Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

shull

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Oh FFS. Yeah we have real problems with McGinn and McShane in midfield. McGinn in particular has been the most important part of our transformation. Think back to where we were a year ago before he arrived. 

In the Championship we don't but in the Premiership we will have a problem with both

Edited by lenziebud

I'm not losing sleep over this one. Yes we looked poor and definitely could have defended better but we have a bigger prize to aim for. Teams are strengthening just now so the second half of the season will be tough. We have a task on our hands and the important thing is to bounce back on Friday. 

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

A lot of doom and gloom on here and I can understand the frustration.

For me. The first half was really quite even. The defence on both sides was poor and they capitalised  on it while we didn't. Morgan was unlucky with the lob over their keeper.

Second half was a total non event after the 4th went in. Aberdeen controlled that phase. 

What I would say was that, even though we definitely  didn't play well and Stelios had an absolute shocker, I don't think we'll need too much extra to compete in the top league should we get over the finish line.

What would make you say that!! two full backs had a nightmare. Magennis didn't kick a ball and neither did Morgan. McShane and McGinn didnt look good enough at that level. Lets you know where we are and that is miles and miles away from being a top 6 SPL team.

Reality check at the right time and lets get back to the more important business of Dunfermline on Friday. Would take a point.

Guest TPAFKATS
What would make you say that!! two full backs had a nightmare. Magennis didn't kick a ball and neither did Morgan. McShane and McGinn didnt look good enough at that level. Lets you know where we are and that is miles and miles away from being a top 6 SPL team.
Reality check at the right time and lets get back to the more important business of Dunfermline on Friday. Would take a point.
Yeah, we are definitely some distance away from being in the top 6 teams in Scotland.
Not sure anyone seriously stated otherwise to be fair.
The individual criticisms are very harsh though.

21 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

In the Championship we don't but in the Premiership we will have a problem with both

Nothing a defensive midfielder playing behind them wouldn't sort. That may be what we do for instance at Tannadice. If we take McGinn out that team, you will really notice the difference, and not in a good way.  

14 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Nothing a defensive midfielder playing behind them wouldn't sort. That may be what we do for instance at Tannadice. If we take McGinn out that team, you will really notice the difference, and not in a good way.  

Not talking about taking McGinn out the team in the Championship. In the Premiership yes as I don't think he's good enough. I think Magennis will replace McShane though in midfield over the next few weeks with Flynn on the right. I also think this young guy from Celtic Mark Hill is a player and if McGinn's form shades like it did a month back then Jack will play him. 

1 minute ago, ScotstounSaint said:
43 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:
rubbish!!

The pitch was a disgrace, but if you think players that are used to a pristine pitch are not disadvantaged by being asked to play in a field, fair enough.

If you think the pitch was anything to do with Stelios not staying on his feet and giving away a stupid penalty then fine. If you think the pitch contributed to McShane and McGinn jogging back for the second goal then fine and if you think the pitch was to blame for Stelios terrible header then fine. 

We were well beaten. The pitch was not the reason.

7 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Not talking about taking McGinn out the team in the Championship. In the Premiership yes as I don't think he's good enough. I think Magennis will replace McShane though in midfield over the next few weeks with Flynn on the right. I also think this young guy from Celtic Mark Hill is a player and if McGinn's form shades like it did a month back then Jack will play him. 

So McGinn who has been outstanding for most of the season should be replaced in the championship by a 19 year old you have seen for 14 minutes!!!!

If you think the pitch was anything to do with Stelios not staying on his feet and giving away a stupid penalty then fine. If you think the pitch contributed to McShane and McGinn jogging back for the second goal then fine and if you think the pitch was to blame for Stelios terrible header then fine. 
We were well beaten. The pitch was not the reason.
I said it was a factor, not the main reason. I think it was a factor as to why our players needed 3 touches to control the ball and why we were so shite in the 2nd half.

Other factors include Stelios, Samson and the ref not sending someone off for a studs up foul when already booked.

I'm pretty sure we would have done a lot better if the game had been in Paisley, but we'll never know.

7 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

So McGinn who has been outstanding for most of the season should be replaced in the championship by a 19 year old you have seen for 14 minutes!!!!

Where did I say McGinn should be replaced by Hill ? What I said was I had a feeling that Mark Hill is a player and that if McGinn's form shades like it did a while back then Jack Ross will play him . Thats a bit different from saying McGinn should be replaced by Hill.

Brendan Rodgers hasn't sent Mark Hill to SMFC to watch us. He's sent him to play here as he rates Jack Ross as a coach and trusts his player with him. Same as Derek McInnes at Aberdeen. Rodgers has also given Mark Hill a 3 year deal so he is no diddy !

I ddin't realise that McGinn was now GOD

Edited by lenziebud

3 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

I said it was a factor, not the main reason. I think it was a factor as to why our players needed 3 touches to control the ball and why we were so shite in the 2nd half.

Other factors include Stelios, Samson and the ref not sending someone off for a studs up foul when already booked.

I'm pretty sure we would have done a lot better if the game had been in Paisley, but we'll never know.

OK so it was the pitch and the ref. !! Not that we were beaten by a team who have much more quality than we do.

1 minute ago, lenziebud said:

Where did I say McGinn should be replaced by Hill ? What I said was I had a feeling that Mark Hill is a player and that if McGinn's form shades like it did a while back then Jack Ross will play him . Thats a bit different from saying McGinn should be replaced by Hill.

Brendan Rodgers hasn't sent Mark Hill to SMFC to watch us. He's sent him to play here as he rates Jack Ross as a coach and trusts his player with him. Same as Derek McInnes at Aberdeen. Rodgers has also given Mark Hill a 3 year deal so he is no diddy !

Lets be honest you have never seen Mark Hill play have you? So you just make assumptions based on him being a celtic player,

Do we really want to be playing in the SPL when we perform like this?

And no in the second half - we were not saving ourselves for the challenge ahead in the Championship - we were just rank rotten.

This was a chance today to compare how we would fare in the SPL - and we got our answer.

No "ifs" and "buts" - we are not nearly ready to step up based on today's performance.

OK so it was the pitch and the ref. !! Not that we were beaten by a team who have much more quality than we do.
No, they were better than us. They didn't make disasterous decisions like Stelios did. Their keeper didn't jump into the net.
Their midfielders did better than us, controlling the ball in 2 touches instead of our 3 ;-)
They should have been down to 10 men. Would it have allowed us to get back into the game? Probably not, but it would have helped.

1 minute ago, ScotstounSaint said:

No, they were better than us. They didn't make disasterous decisions like Stelios did. Their keeper didn't jump into the net.
Their midfielders did better than us, controlling the ball in 2 touches instead of our 3 ;-)
They should have been down to 10 men. Would it have allowed us to get back into the game? Probably not, but it would have helped.

Your first 6 words are enough. No excuses, certainly not the pitch or ref!!!

2 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Maybe we need to agree to disagree.
Eckersley instead of Stelios, a home game, a ref with balls..... I think we could beat them. And they're supposedly the 2nd best team in the country.

Yeah lets! They were miles ahead in every department, and no they are not great. Lucky to get out of there just 4-1

Edited by Mr Optimistic

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

RE McGinn.. I’ve been suitably mystified into his transformation into some kind of midfield demigod by sections of our support this season.

During the week there, I seen a post on the Facebook page that was asking if he was the greatest St Mirren captain since Tony Fitz. Almost spat out the crunchy nut, wouldn’t even have him in my top 5.

If we do get promoted, I would hope we were looking at other options in that central midfield area. He’s great in the Championship but I’m not sure if he’s up to it at Premiership level, as his performance today and at Firhill showed us.

Wrong diagnosis mate however our midfield is the weak spot its where we get pushed over too often. We need a ball winner, hard tackle Hill could be that man for me it' the only thing we are missing.  

2 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Maybe we need to agree to disagree.
Eckersley instead of Stelios, a home game, a ref with balls..... I think we could beat them. And they're supposedly the 2nd best team in the country.

Are you seriously suggesting that was the difference between the 2 sides today?

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Wrong diagnosis mate however our midfield is the weak spot its where we get pushed over too often. We need a ball winner, hard tackle Hill could be that man for me it' the only thing we are missing.  

Another one thinking a 19 year old player who you have never seen play and had 14 minutes today is the man for you!!! Really don't get it!