Nothing changes...........Older drivers

faraway saint

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Some still drink drive also , but neither are acceptable. Not really anything to do with the original point though .

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^.................good point but that's completely down to a choice, unlike a deterioration in ability. 

1 minute ago, pod said:

1 minute ago, pod said:

Totally agree, old and young.

So, are you indicating there's no difference between physical deficiencies between the old and the young?:blink:

I would guess there are young people who have issues with eyesight but I would stick a large "wad" on that this is massively increased in the elderly. 

3 minutes ago, munoz said:

Unfortunately some don't disclose their true medical conditions and carry on driving when they're a risk . 

Airline pilots get a medical every six months and there have still been instances where a pilots health has contributed to the loss of lives in air crashes. .

People are going to die no matter what we do , you simply can't legislate for everything . Most of us will know someone whom has died in some sort of RTA but unless all of us agree to drive everywhere at 20mph then there will be fatalities. Alternatively , all vehicles with an internal combustion engine off the road and everyone gets a bicycle. .

1 minute ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Airline pilots get a medical every six months and there have still been instances where a pilots health has contributed to the loss of lives in air crashes. .

People are going to die no matter what we do , you simply can't legislate for everything . Most of us will know someone whom has died in some sort of RTA but unless all of us agree to drive everywhere at 20mph then there will be fatalities. Alternatively , all vehicles with an internal combustion engine off the road and everyone gets a bicycle. .

Now we're taking off.

Just now, saintnextlifetime said:

But surely only an idiot wouldn't concede that these medicals reduce the opportunity for these tragedies, and being rare would back this up? :rolleyes:

Don't start me on bikists!!! :lol:

3 hours ago, HSS said:

Most young drivers have the spy in the boot black box these days.

Don't you think that , at some point in the not too distant future , all cars are going to have these fitted ? I know many new cars now have some form of tracker in them but how long before it becomes mandatory. .

6 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Don't you think that , at some point in the not too distant future , all cars are going to have these fitted ? I know many new cars now have some form of tracker in them but how long before it becomes mandatory. .

An awful lot of Company Cars now have the black box fitted as standard.

1 minute ago, smcc said:

This is a very interesting discussion but there is at present a shortage of doctors in the UK. I would like to know who would carry out all of these medical examinations.

Opticians could be the first port of call I would imagine as poor eyesight is a major factor.

A minor driving test could tell if a person was still capable of driving to a desired standard rather than doctors. 

8 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Either that or driverless cars will be taking over and then we can all blame computer failure for accidents .

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Opticians could be the first port of call I would imagine as poor eyesight is a major factor.

A minor driving test could tell if a person was still capable of driving to a desired standard rather than doctors. 

An opticians letter every time you renew your car insurance.  :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, pod said:

An opticians letter every time you renew your car insurance.  :rolleyes:

I think anything would improve the current situation.

There are plenty of elderly drivers who are capable, shown fairly recently on a TV programme.

But there are also plenty who, through no fault of their own, are a danger.

I'm get really frustrated by the lack of action to look to solve this issue. 

6 hours ago, zurich_allan said:

I'd expect better from you Oaksoft. You're trying to oversimplify a complex issue. Of course young men cause most accidents. However this is due to conscious and objectively dangerous / reckless driving behaviour.

The type of accidents, of which there are a significant number, discussed in this thread are sadly unconscious behaviour.

The former is a huge culture in driving behaviour that is very difficult to influence. The latter on the other hand, whilst impossible to stop completely, might be able to be reduced through implementation of a capability / reactions type test at a particular point where it can be established that there is significant reduction in capability on average.

Remember that research can be both inductive and deductive. Peer review might or might not exist, but that doesn't automatically invalidate the hypothesis either way. Especially not when trying to compare two different problems...

It would have been nice if he had presented it as his hypothesis rather than trying to claim it as fact and then use that "fact" to wrongly conclude that an entire age bracket should be tarred with the same stick.

It largely doesnt matter to the families of the deceased whether these "accidents" are conscious or unconscious. Humans are absolutely shite at driving. They switch off mentally, they speed, they tailgate, they make unnecessarily risky maneouvres to save a few seconds and worst of all they are in total denial about all of this. Black boxes are not the answer. I think driverless cars probably is the best way forwards now.

Edited by oaksoft

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It would have been nice if he had presented it as his hypothesis rather than trying to claim it as fact and then use that "fact" to wrongly conclude that an entire age bracket should be tarred with the same stick.

It largely doesnt matter to the families of the deceased whether these "accidents" are conscious or unconscious. Humans are absolutely shite at driving. They switch off mentally, they speed, they tailgate, they make unnecessarily risky maneouvres to save a few seconds and worst of all they are in total denial about all of this. Black boxes are not the answer. I think driverless cars probably is the best way forwards now.

Eh? :blink:

Oh, the way you are with young drivers? :lol:

After you being shown to be a clown, again, you still squirm your way out of the point of the thread.

You are an utter idiot. :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

Reading this thread sends shivers down my spine. I have a friend over here in Northern Ireland who shouldn't be driving. He was a spoiled boy who used to do some racing in the 50's. I believe he took delivery of the first MGA over here in 1955. He still has it .It's a belter. Driving licences for over 70's here have to be renewed every three years and two years ago he managed to get his renewed a bit early because he was about to have laser eye surgery. It was reasonably successful but his licence is soon due for renewal and I am dreading the thought that he gets it. He is a good driver and tends to drive too slowly at times but that can be almost as bad as driving too fast. I've often been in his car when an overtaking driver blares his horn like hell while staring indignantly at my friend  while giving the v sign and not even looking ahead. It's nightmare stuff. And he has this habit of stopping for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I encourage him not to drive in the dark but I know he sometimes does. He will be 90 in March and his licence is due for renewal around then. I know what I should do but don't know what I will do. He is a close friend. He would feel emasculated without his licence. And yes, I would feel absolutely hellish if he is in an accident. I would also feel hellish if I derive him of one of the few pleasures in life left to him. I know he will never be involved in a high speed crash and that affords me some comfort.

I asked my sisters friend who is an actuary. His reply was "your fully comp protected policy is £250 and a young drivers comp policy could be as much as £2K. We're no daft." As an aside I heard a programme on R4 a couple of years ago and a young lassie who was training to be a producer in London with R5 was quoted £10K for her VW Beetle because she occasionally had "famous" people in her car.