stick Cammy Smith out wide was a strange one as Smith has been arguably our best player in recent weeks playing in behind Reilly. Young Kyle is nowhere near back to his best and while he undoubtedly needs games how long can we carry him until he gets back to full fitness/sharpness?

The other worry yesterday was Liam Smith. After a great start with us he’s been pretty poor in the last three games and I can’t believe Stelios wouldn’t give us a better option at right back just now.

Still, top of the league at the beginning of November and we can stake as good a claim as any to the title at this stage. Expect Falkirk and ICT to make a run as the season goes on so there will be a lot of tight matches and points dropped. Can’t see anyone streaking away with this so we’ll just have to be patient and hope that we get some of the injured back and the better players find their form again.

Didn't deserve anything from the last 3/4 games as like today we were rotten, best player big Adam then Baird. Every week it' frustrating to watch as JR changes his defence about, why not keep the same defence instead off changing a couple off players every week. 

1 hour ago, DLBud said:

Not sure I agree with the possession bit. According to the stats we had significantly less possession and shots on goal and, in fact, I thought we were the team playing on the counter. Utd bossed that game from the start and the only time we took over was the last 15 mins of the first half when Morgan was moved to the left. They were delighted to see the HT break but when the restart came we were back to Morgan on the right. I didn’t understand that at all.

There is something in this team’s make up that’s stopping us expressing ourselves away from home. That’s bad defeats at Morton, Dunfermline and Utd and we’ve got to find a way to be a bit more robust in these games. 10 goals conceded in those three and it’s not all to do with the back four.

Our squad is as good as any in the league but we’re going through a patch where our best player’s (Morgan) form has shaded and nobody else is stepping up. The decision to move Magennis inside yesterday and stick Cammy Smith out wide was a strange one as Smith has been arguably our best player in recent weeks playing in behind Reilly. Young Kyle is nowhere near back to his best and while he undoubtedly needs games how long can we carry him until he gets back to full fitness/sharpness?

The other worry yesterday was Liam Smith. After a great start with us he’s been pretty poor in the last three games and I can’t believe Stelios wouldn’t give us a better option at right back just now.

Still, top of the league at the beginning of November and we can stake as good a claim as any to the title at this stage. Expect Falkirk and ICT to make a run as the season goes on so there will be a lot of tight matches and points dropped. Can’t see anyone streaking away with this so we’ll just have to be patient and hope that we get some of the injured back and the better players find their form again.

I felt that the official figures given didnt reflect what I saw. United had most of the first 15 minutes. We then, I thpught had more with the last 15 very even as we pressed and they broke. 

Didn't deserve anything from the last 3/4 games as like today we were rotten, best player big Adam then Baird. Every week it' frustrating to watch as JR changes his defence about, why not keep the same defence instead off changing a couple off players every week. 

He's kind of been forced to change it about due to suspensions, injuries and dips in form etc.

Everyweek come on bud there' no stability there if he keeps doing that and as you have said also a dip in form the next game we will see Morgan, mcginn, Smith on the bench ? 

In the first 10 matches we've seen 4 red cards which means instant suspension. We've seen Liam Smith join the club and then got an injury.
Eckersley wasn't fit to start the season, he has also just come back from another injury, Mckenzie has done his achillies, Davis is still recovering.
McCart had an injury.

The only person that hasn't been injured or suspended is Stelios who people have had a go at for goals at Dunfermline and other places. I'm not sure how he could play a settled back 4 after all this in the first 10 games.

Though I'd happily bet that Jack wants to play a settled back 4 of Eckersley Mackenzie Davis Smith but he just hasn't had the opportunity.

I would hope that we have cover to be able bring in guys if/when the player's you mention hit a dip in form or are suspended though I'm not sure that we do.

Buchanan was on the bench yesterday he wasn't suspended as was stelios I'm just confused that he keeps changing his back line when there was no suspension it must also be a strain and a pain with big Sammy to have confidence in the players in front off him if they keep being rotated. As some have said Gary mac and Davis will be his first choice pairing but the only player that' been getting better and better by the week and not been dropped is Baird where will his place in the team be ?

5 minutes ago, jkd said:

Buchanan was on the bench yesterday he wasn't suspended as was stelios I'm just confused that he keeps changing his back line when there was no suspension it must also be a strain and a pain with big Sammy to have confidence in the players in front off him if they keep being rotated. As some have said Gary mac and Davis will be his first choice pairing but the only player that' been getting better and better by the week and not been dropped is Baird where will his place in the team be ?

This is the common denominator to us only winning one out of the last five. The two goals conceded last week didnt come as a result of poor play by the back four, but yet again its changed, and we lose against a team no better than us.

will say it till i am blue in the face, the team that makes the least mistakes will win this league, that includes picks, formation and tactics. The managements team need to up their game and stop making unforced errors. We should be seven points clear now.

My guess on Buchanan being dropped would be the fact he needlessly gave away a penalty last week.

I think Baird will feature most games, I know that goes against everyone's preferred back line but he is proving to be the one CH jack can trust.