Dundee United V St Mirren

St.Ricky

5 hours ago, DLBud said:

Not sure I agree with the possession bit. According to the stats we had significantly less possession and shots on goal and, in fact, I thought we were the team playing on the counter. Utd bossed that game from the start and the only time we took over was the last 15 mins of the first half when Morgan was moved to the left. They were delighted to see the HT break but when the restart came we were back to Morgan on the right. I didn’t understand that at all.

There is something in this team’s make up that’s stopping us expressing ourselves away from home. That’s bad defeats at Morton, Dunfermline and Utd and we’ve got to find a way to be a bit more robust in these games. 10 goals conceded in those three and it’s not all to do with the back four.

Our squad is as good as any in the league but we’re going through a patch where our best player’s (Morgan) form has shaded and nobody else is stepping up. The decision to move Magennis inside yesterday and stick Cammy Smith out wide was a strange one as Smith has been arguably our best player in recent weeks playing in behind Reilly. Young Kyle is nowhere near back to his best and while he undoubtedly needs games how long can we carry him until he gets back to full fitness/sharpness?

The other worry yesterday was Liam Smith. After a great start with us he’s been pretty poor in the last three games and I can’t believe Stelios wouldn’t give us a better option at right back just now.

Still, top of the league at the beginning of November and we can stake as good a claim as any to the title at this stage. Expect Falkirk and ICT to make a run as the season goes on so there will be a lot of tight matches and points dropped. Can’t see anyone streaking away with this so we’ll just have to be patient and hope that we get some of the injured back and the better players find their form again.

Wouldn't say a 2-1 loss away from home against Utd is a 'bad' defeat. Dunfermline and Soaps were bad defeats.

Alot of knicker wetting on here regarding last 3 results 2 away games against the 2 favourite's for the League Title before season started who both in the 2 weeks before us sacked their manager and as seems to happens(except at St Mirren) the players started to perform alot better, add to that a Derby match. I don't really worry about not winning any of the last 3 really hard games as we have another 24 to go and we will spend alot of that time occupying all the top 4 positions after last few season I would still happily accept top 4 as think we are a team suited to the play offs. Also seems many people saying Dundee United are terrible well if they are terrible being joint top is a really great terrible imo. Saints, Dunfermline and United have squads of very similar abilities.

7 hours ago, melmac said:

We're really desperate for someone to challenge McShane, a Jim Goodwin figure if you will but I suppose most teams are  looking for that. 

Agree with this. McShane is a talented player and looks great in some games but loses form. Kilmarnock seem to have picked up a decent Irish  player in Alan Power from Lincoln or Hartlepool - might be some decent talent to be scouted in our price range particularly if Lewis is moving on . I thought the young boy Storrie on loan from Aberdeen looked decent last season just didn't get enough game time. Starting to look like we need to strengthen in January.

We were poor in the first half, played reasonably well in the 2nd. Gave Utd too much respect early on, leaving Reilly quite isolated in the first half.

Haven't seen the highlights but thought Samson at fault for the first goal, although he made numerous very smart saves in the remainder of the match. Morgan being doubled up on every time now - we need to make more of the space this creates. 

Thought Eckersley really solid and a great goal, young Smith on the right had his poorest game for us in my opinion, first half especially. Thought both McGinn and McShane poor, never had control of the game, gave the ball away too easily. We still caused them a number of problems, in the second half especially without any real end product.

Good time for a rest as others have said. Time for Jack to reinforce his ideas on the squad and motivate them once again. Seemed to lack a wee bit of confidence early on - linked with giving them too much respect. 

This defeat has been coming, but we're still top, and still have a squad capable of winning the league, although Utd may be a different proposition with a new manager. Time to start showing our class again.

6 hours ago, Soctty said:

We were poor in the first half, played reasonably well in the 2nd. Gave Utd too much respect early on, leaving Reilly quite isolated in the first half.

Haven't seen the highlights but thought Samson at fault for the first goal, although he made numerous very smart saves in the remainder of the match. Morgan being doubled up on every time now - we need to make more of the space this creates. 

Thought Eckersley really solid and a great goal, young Smith on the right had his poorest game for us in my opinion, first half especially. Thought both McGinn and McShane poor, never had control of the game, gave the ball away too easily. We still caused them a number of problems, in the second half especially without any real end product.

Good time for a rest as others have said. Time for Jack to reinforce his ideas on the squad and motivate them once again. Seemed to lack a wee bit of confidence early on - linked with giving them too much respect. 

This defeat has been coming, but we're still top, and still have a squad capable of winning the league, although Utd may be a different proposition with a new manager. Time to start showing our class again.

Jut watched the Highlights . Samson was indeed poor for the first goal but also made several decent saves . Who was meant to be picking up the United player that scored the first ?  To get such an easy free header is criminal defending- shocking marking and for their second, Eckersley was posted missing .

Cracking goal from Eckersly .

Jut watched the Highlights . Samson was indeed poor for the first goal but also made several decent saves . Who was meant to be picking up the United player that scored the first ?  To get such an easy free header is criminal defending- shocking marking and for their second, Eckersley was posted missing .

Would think Eckersley probably pushing forward as we were behind, but haven't seen the highlights yet. I did say Samson made several saves to keep us in it, but the loss of first goal was crucial. I've no issue with Samson this season - done far more good than bad.

He seemed to get dragged into the middle. Not sure if he felt he had to cover for McCart, Eckersley that is.

There were a couple of times their right winger found himself with acres of space when normally Ecko would have been tight to him.

35 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Just watched the highlights. Abysmal defending and not for the first time this season. There were holes big enough in our defence to drive all 4 supporters buses straight through. It's time JR sorted this out. Irs been poor for a while.

5 buses B)