St. Mirren ladies team

st jock

23 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I agree. I have no problem with your bigotted attitudes as long as you have no problem being pulled up on them.

I wouldn't say thinking woman's football is pish, means you are a bigot.

I'm happy to be corrected though, by the expert who thinks it will catch up with the men's game.

1 hour ago, munoz said:

For anyone who is interested in the history of women's football, they  should give this program a watch. Very interesting and informative.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/when-football-banned-women

There was a brilliant book covering the first 100 years of the "Football League", it covered this situation in quite a lot of detail and was an interesting read.

There were many crowds for women's football that were larger than the equivalent fixture for a men's game.

Edited by WeeBud

4 hours ago, barrhead saint said:

I wouldn't say thinking woman's football is pish, means you are a bigot.

I'm happy to be corrected though, by the expert who thinks it will catch up with the men's game.

Don’t bother mate. I said I’d let him get his little hardon by giving him the last word so I’ve no intention of countering his ridiculous notion that thinking the standard is  pish represents a bigoted view.

i will admit though to being really tempted to respond saying “Bigotted? You couldn’t even spell bigoted” but I resisted. 

Not sure if Beyond our Ken was being facetious when he said it was mysoginistic but that of course would be an equally ridiculous notion, so I’ll assume he was. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I don't know if you are joking or not but actually there is absolutely no physical reason why women cannot play alongside men in the same team. If a woman is good enough she should be able to be called into the main squad.

:lol::lol::lol:

Showing, again, you have no idea about football or sport.

Give's us a list of competitive sports that women can currently compete with men? 

Run along, you must have a problem to solve. :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

Womans football is high on the FA's Grow the Game agenda and with more and more girls/women playing the game, St Mirren should explore developing teams at all age groups, not just 1 adult ladies team.

As that will take time, they should start looking at the foundations for all age groups from U7's through to ladies teams.
Given, at present, girls teams are made over 2 school years (boys are over 1 school year but younger players can play up a year), there is plenty scope to start laying the blocks to get a number of teams in place for the start of next season.

I'd more than be happy to support SMISA's 3 monthly spend being invested in growing the game/club with some funding to start girls/womens football teams.
An exciting development for the club.

Edited by Graeme Aitken

Just now, cockles1987 said:

Eventing.
Equestrian.
Show Jumping.
Dressage.
Horse Racing.

Neigh bother to find some. emoji206.png

You really don't understand the difference of sports that requires a physical presence, although, maybe for the simple minded,  I should have made this clearer.  :rolleyes:

Your fascination with horses is a serious concern. :P

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Just a taste of things to come!

looking forward to the meltdowns if Smisa include a request to fund SMFC ladies from the £2 pot. Surely all the members who vote any spend on the club (no matter how ridiculous) through, will back the lassies..?

Trolling of the highest order, kudos to you, what an utterly ridiculous post.

I see on the official site that it is now well erm..official.

Good news, our club is brilliant it really is, brilliant it really is indeed.

PS Will the first team and the burds team share a Christmas night out?  I see scandal ahead

I thought most wummin footballers looked like a mix of mark yardley and peter beardsley until i watched a norway game a while back.

Great news :)

I have no problems with the club supporting Womens football, neither do i have an issue if Smisa offer it up as a funding option. 

Having watched a fair old bit of the last Womens world cup due to a former workmate being a Footy player herself and persuading me to watch , my opinion & it is no more than that , is that the standard is woeful. If that was the worlds best on show, what is the rest of it like ? 

I am not being sexist or misogynistic..... just proferring my opinion on the standard football on show.  Does it need to be promoted and funded correctly ? Yes.   Is it anywhere near even junior football level ? Not in my opinion.   Would i pay money to watch it ? No way.

From watching the world cup, my opinion was that there are a handful of very talented individuals but the massive majority were several levels below spfl league two. 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I have no problems with the club supporting Womens football, neither do i have an issue if Smisa offer it up as a funding option. 

Having watched a fair old bit of the last Womens world cup due to a former workmate being a Footy player herself and persuading me to watch , my opinion & it is no more than that , is that the standard is woeful. If that was the worlds best on show, what is the rest of it like ? 

I am not being sexist or misogynistic..... just proferring my opinion on the standard football on show.  Does it need to be promoted and funded correctly ? Yes.   Is it anywhere near even junior football level ? Not in my opinion.   Would i pay money to watch it ? No way.

From watching the world cup, my opinion was that there are a handful of very talented individuals but the massive majority were several levels below spfl league two. 

One of the problems I had around women's football is that I compared it to the men's game. However it was the same problem as trying to compare today's football with football from the 70s/80s, the level of skill aggression and tactics are vastly different. The women's game is not an inferior product, but rather is a different product, and when that is accepted then it becomes viewed differently.

For me the other problem I still have is around being invested and caring about the success or failure of a team. There was no team that I remotely cared about so I was dismissive of the product. The change on that was the women's national side playing in the Euro's as it ticked boxes around having a team to follow, when I cared about the result. As a St Mirren fan I follow us playing tiddlywinks, not saying I would watch, but would be interested in what is happening in a ladies side, particularly as I've got a 9yr old daughter who has expressed interest in playing football and it would be good to have our own local role models for her to follow.

28 minutes ago, madball said:

One of the problems I had around women's football is that I compared it to the men's game. However it was the same problem as trying to compare today's football with football from the 70s/80s, the level of skill aggression and tactics are vastly different. The women's game is not an inferior product, but rather is a different product, and when that is accepted then it becomes viewed differently.

For me the other problem I still have is around being invested and caring about the success or failure of a team. There was no team that I remotely cared about so I was dismissive of the product. The change on that was the women's national side playing in the Euro's as it ticked boxes around having a team to follow, when I cared about the result. As a St Mirren fan I follow us playing tiddlywinks, not saying I would watch, but would be interested in what is happening in a ladies side, particularly as I've got a 9yr old daughter who has expressed interest in playing football and it would be good to have our own local role models for her to follow.

All fair points . Perhaps I would feel different if I had a team to support or relative who played. As I said at the start of my post , I only watched in the first place because of encouragement from a colleague. 

10 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Bang on Callum.

Ah reasonably efficient Paisley pub team would gub the women’s world champions, provided they could kick the ball into the top half of the goal. 

And it’s not just the physical difference. Look at other sports where men and women don’t compete against each other.

Tennis, athletics, cycling, skiing, rowing etc etc. In all of these the ONLY thing that prevents women competing with mean is the physical strength difference, yet in none of these cases would the women’s game be regarded as shite. 

Womens football is shite because it’s shite. Not because it isn’t as good as men’s. 

Tonight 

BBC2   Kick Off   7.05

Women's World Cup Qualifier 

England  v  Bosnia & Herzegovina 

Give it a try, buddies. 

Don't compare it to the Men's World Cup or even the SPFL. 

Maybe compare it to Ladies Club Football in Scotland at the moment. 

Anyway, the Women's game is growing rapidly and so will the standards. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Bang on Callum.
Ah reasonably efficient Paisley pub team would gub the women’s world champions, provided they could kick the ball into the top half of the goal. 
And it’s not just the physical difference. Look at other sports where men and women don’t compete against each other.
Tennis, athletics, cycling, skiing, rowing etc etc. In all of these the ONLY thing that prevents women competing with mean is the physical strength difference, yet in none of these cases would the women’s game be regarded as shite. 
Womens football is shite because it’s shite. Not because it isn’t as good as men’s. 

I wouldn't say it's shite just now, technique of outfield players at international level is superior to a lot of male club footballers.
Goalkeeping has always been the let down, however this also used to be the case when I watched the African nations tournament. I'm sure if I was old enough I would be able to say the same about the British game back in the 40s and 50s.

The women's game, particularly the goalkeeping position, will improve with additional exposure which will lead to investment including coaching.