Nothing changes...........Older drivers

faraway saint

Yest another tragic story on the news, a 28 year old killed by a car driven by a 78 year old who............wait for this................was blind in one eye and partially sighted in the other. :angry:

When, oh when, will something be done about older people who are clearly not safe to drive? 

These stories crop up every year, makes me really angry and sad.

Tragic and avoidable. :(

54 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Yest another tragic story on the news, a 28 year old killed by a car driven by a 78 year old who............wait for this................was blind in one eye and partially sighted in the other. :angry:

When, oh when, will something be done about older people who are clearly not safe to drive? 

I would implement a yearly medical for anyone over 65 (possibly younger) . This on its own wouldn't be enough, as the individual who's driving could hide a medical condition as we seen with the terrible bin lorry accident, but it would help. 

Lorry drivers start getting a medical to be able to drive at 45 , why not the rest of the driving public?

1 hour ago, renfrew said:

I thought the stats for accidents said that older drivers were the safest on the road. Since the goverment could make money out of the medical I am surprise it doesn't happen. I would say all age group have safe and dangerous drivers.

Of course every age group has dangerous drivers but there's a clear link between the signs of age and accidents like the one reported on todays news. :blink:

Happens every year, it becomes a "news worthy" item then disappears.

Edited by faraway saint

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Of course every age group has dangerous drivers but there's a clear link between the signs of age and accidents like the one reported on todays news. :blink:

You will presumably be able to provide some peer reviewed research demonstrating this?

I would prefer to read that than the gum bashing of a football forum numpty.

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to recent statistics of the age of drivers who cause accidents.

33 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You will presumably be able to provide some peer reviewed research demonstrating this?

I would prefer to read that than the gum bashing of a football forum numpty.

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to recent statistics of the age of drivers who cause accidents.

The man was fecking blind in one eye, also his other eye was shit, hope this is sufficient evidence.

Oh check the BBC news, you know, search as you have no friends to discuss this with. :rolleyes:

Edited by faraway saint

7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

One of my cousins was killed along with one of her friends at the age of 19, 7 years ago after an 80 yr old driver exited a roundabout on to the wrong side of the road and hit their car head on further up the road on the dual carriageway. The old fella also lost his life that night and my cousins other friend who was driving, lost her unborn child. That moment gave me the same feeling as you have described and it is hard to think any differently. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

check the BBC news, you know, search as you have no friends to discuss this with. :rolleyes:

You want me to check the BBC for peer reviewed research :lol:?

You don't just take a couple of tabloid stories and start making broad generalisations over an entire age group FFS.

The biggest risk group for car accidents are young men. Period. Backed by actual research. Implemented by every car insurance company. Educate yourself FFS.

Edited by oaksoft

You want me to check the BBC for peer reviewed research [emoji38]?
You don't just take a couple of tabloid stories and start making broad generalisations over an entire age group FFS.
The biggest risk group for car accidents are young men. Period. Backed by actual research. Implemented by every car insurance company. Educate yourself FFS.

I'd expect better from you Oaksoft. You're trying to oversimplify a complex issue. Of course young men cause most accidents. However this is due to conscious and objectively dangerous / reckless driving behaviour.

The type of accidents, of which there are a significant number, discussed in this thread are sadly unconscious behaviour.

The former is a huge culture in driving behaviour that is very difficult to influence. The latter on the other hand, whilst impossible to stop completely, might be able to be reduced through implementation of a capability / reactions type test at a particular point where it can be established that there is significant reduction in capability on average.

Remember that research can be both inductive and deductive. Peer review might or might not exist, but that doesn't automatically invalidate the hypothesis either way. Especially not when trying to compare two different problems...

38 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Where did I say they weren't?

You really are a silly chunt.

As usual you try to derail the subject while trying to look smart, and failing.

See post above and stop trolling me, you really are out of your depth. :lol:

Run along. :byebye

6 hours ago, renfrew said:

I thought the stats for accidents said that older drivers were the safest on the road. Since the goverment could make money out of the medical I am surprise it doesn't happen. I would say all age group have safe and dangerous drivers.

Indeed , I remember my old man chucked the driving in his early 7ts as he felt his night vision was failling , he  probably did it just in time before certain members of the public started clambering for euthanasia to be brought in . .

10 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Indeed , I remember my old man chucked the driving in his early 7ts as he felt his night vision was failling , he  probably did it just in time before certain members of the public started clambering for euthanasia to be brought in . .

:lol:

Thanks for your contribution snake, still got that petted lip I see? :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Aye....................

There are half a million 17- to 19-year-olds with full driving licences and they account for 1.6% of total number that holds a full licence. So yes, they are disproportionately involved in road accidents. But the raw numbers are also revealing here: of the 595,364 young drivers in the UK, 10,235 are involved in accidents – about 2 out of every 100.

What about those older drivers? There are over 4 million individuals holding a full driving licence, but many of these individuals (such as the 107-year-old mentioned in the data) are unlikely to actually be on the roads. They represent 10% of all individuals holding a full licence and are involved in 6% of all road accidents.

2 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Not taking sides here, just pointing something out. The way you have presented the data does not invite comparison of anything except the % of licence holders who are young or old.

For example:-
What are the "raw numbers" for older drivers?
What is the % of accidents involving young drivers?

The "stats" are not really the issue. 

It was Oaky, as usual, veering off topic.

As pointed out by ZA it's the difference in what can be done to reduce the figures.

Cheers. 

Edited by faraway saint

12 hours ago, munoz said:

I would implement a yearly medical for anyone over 65 (possibly younger) . This on its own wouldn't be enough, as the individual who's driving could hide a medical condition as we seen with the terrible bin lorry accident, but it would help. 

Lorry drivers start getting a medical to be able to drive at 45 , why not the rest of the driving public?

Glad your not in charge.  Wouldn't going tarring everyone with the same brush. 

1 minute ago, pod said:

Glad your not in charge.  Wouldn't going tarring everyone with the same brush. 

How do you spot the deterioration then? :blink:

It's the, mostly, a natural loss of eyesight, and reaction time that is a major contributor to these tragedies. 

The current system is down to self declaration.

I fully understand the loss of "freedom" and mobility that some of the older generation could feel but compare that to the death of any innocent member of the public. (See a tragic post earlier)

:(

Just now, pod said:

Keep your optician appointment.

Aye, so, what if people don't? :wacko:

It's currently pretty much "self policed", would you trust that, especially if someone injured or killed a member of your family when a simple minor medical and test could prevent the majority of these tragic preventable accidents?