W7 Fans & Banners

Ronnie

Surely common sense should prevail here. A bit of discussion between the club and representatives from W7, together with an apology and a promise to tone down the banner messages in future must surely resolve the issue. I can understand the clubs condemnation of THAT banner but it does seem like an over reaction. The noise and visual displays in W7 have improved the atmosphere greatly. Get together. Get it sorted and let's not have an unnecessary divide between club and fans which indirectly may hinder what promises to be a good season on the field.

10 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

After themselves having been physically banned from the stadium for a period of time.

My understanding is there was liason between the group and club before the singing section was set up, before the drum was allowed, and over flags and banners being allowed as well as the drum. I'm already on record as saying I think they have added plenty of much needed atmosphere to the ground, it was great to arrive before the Morton game and hear noise from the stadium half a mile away. I would be surprised if in previous discussions where the club allowed the drum and banners if the club had given no warnings about circumstances where those decisions could be reversed.

I've already think the punishment from the club side is OTT but the group also need to learn from this case and stop all the online drama - before the Morton game in question there were complaints about the seating arrangements, as well as comments the stadium looked almost full would they prefer fans were locked out to make way for banners?

Sorry, what? :lol: 

The issue with the seating was that they had blocked off seats in W6, rather than the agreed seats at the front of W7. The reason that annoys us is that when we first got the section - they closed off a large part of W6, essentially isolating us from the rest of the West Stand. 

If the stand was sold out (it wasn’t) - we wouldn’t have asked for a place for the banners. 

Might seem a relatively trivial thing, but from our POV, it makes the atmosphere better when W6 isn’t blocked off , so that we’re not left on our own in the corner.

Would rather have no sections of seats blocked off, but when we first got the section they said that from a safety POV, we were to have those seats at the front blocked, to stop people running towards the pitch when we score. At the Morton game, our argument was that if someone did run on the pitch, we could get into trouble for it - stewards in fairness confirmed that they understood our concerns and would take it into consideration

Gordon Scott has his faults, but he's been excellent for the club so far. In my humble opinion. I'm glad he appointed Jack Ross and gave him the financial backing to avoid relegation. I think I'll forgive him for making a couple of decisions I don't agree with. Alternatively, I could throw my toys out of the pram.

what financial backing is this. in Jan 10 players left and 10 came in. plus any extras JR had came from SMISA.

Without having privy to the discussions between the banner boys and the Club there appears to me from the outside, to be failings on possibly both sides. The banner boys, by their own admission believed their banner would probably be unacceptable yet they continued to make it and display it. Why? Were they previously warned about wording on banners of a defamatory nature? If so why did they not heed the warning? Have they apologised and given assurances that it would not be repeated?

If the Club have given a season ban without warning then that is an over-reaction or are they reacting to warnings being ignored?

Banners should be in support of our Club, in my opinion, and the Club cannot condone banners that are defamatory to other Clubs. These banners would also be unacceptable to the police and SFA for being inflammatory causing offence and potentially causing trouble. It would be awkward for our Directors to be hosting opposition Directors and having them stare at banners that they find derogatory to their team, supporters and town.

The singing section has improved the atmosphere and I want it to continue but some responsibility is required with displays.

Older people be like..."lets ban ever thing" Teeeeeuuuuune!

if you want to rest in W7 when you die.

you'll need pre-authorisation to wear your st mirren scarf and st mirren tie.

if your trusty st mirren bonnet

says f**k the morton on it...?

you'll be kicked out W7 for giving it a try..!

Edited by Lord Pityme

At the end of the day they did something stupid(admitted it) now crying all over social media because they got punished. As much as people think the club are coming out looking bad I think the boys are coming out looking alot worse. What if their initial petty protests don't work then stop attending games???

Guest TPAFKATS
After themselves having been physically banned from the stadium for a period of time.
My understanding is there was liason between the group and club before the singing section was set up, before the drum was allowed, and over flags and banners being allowed as well as the drum. I'm already on record as saying I think they have added plenty of much needed atmosphere to the ground, it was great to arrive before the Morton game and hear noise from the stadium half a mile away. I would be surprised if in previous discussions where the club allowed the drum and banners if the club had given no warnings about circumstances where those decisions could be reversed.
I've already think the punishment from the club side is OTT but the group also need to learn from this case and stop all the online drama - before the Morton game in question there were complaints about the seating arrangements, as well as comments the stadium looked almost full would they prefer fans were locked out to make way for banners?

Online drama? You mean the gif that was posted that you have taken literally?

Also, you do realise that no one was denied a seat against Morton due to flags banners or even a drum.

Without knowing exactly what was said between the set of fans and the club. It seems a ridiculous 'punishment' from the club. If the set of fans have apologised and said they won't do it/offend/whatever again then club statement if needed (if someone has complained) saying said fans have been told off, won't happen again, banner banned blah blah lets get on with the fibta.

Again without knowing the full convos - for me personally the boycott seems daft.

Still tho - a season long ban on all flags and banners seems nonsense!

4 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

I do it want the enthusiasm of fans in W7 dampened. We sit in W6 and love the atmosphere they bring with the drum and singing.
Hate to see them being hammered excessively over the banner .
To be clear I believe the banner in question was OTT and should not have been displayed, but still no justification for the club's OTT response.

Do two OTTs make a right?

Our dull,grey shoebox of a subbuteo stadium finally gets an atmosphere , complimented with a winning team to make being at home a pleasure rather than a chore & we remove part of the winning formula?

We’ve put up with visiting fans standing for the whole game, singing sectarian songs & using derogatory terms since being in this stadium from certain clubs over the years.

Swearing is ‘tolerated’ in moderation in 3 stands & wee banner creates this ?

Shocking response from the club.

Watch the next 3 home game results & see what impact this decision has on the scores.

Back to back defeats to coincide?

Lets see.

2 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

what financial backing is this. in Jan 10 players left and 10 came in. plus any extras JR had came from SMISA.

You really don't think that the wages of the shite we jettisoned in January paid for the wages of the incoming players, or that he didn't O.K. funds from player sales being used to fund the incoming players. :lol:

You'll be telling me that Santa is real next.

You really don't think that the wages of the shite we jettisoned in January paid for the wages of the incoming players, or that he didn't O.K. funds from player sales being used to fund the incoming players. :lol:
You'll be telling me that Santa is real next.

I take exception to your comments!

Santa is indeed real ffs :D

Weans use this site anaw.

We do live in a world these days when it's almost impossible to do or say anything without some poor wee sole being offended.

That said the group seem to acknowledge they knew the banner would not go down well with the club so why risk the conflict in the first place.

The club I assume will have good reason to come to the decision they have and while I agree the section has helped enormously with the atmosphere at the stadium the tail can not wag the dog!

Talk of boycotts or silence is immature and foolish. No one wins in that situation. Dialogue is the best way forward, so I hope both parties can get together and sort a compromise. 

This should not be allowed to derail what has so far been a great season or change the feelgood factor and relationship that exisits just now between the team and supporters.

COYS.

1 hour ago, whydowebother said:

Our dull,grey shoebox of a subbuteo stadium finally gets an atmosphere , complimented with a winning team to make being at home a pleasure rather than a chore & we remove part of the winning formula?

We’ve put up with visiting fans standing for the whole game, singing sectarian songs & using derogatory terms since being in this stadium from certain clubs over the years.

Swearing is ‘tolerated’ in moderation in 3 stands & wee banner creates this ?

Shocking response from the club.

Watch the next 3 home game results & see what impact this decision has on the scores.

Back to back defeats to coincide?

Lets see.

It's almost as if you're gagging for defeats so you can revisit this thread in a few weeks.

If flags not on display will turn wins to defeats, we may as well get rid of all coaching staff as they clearly aren't needed.

At the end of the day they did something stupid(admitted it) now crying all over social media because they got punished. As much as people think the club are coming out looking bad I think the boys are coming out looking alot worse. What if their initial petty protests don't work then stop attending games???

Quite similar to my thoughts. Someone tweeted about being "laughing stock" surely people only know to laugh about it is because you are tweeting about it.

23 hours ago, Doakes said:

Just to reply to some of the above

We’ve never been warned since we started the section. In fact all feedback has been positive. Even from JR and the players.

We knew the banner was gonna be on the line of what was acceptable - but was only meant as being a bit cheeky - drawing attention to how long it was since they last won a cup!

There was no backlash from Morton fans, so can’t imagine they were too offended. In fact had a few of them backing us up on twitter. They had one a few seasons back with Tesselaar’s “shitehole” headline..

We hold our hands up that the banner was a wee bit on the line - and would accept a slap on the wrist or a few games flag ban. But till the end of the season? Don’t think it was that bad. 

Did the Club at any point give you guidelines as to what was acceptable on banners?

I ask as you state 'We knew the banner was gonna be on the line'. Was that because you had prior knowledge of what was acceptable or did you come to your own conclusion?

It's almost as if you're gagging for defeats so you can revisit this thread in a few weeks.

If flags not on display will turn wins to defeats, we may as well get rid of all coaching staff as they clearly aren't needed.

Easy remark for you to make.

Entirely wrong however. We have finally found a good balance between the atmosphere & results on the pitch, they compliment each other I think.

If home games atmosphere is reduced & the defeats follow, perhaps that’ll just be coincidence.

We are always being told ‘back the team’ be vocal, create an atmosphere & the noisiest part of the support are being suppressed.

Just my opinion though.

45 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Easy remark for you to make.

Entirely wrong however. We have finally found a good balance between the atmosphere & results on the pitch, they compliment each other I think.

If home games atmosphere is reduced & the defeats follow, perhaps that’ll just be coincidence.

We are always being told ‘back the team’ be vocal, create an atmosphere & the noisiest part of the support are being suppressed.

Just my opinion though.

The noisiest part of the support are being suppressed? They are still welcome to attend and sit or stand in their usual section and sing and bang their drum!

The noisiest part of the support are being suppressed? They are still welcome to attend and sit or stand in their usual section and sing and bang their drum!

I take your point, but I think their enthusiasm for generating noise will be dampened, so rather than then motivating the team, it’ll need to be the other way round.

The ban could be counter productive.