W7 Fans & Banners

Ronnie

Gordon Scott is really coming across as quite a petty individual once again.

He is the first to write in his updates about loving the noise "when the drum starts beating" and taking credit that the "stadium feels like home now", the club are constantly using photographs of flag displays and that group of supporters in their ads and social media posts, but one banner they don't like - EVERYONE BANNED.

He has thrown quite a few tantrums now.  What an unpleasant person to have as a Chairman.

Still, happy to pay my 25 quid a month in to SMISA so he can tell us what to do!  It's great this fan ownership. 

Edited by Kemp

Gordon Scott has his faults, but he's been excellent for the club so far. In my humble opinion. I'm glad he appointed Jack Ross and gave him the financial backing to avoid relegation. I think I'll forgive him for making a couple of decisions I don't agree with. Alternatively, I could throw my toys out of the pram.

For all we know this decision might have had nothing to do with Gordon Scott. It could have been at the advice of the police or the Spfl or whoever. I don't agree with the level of punishment as I've said , but it's possibly not just down to GS .

11 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

Did anyone make a complaint regarding the banner? I personally think the singing section have been a great boost to the atmosphere this season and a reconsideration is really called for here. 

Wholeheartedly agree.

Most disappointing here is the club have once again made a rip roaring arse of themselves.  Just hours after the club is rightly being lauded for the "wummens team" announcement they go and eff it all up with stupidity.  Petty minded halfwits a times.

A wee word would have sufficed. 

Guest TPAFKATS
In an age where drunken Rangers fans with alcohol problems narrowly avoid jail for posting threats about the Hibs manager on facebook [see this week's news], it is just possible that our board could have been advised that grown men holding up banners calling people from a named town "scum" could get the club fined or the individuals concerned arrested / thrown out the ground / charged with offensive behaviour and been a bit OTT in their response in trying to protect the banner makers /holders or the club from legal problems. 
The meltdown accusing the club of not caring about our fans, calling for boycotts, accusing the board of wanting to kill the atmosphere, colour and attendances at our own home games is entertaining to watch if nothing else.

Do you not think you're being a wee bit over dramatic in this and the few previous posts?

Guest TPAFKATS
For all we know this decision might have had nothing to do with Gordon Scott. It could have been at the advice of the police or the Spfl or whoever. I don't agree with the level of punishment as I've said , but it's possibly not just down to GS .

I think we would've heard via the club statement or the W7 guys if there had been police or SPFL involvement.

This is a daft and disproportionate step by the club, presumably intended to put a point across to the authorities that they are on top of things.

I fully expect the BoD to relent and the ban to be lifted by the New Year.

The banner was a wee bit naughty, and the folks involved now know the score, so common sense should prevail all round.

Edited by Drew

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Gordon Scott has his faults, but he's been excellent for the club so far. In my humble opinion. I'm glad he appointed Jack Ross and gave him the financial backing to avoid relegation. I think I'll forgive him for making a couple of decisions I don't agree with. Alternatively, I could throw my toys out of the pram.

He's got the big decisions right, can't argue with that.

This type of petty nonsense that goes on really does not put him in a good light though.

This seem to me that the club has over reacted and not for the 1st time. I think back to when someone was banned from the ground for 2 sec of daftness last season. Can't remember the full story but the club and police made it a bigger issue than what it was.

Sledge hammer to crack a nut?

Surely a bit of constructive dialogue between all parties involved could have avoided this. If the club are unhappy with the word 'scum' in a banner being displayed in the home end then I agree that they should speak to individuals/group involved and express their displeasure/ disappointment. Explain that this language is not in keeping with the positive banners which has been very evident in all previous displays and was out of keeping.

A ban on all future flag displays between now and end of the season is disappointing as things were building up nicely for the group.

There must be more to this story than we all don't know about but can still very easily be resolved by a quick phone call or meeting between Tony Fitzpatrick, Fans liaison officers and individuals involved.

I hope this doesn't detract from the positive relationship that appears to have built up between the fans, club, players and management team. I am sure it will be resolved before we know it with a positive outcome for all involved.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Do you not think you're being a wee bit over dramatic in this and the few previous posts?

People who disagree with me are not met by cries of don't come back to watch St Mirren again by me.  I wouldn't be surprised if the club reconsider the length of the flags and banners bans and having made their point about where the line can be drawn with banter it would be great if the banner section resolved things constructively with the club rather than whipping up a storm on social media. 

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

People who disagree with me are not met by cries of don't come back to watch St Mirren again by me.  I wouldn't be surprised if the club reconsider the length of the flags and banners bans and having made their point about where the line can be drawn with banter it would be great if the banner section resolved things constructively with the club rather than whipping up a storm on social media. 

We were going to keep it quiet and accept whatever punishment came our way - but when we were told it was an outright season ban on all flags, not just banners - with no guarantee of an appeal. SLO suggested we wait 2 months and try to get the club to reconsider, but the season will nearly be over by then.....

We felt this conclusion was overly harsh, so voted as a group, a majority wanted to put our point of view across. Don’t feel like this was an overreaction on our part. We have tried our best to be rational. Not dragging anyone through the mud - just want to be treated fairly

The propensity for the board to 'throw our support under a bus' whenever a situation arises that needs some measured thought and reaction astounds me. Perhaps there's one of them feeling vindicated now he's got saints fan, attacking saints fan over this?

I wonder how the Fans Council will support their fellow fans in W7 on this issue...

ha, ha, ... laugh...? I nearly bought a round.

apparently, given the potential authorities  sensitivity around this issue the board hired in a professional consultant to speak to the W7 crew...

Edited by Lord Pityme

I do it want the enthusiasm of fans in W7 dampened. We sit in W6 and love the atmosphere they bring with the drum and singing.
Hate to see them being hammered excessively over the banner .
To be clear I believe the banner in question was OTT and should not have been displayed, but still no justification for the club's OTT response.

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

We were going to keep it quiet and accept whatever punishment came our way - but when we were told it was an outright season ban on all flags, not just banners - with no guarantee of an appeal. SLO suggested we wait 2 months and try to get the club to reconsider, but the season will nearly be over by then.....

We felt this conclusion was overly harsh, so voted as a group, a majority wanted to put our point of view across. Don’t feel like this was an overreaction on our part. We have tried our best to be rational. Not dragging anyone through the mud - just want to be treated fairly

Hardly, before the end of January? :blink:

41 minutes ago, guinness said:

Green Brigade got a couple of Matches ban for overtly political & terrorist banners and also costing Celtic over £40,000 over the years. this seems a bit harsh in comparison.

Their ban was a case of those supporters weren't allowed in the ground - our ban is for flags rather than people.

39 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Well feel free to make your own version of the banner and walk around Greenock proclaiming the truth if you feel that strongly in favour of the banner then. 

With above banner- Absolutely

I am sure the police would intervene on the first one:D

24 minutes ago, munoz said:

But they are still allowed flags and banners to my knowledge. 

After themselves having been physically banned from the stadium for a period of time.

My understanding is there was liason between the group and club before the singing section was set up, before the drum was allowed, and over flags and banners being allowed as well as the drum. I'm already on record as saying I think they have added plenty of much needed atmosphere to the ground, it was great to arrive before the Morton game and hear noise from the stadium half a mile away. I would be surprised if in previous discussions where the club allowed the drum and banners if the club had given no warnings about circumstances where those decisions could be reversed.

I've already think the punishment from the club side is OTT but the group also need to learn from this case and stop all the online drama - before the Morton game in question there were complaints about the seating arrangements, as well as comments the stadium looked almost full would they prefer fans were locked out to make way for banners?