St Mirren V Dumbarton 02/12/2017

Mr Zo

I am biased as I know him,  but Tom Walsh is surely better than any of the fringe attacking players that we have the moment. Still young , two footed and can play wing, attacking midfield and striker.  Re-sign him I say.  As for the poster that said that the performance was worse than any under Murray and Rae, you must have missed the early season  home game against Dumbarton under Murray.  Not once in the whole game did we close anyone down... 

Total junk. Just another laughable tirade against Jack Ross trying to justify your silly thread last season.

We are not a great side but we are 2nd top and challenging. Jack Ross has done a superb job at St Mirren.

I don't think personally we will go up this season but I think we will next. I think Ross's judgement of players and areas of weakness has been superb and I think he'll learn a lot this season and put us up next.

I used to read your comments before the Jack Ross thread last season and you came across as sensible poster but since the Jack Ross thread its been nonsense. Man up and admit you were wrong

You say total junk then you go on without actually refuting any of the points made.

You agree with me that we aren’t a great side then go on a rant about how we won’t go up now but will next year ? Why next year? Every team will be completely different next year, including us.

I will focus on the current season and leave you to speculate about what might happen in 18:19.

The current side will almost certainly finish in the playoffs (as we should given our budget) and then it’s about luck as much as judgment. Success?

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

Can anyone tell me how not having a single shot on target during a home game against a part time team is okay?

Nobody is saying that that is okay, however don't forget that we are the second top goal scorers in the division, just 1 goal  behind Dunfermline who overtook us by scoring today, so its not as if today is always the norm for our games this season.

Nobody is saying that that is okay, however don't forget that we are the second top goal scorers in the division, just 1 goal  behind Dunfermline who overtook us by scoring today, so its not as if today is always the norm for our games this season.

Indeed, the league position is good. We are second and I’m sure we will finish around there.

We might even win the league. United are top despite being hopeless (as their own fans will tell you). This is the worst second tier in living memory and it’s anyone’s for the taking.

Doesn’t mean days like today should just be accepted with a shrug though.

Losing at home to Dumbarton isn’t okay. Let us not slip into the lowly mindset where it is okay.

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

You say total junk then you go on without actually refuting any of the points made.

You agree with me that we aren’t a great side then go on a rant about how we won’t go up now but will next year ? Why next year? Every team will be completely different next year, including us.

I will focus on the current season and leave you to speculate about what might happen in 18:19.

The current side will almost certainly finish in the playoffs (as we should given our budget) and then it’s about luck as much as judgment. Success?

Its you that is ranting.

I don't think we'll win the league this season as I think United will. I don't think we'll win a play off with Premiership team. If we come second this season which I think we can then I think thats success given where we were last.

If your only measure of Jack Ross being a success is to win promotion this season and get into Premiership then I think your a fool.

Ross has consistently improved the club and the playing squad and I think he'll build to the point where next season we will win it. 

You can use the fact that I talk about next season as a diversion from the nonsense your spouting. 

The vast majority of St Mirren fans don't think we have  a great team they think we have a good team for Championship standard and have a good young manager who's record as a manager is very good and shows potential to become a top manager. Yes he makes mistakes but he's learning to.

You took a punt on an opinion of Jack Ross last season which went horribly wrong and you can't back out of it gracefully. Nobody agrees with you

9 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Indeed, the league position is good. We are second and I’m sure we will finish around there.

We might even win the league. United are top despite being hopeless (as their own fans will tell you). This is the worst second tier in living memory and it’s anyone’s for the taking.

Losing at home to Dumbarton isn’t okay. Let us not slip into the lowly mindset where it is okay.

Who said losing at home to Dumbarton is ok. Not one single person involved with SMFC thinks losing to Dumbarton at home is acceptable. 

Its not anyone's for the taking. For me there are only 3 teams in it United, Dunfermline and  SMFC.  Dunfermline as an outsider at that.

Edited by lenziebud

9 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Yeah i believe it will be between us and united as to who finishes top this year. A result like today shouldn't be just shrugged off no, It was poor in the context of how the majority of our other games have went this season, it should be used as motivation for the players for upcoming matches like next Saturday. What also shouldn't happen after a result like today is that it gets completely blown out of proportion as if this has been as if it has been a very regular occurrence this season (e.g as if all our games so far has gone a similar way to the start of last season) This is only our first home defeat this season and first since January.  

Absolutely spot on . Only not too sure about red card looked pretty bad from where I was

It was right in front of me and my instant reaction to seeing it was "hope he doesn't get a red" so don't feel it was too harsh. I don't think there was much contact but there was enough to warrant a red.

8 hours ago, TopCat said:

Why is it not OK to lose to Dumbarton we have been doing it for years they are most certainly our bogey team and there does not seem to be much we can do about it regardless of who is in our team we struggle against them. I think it's a mindset thing with the players. 

Just seen JR's post-match interview. Calm, measured and very honest. Showed again what a good manager he is and that we're fortunate to have him at the club. Said first of all that he would look at his own performance in preparing the team, but quite rightly then said that the players should take the major part of the responsibility for the performance as they were well below their usual level, but didn't go over the top in his criticism and reminded us of the consistently high level achieved in recent times. Struck exactly the right balance and reinforced my view that he is the right man for the club at the moment.

20 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Just seen JR's post-match interview. Calm, measured and very honest. Showed again what a good manager he is and that we're fortunate to have him at the club. Said first of all that he would look at his own performance in preparing the team, but quite rightly then said that the players should take the major part of the responsibility for the performance as they were well below their usual level, but didn't go over the top in his criticism and reminded us of the consistently high level achieved in recent times. Struck exactly the right balance and reinforced my view that he is the right man for the club at the moment.

I agree he's as good as it gets for us and the criticism aimed at him yesterday was, mostly, reasonable but, as usual, there's an over reaction from quite a few.

Some can see no wrong, which is as equally as bonkers as the knee jerk reaction from others.

Nobody's going to get it right all of the time.

All we can hope for is that, and he has been, he gets it right more than he gets it wrong. 

25 minutes ago, pondsman said:

This.

10 hours ago, TopCat said:

What you want from Dumbarton?

They’re a part time side who train for a couple of hours on a Tuesday and Thursday evening and play on a Saturday. These guys who beat us today have work on Monday.

You want them to come to Paisley, rip it up with some great football then take the 3 points? Why?

Why can’t they come to Paisley, shitfest it, then walk off happy with the money?

That’s what I’d do. That’s what they did.

Again.

Did I mention I wanted them to play great football? No I did not so do not make things up.

Several posters claimed how good Dumbarton were. Dumbarton played exactly as I expected them to. The problem was we did not play the way I expected us to. If we had played the way we did against a far superior Livi on Tues night we would have blown Dumbarton away. However we did not and they played their normal game and won. End of story.

For long spells in the 2nd half, Dumbarton seemed content with taking a point - against 10 men playing poorly. They weren't very good, but on the stats alone, deserved to take the 3 points.

We had an off day. It was disappointing, but happens. It happens to all teams. Time to move on.

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

Anyone defending Stellios after watching that needs their head checked. 

Very stupid of him.

Whilst it would be wrong to condone what Sterllios did and is not the kind of play we expect from our players , we have seen far worse go completely unpunished in games . .

. .do you remember the Dundee game. .