And the winner is ....... Buddievision

Sonny

Just about all of the top clubs are introducing or will be thinking of a subscription based side to their website. Football is a business after all and generating extra income to fund areas of the club is required. £5 a month (£1.25 a week) is hardly breaking the bank in my opinion.

I am sure there are other subscription based services that we have all or at least some point in our lives signed up to.

It is for some and not for others at the end of the day, though I hardly think its worth having a moan and a dig at the club over. You can't expect everything for free in life.

11 hours ago, shull said:

I wonder if the story about the banning of Periscope was all made up.

Bit of a coincidence it happened this weekend

I didn't make anything up. I was contacted by the club middle of last week and politely asked to stop filming at the stadium.  The police identified me on camera against Dumbarton and referenced my seat number with the season ticket database and asked the club to get in touch. That's genuinely what I was told.

Of course they might have made this all up so if someone else wants to film the games they can find out if it's true or not!

I'm not prepared to run that risk. As an aside I've previously been told to stop filming at Raith Rovers, Falkirk and Dundee Utd.

10 hours ago, HSS said:

I wonder how many Buds have actually signed up for it and how much money the club are making from it.

I can't see the club making much from it.

You might be surprised. Lots of subscriptions over the first weekend.

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Just seen on Twitter that the goals will be on You Tube on a Mon night.

I believe the plan is just that. BuddieVision subscribers get early access to the highlights and these will still be published to YouTube but a couple of days later.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:54 AM, Bud the Baker said:

I'll be sad to see the highlights package go, with div now semi-official I suppose a return to posting this sorta stuff in the sideboard is out of the question. :mellow:

I've not got anything to post on the sideboard. The videos are restricted to being played on stmirren.com as you might expect.

I help the club out with their web stuff but that is because it's what I do for a living.  Same as I have helped SMiSA out with their stuff in the past.

I've no official role with the club and nor do I want one.

17 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Just about all of the top clubs are introducing or will be thinking of a subscription based side to their website. Football is a business after all and generating extra income to fund areas of the club is required. £5 a month (£1.25 a week) is hardly breaking the bank in my opinion.

I am sure there are other subscription based services that we have all or at least some point in our lives signed up to.

It is for some and not for others at the end of the day, though I hardly think its worth having a moan and a dig at the club over. You can't expect everything for free in life.

Pretty much this.

I totally get that supporting St.Mirren has become extremely expensive in the last couple of years especially. The Buy The Buds subscriptions, the 1877 members bar subs, season tickets, replica strips, and now BuddieVision.

This is modern day football however. Clubs are trying to maximise the revenue they generate and the website is just another means of doing that.

Fair enough. 

I will watch highlights on a Monday night, if I remember. 

Interviews with any player is usually cliché ridden nonsense anyway. 

So I will keep my money for Bung a Baw at Panda and a Curry Pie for the wean. 

22 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I don't expect everything for free. Although after a 20 pound entry fee there should be plenty 'on the house extras. 

Anyway, after spending on Season Tickets, Pies, Coffee, Car Parking, Bung a Baw, a mortgage for 3 strips in the Club Shop...

The Club could keep St Mirren TV FREE FOR ALL. 

If as SMFC have done, and other clubs do, you restrict access to the club by any means other than financial, then you run the very real risk of restricting the potential width of your support base to only those who can afford to pay an ever increasing list of communication costs.

having to pay for a product you may well have actually paid to witness live at first hand is pretty pathetic imo so no surprise i wont be signing up to pay for highlights of a game i just watched. The thing that may lead to people dropping their subscriptions is the realisation that our highlights (inhouse tv) are a bit naff in quality and content.

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

If as SMFC have done, and other clubs do, you restrict access to the club by any means other than financial, then you run the very real risk of restricting the potential width of your support base to only those who can afford to pay an ever increasing list of communication costs.

having to pay for a product you may well have actually paid to witness live at first hand is pretty pathetic imo so no surprise i wont be signing up to pay for highlights of a game i just watched. The thing that may lead to people dropping their subscriptions is the realisation that our highlights (inhouse tv) are a bit naff in quality and content.

It's very simple you don't want to subscribe you don't if you want highlights they will be on youtube.. To suggest it will stop future fans supporting the club is just silly talk.

Guest TPAFKATS
I've not got anything to post on the sideboard. The videos are restricted to being played on stmirren.com as you might expect.

I help the club out with their web stuff but that is because it's what I do for a living.  Same as I have helped SMiSA out with their stuff in the past.

I've no official role with the club and nor do I want one.

Not suggesting anything made up by you, but the part about police scotland is ridiculous.

No criminal act being committed, so surely police scotland would only act to identify you at the behest of the club.

Makes a mockery of the club claiming that police don't work at games as stewards are enough.

6 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I find myself (for once) agreeing with you on this.

Also, the drum was particularly irritating to listen to for the full 90 minutes.

I opted to pay 1 month's subscription, but unless there is an improvement in the quality, I will seriously be reconsidering renewing on a monthly basis.

14 minutes ago, shull said:

I don't expect everything for free. Although after a 20 pound entry fee there should be plenty 'on the house extras. 

Anyway, after spending on Season Tickets, Pies, Coffee, Car Parking, Bung a Baw, a mortgage for 3 strips in the Club Shop...

The Club could keep St Mirren TV FREE FOR ALL. 

I can understand on your point that you pay for other club related things on a matchday plus merchandise and it is clearly not for you.

You will find though Shull that St Mirren video content is not done on a voluntary basis.  Being self-employed yourself, you will know that giving away free services for your time is not really feasible long term.

8 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Not suggesting anything made up by you, but the part about police scotland is ridiculous.

Filming in the stadium is, and always has been illegal. It's printed on the tickets.

Right enough, it's also illegal to enter the stadium under the influence of alcohol :D

Maybe the club have exaggerated, I've no idea. As I say, I'm not really prepared to run the risk of being thrown out or arrested just so some folk can watch the game for free through my phone!

To be fair it was becoming a pain in the arse anyway. Holding a phone up for 90 mins isn't a lot of fun and at the end of the day I'm there to try and enjoy the game, not to work!

I even had folk slaughtering me at times for "shite camerawork"! This is them sitting at home watching the game for free! You couldn't make it up!

10 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I was thinking that myself,why would PS be interested in someone filming a game?

Maybe a ban on phones in the Stadium next? :lol:

Edited by HSS

Like anything else that has a cost, it is pretty simple to opt not to sign up for this.

The only subscription service I would sign up for is live coverage of matches if I were a far flung fud. Otherwise, there isn't really anything of sufficient interest to induce me to spend money on a subscription based TV type channel as opposed to buying a scarf or mug from the club shop.

I imagine this will have more appeal for people who can't make it to games or read the local press for interviews, etc. On that basis, it is fair enough.

Guest TPAFKATS
Filming in the stadium is, and always has been illegal. It's printed on the tickets.
Right enough, it's also illegal to enter the stadium under the influence of alcohol [emoji3]
Maybe the club have exaggerated, I've no idea. As I say, I'm not really prepared to run the risk of being thrown out or arrested just so some folk can watch the game for free through my phone!
To be fair it was becoming a pain in the arse anyway. Holding a phone up for 90 mins isn't a lot of fun and at the end of the day I'm there to try and enjoy the game, not to work!
I even had folk slaughtering me at times for "shite camerawork"! This is them sitting at home watching the game for free! You couldn't make it up!

Yeah, I edited my post to clarify but it's overlapped with ur reply. Filming in the ground isn't criminal (no so sure about your filming though [emoji23]) and would be dealt with by the club and their stewards, same as in a concert venue. Police would only get a involved if required due to you not complying with instruction, i.e. a public order issue?

Anyway thanks for the effort div, particularly last seasons midweek games (even Raith away)

Guest TPAFKATS
I was thinking that myself,why would PS be interested in someone filming a game?
Maybe a ban on phones in the Stadium next? [emoji38]

I confess to using my phone to capture an image of a 'banned' banner at a recent Derby.

36 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I can understand on your point that you pay for other club related things on a matchday plus merchandise and it is clearly not for you.

You will find though Shull that St Mirren video content is not done on a voluntary basis.  Being self-employed yourself, you will know that giving away free services for your time is not really feasible long term.

The Club can pay for it with the ridiculous amount of mark up they add onto Strips that are worth not very much. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It's very simple you don't want to subscribe you don't if you want highlights they will be on youtube.. To suggest it will stop future fans supporting the club is just silly talk.

If a casual observer, or young un has to pay to catch our highlights it will put those who cant/wont pay off, that's just simple logic. Its hard enough as it is to get youngsters interested in the football fayre served up in Scotland these days.

anyway, the proof will be in how long it runs for before they have to drop prices etc to sell subscriptions.

Edited by Lord Pityme

5 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

A bit contradictive in a way is that not sir? :blink: You pay for something you don't see value you in, though pay for it each season:lol:

When my child wants a St Mirren Strip, she gets one, two and sometimes three St Mirren strips. 

Yes, I get totally ripped off by my Club. 

Therefore, they can give me free St Mirren highlights on a Saturday night or Sunday morning. 

33 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

If a casual observer, or young un has to pay to catch our highlights it will put those who cant/wont pay off, that's just simple logic. Its hard enough as it is to get youngsters interested in the football fayre served up in Scotland these days.

anyway, the proof will be in how long it runs for before they have to drop prices etc to sell subscriptions.

I think it's more likely to be used as an up-sell on Season Tickets in future. Buy a Season Ticket before X and get BuddieVision bundled in for free for the season or something like that.

Lot will depend on how subscription numbers hold up. The premise is that the more subscribers there are, the more resource the club can afford to throw at it in terms of people and technology, so the quality should continue to improve.

The aim of the whole project I think was to make the media department at least cost neutral if not a revenue generating part of the club. If they can do that then it frees up more money to be spent elsewhere I guess. Maybe on new footballs :lol:

Fans are spoiled now with the amount of games, goals and interviews on the telly and laptop. I can remember in the old days :rolleyes:  when you went to a game you were hoping to see a TV camera, so you knew your game was on the telly that sat night, and the chance to see the goal you missed when going for a pee  :lol:

I think it's more likely to be used as an up-sell on Season Tickets in future. Buy a Season Ticket before X and get BuddieVision bundled in for free for the season or something like that.

Lot will depend on how subscription numbers hold up. The premise is that the more subscribers there are, the more resource the club can afford to throw at it in terms of people and technology, so the quality should continue to improve.

The aim of the whole project I think was to make the media department at least cost neutral if not a revenue generating part of the club. If they can do that then it frees up more money to be spent elsewhere I guess. Maybe on new footballs :lol:

In that regard Shull's point of spending £20 at any game is actually more lucrative for the club per game than a season ticket. Yes I know they like to get you to commit to all the home games, but if you don't buy a season ticket and spend the £20 why not have a code on the ticket for that day that allows you to look in at Budievision as part of the fact that you have contributed £20 to the club's coffers.