shull

Aberdeen v St Mirren Scottish Cup Round Four 20/1/18

1 minute ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Lets be honest you have never seen Mark Hill play have you? So you just make assumptions based on him being a celtic player,

No but Brendan Rodgers has and he's given him a 3 year deal. As I say he hasn't sent him to sit and watch SMFC for the rest of the season

OK so it was the pitch and the ref. !! Not that we were beaten by a team who have much more quality than we do.
No, they were better than us. They didn't make disasterous decisions like Stelios did. Their keeper didn't jump into the net.
Their midfielders did better than us, controlling the ball in 2 touches instead of our 3 ;-)
They should have been down to 10 men. Would it have allowed us to get back into the game? Probably not, but it would have helped.

1 minute ago, ScotstounSaint said:

No, they were better than us. They didn't make disasterous decisions like Stelios did. Their keeper didn't jump into the net.
Their midfielders did better than us, controlling the ball in 2 touches instead of our 3 ;-)
They should have been down to 10 men. Would it have allowed us to get back into the game? Probably not, but it would have helped.

Your first 6 words are enough. No excuses, certainly not the pitch or ref!!!

2 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Maybe we need to agree to disagree.
Eckersley instead of Stelios, a home game, a ref with balls..... I think we could beat them. And they're supposedly the 2nd best team in the country.

Yeah lets! They were miles ahead in every department, and no they are not great. Lucky to get out of there just 4-1

Edited by Mr Optimistic

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

RE McGinn.. I’ve been suitably mystified into his transformation into some kind of midfield demigod by sections of our support this season.

During the week there, I seen a post on the Facebook page that was asking if he was the greatest St Mirren captain since Tony Fitz. Almost spat out the crunchy nut, wouldn’t even have him in my top 5.

If we do get promoted, I would hope we were looking at other options in that central midfield area. He’s great in the Championship but I’m not sure if he’s up to it at Premiership level, as his performance today and at Firhill showed us.

Wrong diagnosis mate however our midfield is the weak spot its where we get pushed over too often. We need a ball winner, hard tackle Hill could be that man for me it' the only thing we are missing.  

2 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Maybe we need to agree to disagree.
Eckersley instead of Stelios, a home game, a ref with balls..... I think we could beat them. And they're supposedly the 2nd best team in the country.

Are you seriously suggesting that was the difference between the 2 sides today?

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Wrong diagnosis mate however our midfield is the weak spot its where we get pushed over too often. We need a ball winner, hard tackle Hill could be that man for me it' the only thing we are missing.  

Another one thinking a 19 year old player who you have never seen play and had 14 minutes today is the man for you!!! Really don't get it!

4 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Another one thinking a 19 year old player who you have never seen play and had 14 minutes today is the man for you!!! Really don't get it!

No sorry read again 1/  Miss a ball winner, hard tackling midfielder.  2/ hill ( could be that man ) 

53 minutes ago, Drew said:

Some of the mince being posted on here tonight is laughable.

We've won nothing yet folk are fretting about us being miles away from being a top 6 side. Players getting slated on the basis of a below par performance against the second best team in the country. Players who have just joined the club getting judged after minimal game time in a match that was already lost.

Dearie me:rolleyes:

Yes - we are all hurting and some have gone over the score with their criticism.

However, it's not just on here that you find that meaty delicacy. Some have argued (quite rightly IMO) that we did ok in the first half but we were 3-1 down at half time and it could/should have been 6-1 at full time. We just did not turn up for the second half.

Our defensive frailties have been obvious for most of this season (and certainly last season) although there were recent signs that that weakness had been dealt with successfully. And most people recognise that we will have to do better in the middle of the park where we often, like today's game, get over-run.

Hopefully there will not be an adverse reaction for the rest of the season and that JR/JF will be able to get the players re-focussed on winning the Championship.

Bit of perspective required, we've played against a very good side and are disappointed that we didn't perform as well as we might have, this time last year we would have been hoping to play well to avoid a good tonking, the fact that we are disappointed shows how far we've come.

Well, overall, a great day out up in Aberdeen.

Me and 5 Aberdeen supporters, a couple thought it could be a tight game, the rest thought it would be a walk in the park, they were right.

I thought, really, we could give them a game, probably a draw at best but at least a tight game.

The early penalty soon put paid to that.

Schoolboy stuff from Stelios, not a real surprise as he's got this in his locker IMO.

They were a tad lucky in the 2nd goal, a blind cut back that could have went to any player, unfortunately, one of theirs.

Stelios, is shouldn't be forgotten, played a major part in our goal, and excellent reaction from Reilly and we were back in it.

Unfortunately Stelios was back to his worst with a header that was hard to fathom and I thought at that point it was game over.

The lob that hit the side netting could have got us back in but unluckily it wasn't to be.

Their 4th goal was a cracker, and it was just a case of hoping they eased off as a real gubbing wouldn't have done us any good.

As usual much knickerwetting on here, Aberdeen are a decent team, we are, at our level, a decent team.

It's perfectly fair to point out that individual errors really cost us, but keep things in perspective.

I'm sure Ross knows our strengths and weakness's but, without unlimited resources, he can only do what he can.

This idea we're not ready for the top league based on getting beat away against the 2nd best team is ludicrous.

I'm more than confident we could cope, even right now, with many of the bottom 6 teams and, all things going well, even more so next season.

Anyway, Aberdeens hospitality was quality from beginning to end.

Roll on next season, we'll pump them and my 5 hosts will be greeting in their beer/vodka/champagne. 

Me and 5 Aberdeen supporters, a couple thought it could be a tight game, the rest thought it would be a walk in the park, they were right.
I thought, really, we could give them a game, probably a draw at best but at least a tight game.
Schoolboy stuff from Stelios, not a real surprise as he's got this in his locker IMO.
They were a tad lucky in the 2nd goal, a blind cut back that could have went to any player, unfortunately, one of theirs.
Stelios, is shouldn't be forgotten, played a major part in our goal, and excellent reaction from Reilly and we were back in it.
Unfortunately Stelios was back to his worst with a header that was hard to fathom and I thought at that point it was game over.
The lob that hit the side netting could have got us back in but unluckily it wasn't to be.
Their 4th goal was a cracker, and it was just a case of hoping they eased off as a real gubbing wouldn't have done us any good.
As usual much knickerwetting on here, Aberdeen are a decent team, we are, at our level, a decent team.
It's perfectly fair to point out that individual errors really cost us, but keep things in perspective.
I'm sure Ross knows our strengths and weakness's but, without unlimited resources, he can only do what he can.
This idea we're not ready for the top league based on getting beat away against the 2nd best team is ludicrous.
I'm more than confident we could cope, even right now, with many of the bottom 6 teams and, all things going well, even more so next season.
Roll on next season, we'll pump them and my 5 hosts will be greeting in their beer/vodka/champagne. 

They must save all the catering skills for the prawn Sandwich brigade as their hospitality to us was rubbish...

14 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

If we had played a lot better we would have won the game.

I know you’re being facetious but in the sense that Aberdeen were garbage and were horrendously below our best, there’s a bit of truth in it. If we had played anything like our best, Aberdeen were there for the taking. 

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Christ, what a Novel.

But a good one though.