Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

W7 Fans & Banners

It's not even necessarily about insults or offence. To me it's all just a little bit......low brow really. A bit low class.

As "banter" goes it's not even funny and it isn't clever either. It's just low class and cringey.

I wonder why people even went to the bother of making something so dull in every aspect.

If people are going to do stuff like this, at least TRY to make it funny or clever.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, BaldyOzBud said:

I didn't either, but I did think it may be pushing the buttons of those who love nothing more than to be outraged by just about everything, and as such was half expecting a reaction such as this.

A slap on the wrist and a " Lets not do it again" chat with the W7 guys would have been appropriate IMO.

You're assuming thst those charged with running the club have the extra time to devote to resolving the issue.  The club probably don't view this as a punishment, more as the removal of a problem.

I would ask the question, did the banner crew offer or were they asked for an undertaking not to offend when they got their area allocated?

IMO just when the club and the fans were all together. singing off the same hymn sheet if you like. this has the potential to be a us and them attitude again. Think the club should think again about this and maybe a representative from W7 should have a chat with Fitzy. I love the atmosphere at home games at the moment and even when my cousins were over from Canada they loved it too. Would such a shame to lose it. Powers at be please think again

Listen guys, I reckon if you turn up with a large banner that says "WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN" the powers at be will be hard pressed to come and take it off you, There would be an uproar. Similarly if people wave black and white flags nobody is going to be stupid enough to try and remove those. W7 if you want to win this battle use a bit of savvy and reverse psychology. Good luck. Some good can come of this if you use your loaf.

I'll ask a question on this, and if covered elsewhere apologies, but if the banner was deemed to be categorised as offensive then why didn't the club instruct the fans, or stewards to instruct them, to remove it there and then? Additionally if the stewards are to do their job surely they need to know what is acceptable or not and have to be empowered to act upon it?

For me the banner is not near unacceptable, for if we were to apply logic saying it is offensive then several of the songs and chants about our erstwhile pungent neighbours need clarity from the club before many are ejected during games too. If the club felt this was too close to unacceptable then a quiet word would have sufficed, we have to have the ability to poke fun at our rivals, as they do us, else it is just another game in the calendar.

17 hours ago, Doakes said:

So how do we get off with posting pictures of a morton mascot being hanged in an official club magazine? I could name various other times we’ve had a joke about our rivals in an “official” capacity 

The double standards are ridiculous. If we’re gonna adopt a dictators approach to our ground and the rules, even when it comes to a derby, the game really is over

I agree about double standards here. Going back a long way to the late nineties granted, but i can remember the clubs own mascot the Paisley panda standing in front of the Morton fans and pretending to wash under its arms as if it was showering. While this was hilarious, some might deem it offensive. Personally i still chuckle to myself when i picture it in my mind all these years on :D.

No laws were broken. Club rules perhaps,  if looked at under the microscope. Before any future banners are made e-mail a copy of the design to the SLO for the once over. That might be a bit too much common sense though...

Edited by Pepé Le Pew

7 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

You're assuming thst those charged with running the club have the extra time to devote to resolving the issue.  The club probably don't view this as a punishment, more as the removal of a problem.

I would ask the question, did the banner crew offer or were they asked for an undertaking not to offend when they got their area allocated?

I am assuming that those charged with running the club should make time to get this sorted out, it could be accomplished in less than half an hour over a cup of tea or coffee .

I'm not in a position to be able to answer your question for obvious reasons, but it's a fair question and perhaps one of the guys involved could enlighten us.

Some are saying it's a family club that the young ones like the displays and colours. My 2 love it they only come for the hotdogs and the displays 1 of them gets to wave a spare flag about and with this ban he won't want to come and then that'l be me screwed For the rest of the season and won' be attending much more games. What's important is saints getting 3 points and my weans being happy and if there not happy then I'm not happy.

I agree about double standards here. Going back a long way to the late nineties granted, but i can remember the clubs own mascot the Paisley panda standing in front of the Morton fans and pretending to wash under its arms as if it was showering. While this was hilarious, some might deem it offensive. Personally i still chuckle to myself when i picture it in my mind all these years on .

This post reminds me of our first game at cappielow last season or the season before . Evening game. It started raining and as we were in the WDE we were getting soaked. Obviously this amused our friends from the tail of the bank who started singing 'what's it like to have a wash?' This went on for a few minutes until they realised what they were asking. Silly billys

9 hours ago, jkd said:

Some are saying it's a family club that the young ones like the displays and colours. My 2 love it they only come for the hotdogs and the displays 1 of them gets to wave a spare flag about and with this ban he won't want to come and then that'l be me screwed For the rest of the season and won' be attending much more games. What's important is saints getting 3 points and my weans being happy and if there not happy then I'm not happy.

Only those who blatantly broke the rules in W7 are forbidden to fly flags and raise banners. There is no statement from the Club to say the rest of the support are banned. So get into the Shop, buy some flags and get your weans flying them. 

On 22/11/2017 at 4:23 PM, whydowebother said:

Our dull,grey shoebox of a subbuteo stadium finally gets an atmosphere , complimented with a winning team to make being at home a pleasure rather than a chore & we remove part of the winning formula?

Calling folk from another town "Scum" should not be part of anyone's winning formula 

We’ve put up with visiting fans standing for the whole game, singing sectarian songs & using derogatory terms since being in this stadium from certain clubs over the years.

So is it if we can't beat them let's join them? I'd prefer we were leaders rather than followers. 

I can imagine that our board were very proud to say to visiting directors how the banner waving guys had added greatly to what they were trying to achieve at St. Mirren.

I imagine our directors were very disappointed to see the banner.  The directors may not have laid down rules beforehand as they probably never thought such a banner would appear.  

They obviously credited the members of group who decided on this banner to be a bit more mature than this action indicates. 

Could you imagine the uproar if the Green Brigade had a "Govan Scum" banner?