Good Riddens Italy Football Club

shull

I've still got a chip on my shoulder about the Euro 2008 qualifier at Hampden when they dived their way to victory (with the help of some outrageous decisions from the ref).

They also spoiled their way to the 2006 world cup and denied us a last proper finale from zizou thanks to their wind up / diving / spoiling tactics.

For those two reasons (especially the first) I had a wee chortle at their exit.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/15/2017 at 10:28 AM, southsidebud said:

I've still got a chip on my shoulder about the Euro 2008 qualifier at Hampden when they dived their way to victory (with the help of some outrageous decisions from the ref).

They also spoiled their way to the 2006 world cup and denied us a last proper finale from zizou thanks to their wind up / diving / spoiling tactics.

For those two reasons (especially the first) I had a wee chortle at their exit.

1. Scotland's goal was offside so that evened itself out.

2. The ref was 100% correct in sending off Zidane. Trying telling the police you smacked a guy in the street because he insulted you and see how far you get. Best team won that tournament although the best player didn't get the player of the tournament like he should've done.

1. Scotland's goal was offside so that evened itself out.
2. The ref was 100% correct in sending off Zidane. Trying telling the police you smacked a guy in the street because he insulted you and see how far you get. Best team won that tournament although the best player didn't get the player of the tournament like he should've done.

1. Would need to see that again but I remember a lot of decisions seemed to go against us that day - more than our fair share.

2. I didn't say that Zidane shouldn't have been sent off - but that the Italian tactics were designed to get that reaction - thereby spoiling the game by removing the most talented player from the final.

Being annoyed that a cynical tactic spoiled a game by inciting a violent reaction is not the same as condoning the reaction.

Anyway, it certainly worked for them but I doubt many non Italians would have been applauding it.

In my opinion the best side did not win the 2006 World Cup but each to their own.

So I'm still enjoying my chortle at their demise.

On 11/27/2017 at 1:28 PM, southsidebud said:

1. Would need to see that again but I remember a lot of decisions seemed to go against us that day - more than our fair share.

2. I didn't say that Zidane shouldn't have been sent off - but that the Italian tactics were designed to get that reaction - thereby spoiling the game by removing the most talented player from the final.

Being annoyed that a cynical tactic spoiled a game by inciting a violent reaction is not the same as condoning the reaction.

Anyway, it certainly worked for them but I doubt many non Italians would have been applauding it.

In my opinion the best side did not win the 2006 World Cup but each to their own.

So I'm still enjoying my chortle at their demise.

Zidane was sent off ten minutes from the end of extra time so I’m not sure how much the game was “spoiled” by the removal of a player who’d played 110 minutes, i.e. over 90% of the game. “Most talented player” is, also, subjective; for me the best player on show was Fabio Cannavaro, who should’ve been the player of the tournament. However, that title is rarely, if ever, given to defenders, of which Italians have always excelled.

Would be interested to know who you thought were the best side in 2006.

15 hours ago, Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes said:

Zidane was sent off ten minutes from the end of extra time so I’m not sure how much the game was “spoiled” by the removal of a player who’d played 110 minutes, i.e. over 90% of the game. “Most talented player” is, also, subjective; for me the best player on show was Fabio Cannavaro, who should’ve been the player of the tournament. However, that title is rarely, if ever, given to defenders, of which Italians have always excelled.

Would be interested to know who you thought were the best side in 2006.

I had been impressed by Germany and Brazil during the tournament and thought that the former were a bit unlucky in the semi-final.

In the final itself, I thought France were - overall - the better team and would have been the more worthy winners. Losing their main player - even with only 10 mins to go - may well have cost them the cup - we will never know of course.

I agree that "most talented player" is indeed subjective but I think anyone would struggle to argue that France were not the worse for his absence. I think he won player of the tournament and that, along with his pedigree throughout his career, points to his red card being a potentially huge factor in the outcome - there are many examples of star players coming 'to life' in the dying minutes of games and delivering key victories. Cannavaro had a great tournament and was a world class defender - but for me Zidane was the best player on show. 

All 'ifs and buts'  of course. I guess we just agree to disagree on this one.

A more relevant disagreement for us would be - best St Mirren Championship winning team of the last 20 years - Hendrie's Heroes or Ross' Rockets (tbc) :-)