W7 Fans & Banners

Ronnie

7 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

You're assuming thst those charged with running the club have the extra time to devote to resolving the issue.  The club probably don't view this as a punishment, more as the removal of a problem.

I would ask the question, did the banner crew offer or were they asked for an undertaking not to offend when they got their area allocated?

I am assuming that those charged with running the club should make time to get this sorted out, it could be accomplished in less than half an hour over a cup of tea or coffee .

I'm not in a position to be able to answer your question for obvious reasons, but it's a fair question and perhaps one of the guys involved could enlighten us.

Some are saying it's a family club that the young ones like the displays and colours. My 2 love it they only come for the hotdogs and the displays 1 of them gets to wave a spare flag about and with this ban he won't want to come and then that'l be me screwed For the rest of the season and won' be attending much more games. What's important is saints getting 3 points and my weans being happy and if there not happy then I'm not happy.

I agree about double standards here. Going back a long way to the late nineties granted, but i can remember the clubs own mascot the Paisley panda standing in front of the Morton fans and pretending to wash under its arms as if it was showering. While this was hilarious, some might deem it offensive. Personally i still chuckle to myself when i picture it in my mind all these years on [emoji3].

This post reminds me of our first game at cappielow last season or the season before . Evening game. It started raining and as we were in the WDE we were getting soaked. Obviously this amused our friends from the tail of the bank who started singing 'what's it like to have a wash?' This went on for a few minutes until they realised what they were asking. Silly billys

9 hours ago, jkd said:

Some are saying it's a family club that the young ones like the displays and colours. My 2 love it they only come for the hotdogs and the displays 1 of them gets to wave a spare flag about and with this ban he won't want to come and then that'l be me screwed For the rest of the season and won' be attending much more games. What's important is saints getting 3 points and my weans being happy and if there not happy then I'm not happy.

Only those who blatantly broke the rules in W7 are forbidden to fly flags and raise banners. There is no statement from the Club to say the rest of the support are banned. So get into the Shop, buy some flags and get your weans flying them. 

On 22/11/2017 at 4:23 PM, whydowebother said:

Our dull,grey shoebox of a subbuteo stadium finally gets an atmosphere , complimented with a winning team to make being at home a pleasure rather than a chore & we remove part of the winning formula?

Calling folk from another town "Scum" should not be part of anyone's winning formula 

We’ve put up with visiting fans standing for the whole game, singing sectarian songs & using derogatory terms since being in this stadium from certain clubs over the years.

So is it if we can't beat them let's join them? I'd prefer we were leaders rather than followers. 

I can imagine that our board were very proud to say to visiting directors how the banner waving guys had added greatly to what they were trying to achieve at St. Mirren.

I imagine our directors were very disappointed to see the banner.  The directors may not have laid down rules beforehand as they probably never thought such a banner would appear.  

They obviously credited the members of group who decided on this banner to be a bit more mature than this action indicates. 

Could you imagine the uproar if the Green Brigade had a "Govan Scum" banner?

I believe there was a Soap Works in Greenock until the late 1880s.
How about a banner,
"GREENOCK SOAP WORKS CLOSED 1887 - THAT EXPLAINS A LOT [emoji14]"
Too long?

Ha, true story...

Although my kids were born in Leeds, they class themselves 100% Scottish & all Saints fans.

Anyway I kid you not , in a history lesson the subject of Greenock came up & it mentioned ‘The great unwashed’ in reference to people from that area, Daniel my son shared his amusement with the teacher & his classmates [emoji2]

Nobody got a restraining order in during that lesson. :P

2 hours ago, E=Mc2 said:

I can imagine that our board were very proud to say to visiting directors how the banner waving guys had added greatly to what they were trying to achieve at St. Mirren.

I imagine our directors were very disappointed to see the banner.  The directors may not have laid down rules beforehand as they probably never thought such a banner would appear.  

They obviously credited the members of group who decided on this banner to be a bit more mature than this action indicates. 

Could you imagine the uproar if the Green Brigade had a "Govan Scum" banner?

If that scenario had taken place , dont you think there would have been a "get that tae f**k down" message relayed across to the stewards in W7 pdq ? 

If they were that embarrassed why did they wait three weeks to ban it ?  ( & all the other non offensive flag and banner displays )

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

If that scenario had taken place , dont you think there would have been a "get that tae f**k down" message relayed across to the stewards in W7 pdq ? 

If they were that embarrassed why did they wait three weeks to ban it ?  ( & all the other non offensive flag and banner displays )

I agree the reaction should have a lot quicker than 3 weeks.

30 minutes should have been more than long enough.

If there is a person who liaises with the W7 then he/she should been across asking them to mention that it is not going down very well across in the other stand.

Perhaps I should be the liaison officer.

I could authorise all the banners. 

"FAMOUS TEAMS FROM THE PAST BROOKLYN DODGERS, LOS ANGELES DODGERS, SOAP DODGERS"

Just now, E=Mc2 said:

If there is a person who liaises with the W7 then he/she should been across asking them to mention that it is not going down very well across in the other stand.

"FAMOUS TEAMS FROM THE PAST BROOKLYN DODGERS, LOS ANGELES DODGERS, SOAP DODGERS"

Edit to add

I would not have asked the stewards to take any action. Someone should be harnessing the enthusiasm  W7 has for their team and be giving them guidance on levels of what is  acceptable.  By all means push the boundaries but don't cross the line.  Let's hope this is a learning curve for both the club and W7.

Guest TPAFKATS

The 'offensive' banner was only displayed for about 5 minutes at the most in the middle of the first half.

Guest TPAFKATS
Not sure the time it was, allegedly, displayed is important unless it's less "offensive" if it's only shown for a short time?  :blink:

It's important in relation to the quoted posted replied to where E=MC2 stated action should've been taken within 30 minutes of the banner being displayed - if it was already taken down action might not have been possible.

It's also relevant that it was displayed for a short period during the game, without any fanfare from those displaying it thereby limiting those exposed to the terrible thing. For example mention was made about the Morton directors. Given that play wad ongoing, I'm not sure if the Morton directors even noticed it never mind complained about it.