Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

shull

30 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Current Second Top in the SPFL meets Current Second Top in Championship.

Could hardly be tougher! But ... looking forward to it.

We are second top in one of the SPFL leagues also

Celtic aside, worst possible draw. Only target now is to be one of the 4 clubs fighting for promotion. And before anyone accuses me of pessimism, please look at our historic record against the Dons up there. Enough said. We had 3 cup competitions this season, failed miserably in the first, didn't try a leg in the second and have been given the worst draw imaginable in the third. The league would always have been our priority anyway, so lets concentrate on that. The next game is one we must get something from or we will be back among the pack after a great start.

23 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Celtic aside, worst possible draw. Only target now is to be one of the 4 clubs fighting for promotion. And before anyone accuses me of pessimism, please look at our historic record against the Dons up there. Enough said. We had 3 cup competitions this season, failed miserably in the first, didn't try a leg in the second and have been given the worst draw imaginable in the third. The league would always have been our priority anyway, so lets concentrate on that. The next game is one we must get something from or we will be back among the pack after a great start.

Probably no point in turning up since it's a dead cert we'll lose this game eh ? 

Not for me , I prefer to think we always have chance. I do agree with you about the league though, but with this game being a 90 minute winner takes all , we very much have a chance . 

Also , with this match scheduled for the 20th Jan weekend, you might find there are a lot of changes to the playing and management staff at both clubs that could have a bearing on the outcome. 

For just now I'm still dreaming of a cup winning season . 

2 hours ago, Froggie said:

We have skill and pace that is enough to cause any team problems add in the fact our players will be right up for this to prove they can play at the highest level if we dont win at least Aberdeen will know they have been in a game. Looking forward to making the trip north one of the fee games i can attend. 

Fux sake, the negativity from some people!

It's a difficult draw, a very difficult draw, but not a bad one.  First thing you want as a supporter in the cup is an away day against a team not in your league.  Done - a good stop for chips & beer in Stonehaven and then on to the game.

Should be a crowd of about 13,000?  Half of that is a decent bit of cash banked.

The game is on the 20th January, Aberdeen have three weeks off prior to the game.  That's long enough for them to get rusty - we have seen it plenty of times when the top league comes back from a winter break and gets put out the cup by a lower league side.  Give me competitive games against Dumbarton and Inverness any day over a break in Tenerife as preparation.

Our front line can cause anyone problems, there's no reason to think we can't go up there and get a coupe of goals.  It would seem the defence has come a long way since that shambles at Patrick Thistle in the League Cup, with big Harry Davis back now I expect we will get stronger.

On our day we can beat any team in Scotland except Celtic, and even at Parkhead we have shown we can compete.  Off our day we can ship a load of goals against anyone as well.  Lets just travel in hope and see what comes.  We certainly have nothing to do be scared of, and these are the type of games you need to win at some point if you are going to win the cup.

Again its a great draw

Remember getting them at Love Street when we were in Championship, and they fluked a draw before just beating us in replay.......

Again, we are not going to win the cup, but imagine a wee draw up there , Kenny Maclean taken out by our Midfield ....................

I am loving this season so far, and this has just added to it

Also the talented kids McGinnis and Morgan will perform 

Edited by DougJamie

It's a difficult draw, a very difficult draw, but not a bad one.  First thing you want as a supporter in the cup is an away day against a team not in your league.  Done - a good stop for chips & beer in Stonehaven and then on to the game.
Should be a crowd of about 13,000?  Half of that is a decent bit of cash banked.
The game is on the 20th January, Aberdeen have three weeks off prior to the game.  That's long enough for them to get rusty - we have seen it plenty of times when the top league comes back from a winter break and gets put out the cup by a lower league side.  Give me competitive games against Dumbarton and Inverness any day over a break in Tenerife as preparation.
Our front line can cause anyone problems, there's no reason to think we can't go up there and get a coupe of goals.  It would seem the defence has come a long way since that shambles at Patrick Thistle in the League Cup, with big Harry Davis back now I expect we will get stronger.
On our day we can beat any team in Scotland except Celtic, and even at Parkhead we have shown we can compete.  Off our day we can ship a load of goals against anyone as well.  Lets just travel in hope and see what comes.  We certainly have nothing to do be scared of, and these are the type of games you need to win at some point if you are going to win the cup.

41 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Would you at least agree its an awful draw ? Takes the wind out of your sails when barring a real upset we are likely out of the cup in January. I know they are not unbeatable but its some task up there. I have no interest in either chips or beer, even in Stonehaven, so wont countenance going up there.

No, the league is number one priority and if we can get one of the 4 places at the end of the season it gives us a chance of promotion. You can bet that Dundee Utd will have funds in January as they are desperate to exit this league. We are more likely to lose a player or two, so replacements will be important. Jack Ross has more than proved his worth in that respect, however.

Sorry to be pedantic, but last season we were leading Celtic then lost 4 second half goals and it could have been much more, so no, we didn't compete against them.

20 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Would you at least agree its an awful draw ? Takes the wind out of your sails when barring a real upset we are likely out of the cup in January. I know they are not unbeatable but its some task up there. I have no interest in either chips or beer, even in Stonehaven, so wont countenance going up there.

No, the league is number one priority and if we can get one of the 4 places at the end of the season it gives us a chance of promotion. You can bet that Dundee Utd will have funds in January as they are desperate to exit this league. We are more likely to lose a player or two, so replacements will be important. Jack Ross has more than proved his worth in that respect, however.

Sorry to be pedantic, but last season we were leading Celtic then lost 4 second half goals and it could have been much more, so no, we didn't compete against them.

A cup run would be good financially but the league is our priority. As for the draw? An excellent chance for our young lads to play against a higher standard of footballer.  If we had got QOS, Plastics or Hamilton away people would moan about lack of crowd etc and likely we may stumble. The pressure is all on Aberdeen who rightfully will be favourites. No idea why this is thought of as a bad draw?

24 minutes ago, Froggie said:

How many teams got a doing at Celtic Park? They are head and shoulders above us and you forget we could have been 2-0 up before they equalised. Brendan Rodgers praised us and you can't expect more than that. 

No priorities please. 

Try and win every competitive match we play. 

Doing that.... 

We can win promotion. 

Win the Scottish Cup 

And we could be in the Challenge Cup Semi Final. 

Prioritising might mean we end up with nothing. 

100% at all times. 

WE HAVE A SQUAD OF FULL TIME TRAINED PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS. 

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Again its a great draw

Remember getting them at Love Street when we were in Championship, and they fluked a draw before just beating us in replay.......

Again, we are not going to win the cup, but imagine a wee draw up there , Kenny Maclean taken out by our Midfield ....................

I am loving this season so far, and this has just added to it

Also the talented kids McGinnis and Morgan will perform

that boy from morocco scored wonder goal to get draw,think shuggy Murray scored first,think that boy that scored for Aberdeen died in car crash a couple of years ago