Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

shull

18 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

Not read through this thread but is there any mention of the on loan players being allowed to play , especially Liam and Lewis.

Smith didn't play against Lothian Thistle so wouldn't expect him to play.

Morgan played in that game so is already cup tied so no reason for him not to play.

Yes, and thanks to Snow, I don't need to take my lady to the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar and pee her off with it on the radio. I can now watch on the telly and pee her off far more.

Imagine having a birthday on a Cup day!!

Win be brill but happily take a draw and get them back to the 2021 fortress

8 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:
2 hours ago, shull said:
A day to go. 
I love Cup Ties. 
COME ON THE SAINTS 
Need to goodies in for a lunchtime munch in front of the Telly. 

Hope the snacks are healthy. Obesity is the enemy. Remember beer has natural nutrients and vitamins. It's better for you than modern snacks.

No beer 

No vegetables. 

I will be fine. 

JRs view on tomorrows tie from The Times today.

High-flying St Mirren gain from pain inflicted by Partick Thistle
Ewing Grahame
January 19 2018, 12:01am, 
The Times

Last season St Mirren, nine points adrift of safety in January, produced a remarkable feat of escapology to retain their Championship status while also beating top-tier Dundee away from home in the Scottish Cup.

Brendan Rodgers, the Celtic manager, described them as the best domestic team he had played against when they led 1-0 at Parkhead and also struck the woodwork before the Invincibles found their feet and eliminated them from the tournament.

Yet it was being thrashed by Partick Thistle at Firhill in the Betfred Cup group stage six months ago which manager Jack Ross believes will help him most when he takes his team to Pittodrie to face Aberdeen tomorrow.

St Mirren were four goals down after 38 minutes and eventually lost 5-0, even though Thistle played the final 32 minutes with ten men following the dismissal of Abdul Osman.

However, Ross warns Aberdeen that the side they will face is a very different proposition to the one which capitulated in Maryhill. “Last season we won at Dens Park and played well for an hour at Celtic Park but I got a lot of things wrong when we lost to Thistle at Firhill,” he said. “They played well and we didn’t. I also made some mistakes in how I approached that game but that should be good for me because I’ve learned from it.

“It’s a balancing act for us this weekend because we are a good side going forward, with excellent pace and some dynamic players and we don’t want to stifle their ability. Equally, Aberdeen have guys who can pick holes in our team so we need to find a way to stop them. Hopefully, though, we’ll still carry a threat.”

Ross insisted that the pressure to progress will be felt more by Derek McInnes’s players, whose season will effectively be over if they are knocked out. “I think winning the Cup is a reasonable ambition for Derek. They have come very close to doing that and just been unfortunate they’ve come up against an incredibly powerful Celtic team,” he said.

“That ambition makes our job even tougher. Aberdeen don’t just want to do well in this competition, they expect to do well in it. We’re under no illusions. We were badly beaten by Thistle in the League Cup last year and, hopefully, not repeating the mistakes I made then will stand us in good stead.”

Ross’s inclination is to go for the jugular (St Mirren are the highest scorers in the Championship but have conceded more than a goal per game; Morton, in seventh place, have a better defensive record) but admits he is likely to adopt a less expansive approach tomorrow. Even so, he has faith in his squad and remains optimistic they can upset the odds.

“I think we’ve grown a lot in a relatively short time,” he said. “Do we believe we’re a Premiership team at the moment? No, because we haven’t managed to escape the Championship yet.
“Individually, though, we have a number of players who’ve played at a higher level and younger ones who are ambitious so there’s no better way for both groups to prove themselves than away from home against the team that’s consistently been the second best in the country.”

With nine victories and a draw from their last 11 outings, confidence is hardly in short supply for Saints and Ross believes a victory against Aberdeen could send it through the roof. “It’s a good draw for us,” he said. “Ideally, you’d look for the best possible chance of progression but you don’t always get that. Thereafter you want a tie that excites you and this game provides us with a break from the league.

“We’ve had a demanding schedule through December and this month but we’ve come through those tough games with a good points total [St Mirren lead Dundee United by eight points].

“It’s good to have a change of scenery, even for me and my staff. At this stage of the league season we’ve already played everybody twice or three times, which gets a bit repetitive.

“Saturday, though, is a new challenge against different players. The biggest thing for me is that we do ourselves justice and play well. We want to show people why we’re having the season we are having.”

1 hour ago, saintargyll said:

I think the game will be toast as there are Amber weather warnings  in place right through to Sunday . .approach roads from central belt up to the east coast

Dont think theres any threat to the game at all. aberdeen has been cold, but dry and sunny all week. If theres any problem it will be Buds setting out from Paisley etc tomorrow morning as snow is forecast through the night. Hopefully its dealt with by the gritters.

the team i assume will be travelling up today. 

3 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Yes, and thanks to Snow, I don't need to take my lady to the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar and pee her off with it on the radio. I can now watch on the telly and pee her off far more.

Imagine having a birthday on a Cup day!!

Win be brill but happily take a draw and get them back to the 2021 fortress

Your wife was clearly thoughtless in having her birthday on a cup day. 

I suggest that you put her on a bread and water diet for the day whilst you indulge yourself in front of the telly.

41 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Dont think theres any threat to the game at all. aberdeen has been cold, but dry and sunny all week. If theres any problem it will be Buds setting out from Paisley etc tomorrow morning as snow is forecast through the night. Hopefully its dealt with by the gritters.

the team i assume will be travelling up today. 

yeah thats why i said "approach roads" from the central belt

16 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I suggest that you put her on a bread and water diet for the day whilst you indulge yourself in front of the telly.

Suggest I put her on a wine and vodka diet and then I will get peace to watch all Saturdays drama unfold :D

20 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

It was my mates Mrs birthday the day after the League Cup Final.Dog house for weeks and she still mentions it every birthday.

Edited by HSS

9 minutes ago, munoz said:

Can see there being a larger crowd than some are predicting. With Aberdeen's average attendance sitting at just over 16k, I'd be surprised if it's any less than 10k. 

They've sold over 10k according to their forums (mate is a sheep shagger and frequents those places) 

Might hit 12k or so which would be decent!