Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

shull

First 3 goals were all gift wrapped for me. Could have got it back to 2.2 but for a poor pass/cross in to the box in the first half. After the fourth went in the heads went down and Aberdeen dominated the midfield winning every loose ball. Poor game but we move on. Support was magnificent. We will still win the league. COYS

Taken time to reflect on the match.Firstly I didn't expect to win but I firmly thought we would have given the Dons a tougher contest.Our full backs were poor and whilst Stelio takes much of the blame for the penalty and second goal this was arguably Liam Smith's poorest display to date.However I just felt that we lacked our usual urgency and composure we are better than that yes the Dons are a fine side but don't forget we travelled to Dens last season and won well.Maybe all leagues should have a winter break for they looked much fresher than us.Finally that pitch was an utter disgrace for a top Premier side and we just couldn't get used to it today in my opinion.

Aberdeen pumped 4th placed Hibs 4-1 before Christmas. I don't think we should start slagging off too many players based on today's game. We started well, and our 2nd choice left back gave away a silly penalty after 7 minutes and let Aberdeen into the game. We were still in the game at 2-0 down, and 3-1 down.  If Morgan's brilliant lob at 3-1 had squeezed in rather than hit the side netting the second half could have been very interesting.

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Aberdeen pumped 4th placed Hibs 4-1 before Christmas. I don't think we should start slagging off too many players based on today's game. We started well, and our 2nd choice left back gave away a silly penalty after 7 minutes and let Aberdeen into the game. We were still in the game at 2-0 down, and 3-1 down.  If Morgan's brilliant lob at 3-1 had squeezed in rather than hit the side netting the second half could have been very interesting.

If we had played a lot better we would have won the game.

18 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Taken time to reflect on the match.Firstly I didn't expect to win but I firmly thought we would have given the Dons a tougher contest.Our full backs were poor and whilst Stelio takes much of the blame for the penalty and second goal this was arguably Liam Smith's poorest display to date.However I just felt that we lacked our usual urgency and composure we are better than that yes the Dons are a fine side but don't forget we travelled to Dens last season and won well.Maybe all leagues should have a winter break for they looked much fresher than us.Finally that pitch was an utter disgrace for a top Premier side and we just couldn't get used to it today in my opinion.

Dundee are currently 21 points behind Aberdeen. We played an Aberdeen team where over half of their first team are or have been internationalists. There is a big difference in quality between Aberdeen and Dundee.

The quality of today's Aberdeen team:

1. Joe Lewis (England U21 goalkeeper and called into the full England squad for friendly internationals)

2. Shay Logan - had 3 games in the EPL with Manchester City having come through their youth academy

3. Graeme Shinnie (Scotland U21 player and called into the full Scotland set up on 3 occasions)

4. Andy Considine (Scotland U21 player)

5. Anthony O'Connor (Republic of Ireland U21 player)

6. Mark Reynolds (Scotland U21, Scotland B, and called up into the full squad on a few occasions)

7. Kenny McLean (Scotland U21, and a couple of Scotland caps, could be sold for £500k in this window)

8. Greg Stewart (on loan from Birmingham City who paid £500k with add ons to sign him from Dundee)

9. Adam Rooney (Republic of Ireland and one of the top scorers in the SPL)

10. Gary Mackay-Steven (full Scotland international)

11. Ryan Christie (on loan from Celtic, Scotland U21 player and called into the full squad)

12. Niall McGinn (Republic of Ireland internationalist) - subsitute

13. Stevie May (full Scotland internationalist) - substitute

all played against us today and Mackay-Steven, Christie, Shinnie and McLean all had good games.

33 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

If we had played a lot better we would have won the game.

Aberdeen's stats in the premiership are pretty similar to ours in the championship, only 1 premiership team have beaten them in the league this season outside of Celtic and the international Rangers.

I thought we had a chance of causing an upset if we were at the top of our game for 90 minutes, if Aberdeen had an off day, if we had taken the lead and if the game had been in Paisley. We had a good first half but lost some bad goals and had an uphill struggle. We had to get the 5th goal to be in with a shout of taking the game to a replay.

25 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The quality of today's Aberdeen team:

1. Joe Lewis (England U21 goalkeeper and called into the full England squad for friendly internationals)

2. Shay Logan - had 3 games in the EPL with Manchester City having come through their youth academy

3. Graeme Shinnie (Scotland U21 player and called into the full Scotland set up on 3 occasions)

4. Andy Considine (Scotland U21 player)

5. Anthony O'Connor (Republic of Ireland U21 player)

6. Mark Reynolds (Scotland U21, Scotland B, and called up into the full squad on a few occasions)

7. Kenny McLean (Scotland U21, and a couple of Scotland caps, could be sold for £500k in this window)

8. Greg Stewart (on loan from Birmingham City who paid £500k with add ons to sign him from Dundee)

9. Adam Rooney (Republic of Ireland and one of the top scorers in the SPL)

10. Gary Mackay-Steven (full Scotland international)

11. Ryan Christie (on loan from Celtic, Scotland U21 player and called into the full squad)

12. Niall McGinn (Republic of Ireland internationalist) - subsitute

13. Stevie May (full Scotland internationalist) - substitute

all played against us today and Mackay-Steven, Christie, Shinnie and McLean all had good games.

And most of our players did not - especially in the second half!

Edited by northstbuddie

47 minutes ago, Dare said:

Aberdeen’s back four were there for the taking today. We didn’t play well enough end of !

We competed in the first half regardless of score. Fact is we did not turn up in the second half which hurts me more that the score. But hey hoo! Top of the league much , much more goods than bads  give me the title any day of the week. 

RE McGinn.. I’ve been suitably mystified into his transformation into some kind of midfield demigod by sections of our support this season.

During the week there, I seen a post on the Facebook page that was asking if he was the greatest St Mirren captain since Tony Fitz. Almost spat out the crunchy nut, wouldn’t even have him in my top 5.

If we do get promoted, I would hope we were looking at other options in that central midfield area. He’s great in the Championship but I’m not sure if he’s up to it at Premiership level, as his performance today and at Firhill showed us.

Guest TPAFKATS
RE McGinn.. I’ve been suitably mystified into his transformation into some kind of midfield demigod by sections of our support this season.

During the week there, I seen a post on the Facebook page that was asking if he was the greatest St Mirren captain since Tony Fitz. Almost spat out the crunchy nut, wouldn’t even have him in my top 5.

If we do get promoted, I would hope we were looking at other options in that central midfield area. He’s great in the Championship but I’m not sure if he’s up to it at Premiership level, as his performance today and at Firhill showed us.
Take the rest of the weekend off from being a cock.

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

I think we need to have realistic expectations. Only 3 teams in Scotland have beaten Aberdeen this season - Celtic, Rangers and Motherwell when they had Louie Moult on fire and banging in the goals. Aberdeen have comfortably beaten Hibs, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Hamilton, Dundee, Partick Thistle and Ross County. If we do go up at the end of the season then we won't be able to spend the same way Hearts, Rangers and Hibs have when they have made the transition from Championship to Premiership. I think over half of our normal starting XI are good enough to play in the bottom half of the Premiership: Eckersley, Baird, Davis, McGinn, Magennis, Cammy Smith and Gavin Reilly and Lewis Morgan is good enough to play in the top half of it. All this means is that before we reach that level we will need to recruit a couple of better defenders, a couple of better midfielders and another striker if we want to go up and finish 10th or higher and we have another window to do that. I do wonder if the Ross Stewarts, Kirkpatricks, Danny Mullens are really top Championship level players but if they do an occasional job for us before the end of the season then all good and well.

30 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Have to agree. McGinn and McShane will not do in the Premiership, IF we get there. Both have zero defensive quality. The laziness of both of them for Aberdeen second goal was there for all to see

Magennis for McShane is coming soon and Hill will push McGin all the way. I have a sneaky feeling Hill will be a better player than McGinn.

Edited by lenziebud

12 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I think we need to have realistic expectations. Only 3 teams in Scotland have beaten Aberdeen this season - Celtic, Rangers and Motherwell when they had Louie Moult on fire and banging in the goals. Aberdeen have comfortably beaten Hibs, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Hamilton, Dundee, Partick Thistle and Ross County. If we do go up at the end of the season then we won't be able to spend the same way Hearts, Rangers and Hibs have when they have made the transition from Championship to Premiership. I think over half of our normal starting XI are good enough to play in the bottom half of the Premiership: Eckersley, Baird, Davis, McGinn, Magennis, Cammy Smith and Gavin Reilly and Lewis Morgan is good enough to play in the top half of it. All this means is that before we reach that level we will need to recruit a couple of better defenders, a couple of better midfielders and another striker if we want to go up and finish 10th or higher and we have another window to do that. I do wonder if the Ross Stewarts, Kirkpatricks, Danny Mullens are really top Championship level players but if they do an occasional job for us before the end of the season then all good and well.

Can we stop bigging up Aberdeen, they are nothing special. The way the media talk about them you would think we were playing someone special today. They are average and most of their players are at best League One in England. If Rangers don't beat that lot to second place then something is far far wrong at Ibrox

Edited by lenziebud

1 hour ago, Dare said:

Aberdeen’s back four were there for the taking today. We didn’t play well enough end of !

The heads went down at 4-1 and at that point the game was beyond us. I thought we did the correct thing and sat back without wasting too much energy of a lost cause when we have a big game on Friday and Aberdeen didn't push too hard for many more goals and we didn't give them too many more opportunities.

In the first half Morgan had a shot blocked after 1 minute, Cammy Smith had a shot saved, Morgan hit the side netting with his lob at 3-1 and Smith fired another one over the bar from outside the box and we scored and Aberdeen had Considine and McLean yellow carded. We were making a game of it and playing pretty well at that point. If Eckersley had been fit we might have gone in level.

When it went to 4-1 we had no chance of winning 5-4 or scoring 3 without reply to earn a replay but we shut up shop ok without posing the same threat going forward.

2 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Can we stop bigging up Aberdeen, they are nothing special. The way the media talk about them you would think we were playing someone special today. They are average and most/all of their players are at best League One in England. If Rangers don't beat that lot to second place then something is far far wrong at Ibrox

... and you think a team signing players from Alloa, Livingstone, Albion Rovers, Ross County should be going out and beating Aberdeen away? Of the Aberdeen players who played in England most were getting games in the Championship. Most of the Aberdeen team have got 100+ games at English Championship / Scottish Premiership level.  How many games has one of our ex-star players started in the Championship at Barnsley?

What I saw today was two teams slow out the blocks.

Our chance was to go at it, but apart from the first minute we were in our shell too often and not at it !! Morgan cuts that to the middle in the first minute, who knows......

Frankly we failed to live up to expectations today, Aberdeen are surprised how easy it was for them today. They must have been at 60% today

Opportunity for St mirren to show case missed tbh

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

... and you think a team signing players from Alloa, Livingstone, Albion Rovers, Ross County should be going out and beating Aberdeen away? Of the Aberdeen players who played in England most were getting games in the Championship. Most of the Aberdeen team have got 100+ games at English Championship / Scottish Premiership level.  How many games has one of our ex-star players started in the Championship at Barnsley?

No what I am saying is they are very average team and hugely overrated by our media. We had a chance today but abysmal defending killed us. In the first half without the defensive error we competed 100% with them. We arent far away but probably about 4 quality players short for Premiership

13 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Have to agree. McGinn and McShane will not do in the Premiership, IF we get there. Both have zero defensive quality. The laziness of both of them for Aberdeen second goal was there for all to see

Oh FFS. Yeah we have real problems with McGinn and McShane in midfield. McGinn in particular has been the most important part of our transformation. Think back to where we were a year ago before he arrived.