Sign in to follow this  
faraway saint

Nothing changes...........Older drivers

13 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Ban driving altogether, that would lower them.

Not the solution you were looking for, I assume.

The robots will be driving them soon for you.

Reading this thread sends shivers down my spine. I have a friend over here in Northern Ireland who shouldn't be driving. He was a spoiled boy who used to do some racing in the 50's. I believe he took delivery of the first MGA over here in 1955. He still has it .It's a belter. Driving licences for over 70's here have to be renewed every three years and two years ago he managed to get his renewed a bit early because he was about to have laser eye surgery. It was reasonably successful but his licence is soon due for renewal and I am dreading the thought that he gets it. He is a good driver and tends to drive too slowly at times but that can be almost as bad as driving too fast. I've often been in his car when an overtaking driver blares his horn like hell while staring indignantly at my friend  while giving the v sign and not even looking ahead. It's nightmare stuff. And he has this habit of stopping for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I encourage him not to drive in the dark but I know he sometimes does. He will be 90 in March and his licence is due for renewal around then. I know what I should do but don't know what I will do. He is a close friend. He would feel emasculated without his licence. And yes, I would feel absolutely hellish if he is in an accident. I would also feel hellish if I derive him of one of the few pleasures in life left to him. I know he will never be involved in a high speed crash and that affords me some comfort.

I asked my sisters friend who is an actuary. His reply was "your fully comp protected policy is £250 and a young drivers comp policy could be as much as £2K. We're no daft." As an aside I heard a programme on R4 a couple of years ago and a young lassie who was training to be a producer in London with R5 was quoted £10K for her VW Beetle because she occasionally had "famous" people in her car.

They should just ban anyone else from learning to drive (and ban driverless vehicles). That way, as the auld cunts die of natural causes and the boy racers (and girl racers) die in accidents there will be less cars and less congested roads for all us middle-aged wankers.