St Mirren V Dumbarton 02/12/2017

Mr Zo

12 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Whilst it would be wrong to condone what Sterllios did and is not the kind of play we expect from our players , we have seen far worse go completely unpunished in games . .

. .do you remember the Dundee game. .

I remember a lot of games. I remember a lot of poor refereeing decisions against us. Nothing that can excuse the stupidity of Stellios yesterday. 

I was a stupid challenge that gave the referee a decision to make. 

Edited by davidg

Got a text from my daughter saying a young guy who is autistic, got assaulted near the paper shop across from the ground (guessing it is the 1 in Greenhill Rd) after the game and his mother is asking if anybody witness it. His mother said he is is not badly hurt but is totally traumatised by it and is appealing for witnesses.

Never a sending off.

An average ariel challenge that you see several times throughout every game. Daft on Stelios 's part to give the referee the chance but don't think it was a sending off.

Found out shortly after the game that the players were in taxis on the way to airport for their night out in Belfast. I think most of them left the stadium at 3:05. Poorest team effort since January 2017 at home to QOS.

Every player should be ashamed of that showing yesterday. We were so poor and found that massively disappointing considering we had a great chance to beat an very average Dumbarton team.

Next week we will see a different team effort at Brechin but yesterday was poor and an opportunity missed to push ourselves further ahead of the chasing pack.

3 minutes ago, Mr Zo said:

Never a sending off.

An average ariel challenge that you see several times throughout every game. Daft on Stelios 's part to give the referee the chance but don't think it was a sending off.

Found out shortly after the game that the players were in taxis on the way to airport for their night out in Belfast. I think most of them left the stadium at 3:05. Poorest team effort since January 2017 at home to QOS.

Every player should be ashamed of that showing yesterday. We were so poor and found that massively disappointing considering we had a great chance to beat an very average Dumbarton team.

Next wee we will see a different team effort at Brechin but yesterday was poor and an opportunity missed to lush ourselves further ahead if the chasing pack.

Yep, Dundee United will take a lot of confidence from our result & performance.

A great chance to put together a good run blown, I do hope yesterday is not the decisive game in our season but there is every chance it will be.

Players mind were obviously elsewhere, the most we can hope for is the memory of yesterday to be used as motivation for a strong winning run to get us back to the top.

Imagine not being able to enjoy it. Enjoy the great escape, followed by the push for the title. To not be able to enjoy the pumpings of Hibs, Dundee United, Falkirk, Morton, Ayr, Raith and the rest, to not be able to enjoy the 10 months unbeaten in the league at our own ground, where we could barely go ten days unbeaten previously. Imagine hoping we lose like we did yesterday, all because you wrote something stupid on the internet last December and can't admit you were wrong. 

Highlights show that we put a number of useful crosses into the box but no one gambling to get on the end of any of them. 

Definite red card in the modern game, Stelios led with the arm and had to go. To say it had no bearing on the outcome is a useless argument, the fact is he made a difficult game even harder.

jack shows great maturity when giving his analysis. He is articulate and intelligent in his appraisal, demonstrating a shared responsibility but leads by example and never shirks from the facts. What a guy. Roll on next week for what will be another difficult game.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Gutted , Dumbarton always give us problems you have to take your hat off to them total respect to them. If we are going to win the league you have to win these games that's why this result is very painful and I was not at the game 

No you don't. Both Dundee United and Dunfermline have failed to beat Dumbarton at home this season so you've just used an old cliche without actually thinking. 

2 hours ago, davidg said:

I remember a lot of games. I remember a lot of poor refereeing decisions against us. Nothing that can excuse the stupidity of Stellios yesterday. 

I was a stupid challenge that gave the referee a decision to make. 

The guy made a mistake and got his punishment  for it , l think we should leave it at that instead of continuing to beat the guy up about it , l don't think he is a bad person. .

Piss poor yesterday from start to finish, never troubled the worst keeper in the league, and Ross needs to learn that when you have to change players, you may also have to change tactics and shape.

yesterday he tried to play Stelios as a direct swap for Cammy Smith, the strength of Smith's game is his close quarters link up with Reilly, Morgan & latterly Magennis. Stelios never moved in off the wing meaning Reilly was isolated and we never built the possesion we usually do in and around opponents back line.  As much as i like Stelios i know that he is a one-trick pony who clever opponents know is easy to wind up.

he is obvious to referees because he cant be subtle at getting digs back at those who niggle him, yesterday being a classic example.

compare yesterday to Tuesday night or last week and see how much we suffered with one player out, and not adapting tactics to counter the opposition. Had we gone with Sutton up front holding it up for Reilly, Morgan etc inreckon we could have done them at their own game, instead we let them off the hook.

I think we can safely say that it was an extremely bad day at the office for both the players and the management.

And so we move on.

A lot of hard work to be done next week to ensure that we win against Brechin, potentially without Cammy Smith, and Eckersley, whilst Stelios , due to extreme stupidity on his part, will be a definite non-starter.

Piss poor yesterday from start to finish, never troubled the worst keeper in the league, and Ross needs to learn that when you have to change players, you may also have to change tactics and shape.
yesterday he tried to play Stelios as a direct swap for Cammy Smith, the strength of Smith's game is his close quarters link up with Reilly, Morgan & latterly Magennis. Stelios never moved in off the wing meaning Reilly was isolated and we never built the possesion we usually do in and around opponents back line.  As much as i like Stelios i know that he is a one-trick pony who clever opponents know is easy to wind up.
he is obvious to referees because he cant be subtle at getting digs back at those who niggle him, yesterday being a classic example.
compare yesterday to Tuesday night or last week and see how much we suffered with one player out, and not adapting tactics to counter the opposition. Had we gone with Sutton up front holding it up for Reilly, Morgan etc inreckon we could have done them at their own game, instead we let them off the hook.

I agree with most of that but I got the impression Stelios was brought in to play out wide while Morgan was getting shoehorned into the Smith role which in effect nullified Morgan's threat.

1 hour ago, Mr Optimistic said:

No you don't. Both Dundee United and Dunfermline have failed to beat Dumbarton at home this season so you've just used an old cliche without actually thinking. 

You obviously missed my compliment to Dumbarton , still stand by what I wrote if you want to win the league these are the types of games you need to win.

3 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

The guy made a mistake and got his punishment  for it , l think we should leave it at that instead of continuing to beat the guy up about it , l don't think he is a bad person. .

I don’t think he’s a bad person either, he’s my sons favourite player and has seemed really nice guy anytime I’ve spoken to him. 

I said it was a stupid challenge and IMO he deserved the red card. 

Edited by davidg

After spending 14 hours making sure  the people of Kilsyth, Kirkintilloch and more had drinking water I went straight to the stadium and watched utter p!sh!

That was as bad as Tuesday was good. I have never liked Stelios playing a straight midfield role as I believe he's good when he runs onto the ball from behind the midfield, not when waiting for it.  I didn't realise how important Cammy Smith was to our setup so let's hope JR knows how to utilise what we have better until he returns.

We were sluggish, predictable and  pedestrian. Taking 2 touches before making what turned out on many occasions, the wrong pass.  When they had the ball we stood off and let them dictate

Dumbarton, on the other hand, were in our faces and closed us down quickly.

Bad day at the office and it might be the last time we see Stelios start this season.

24 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Dumbarton have dented the title hopes of St Mirren, Dunfermline and Dundee United in recent weeks. Not a bad record for a part time team!

Recent weeks?

The did draw with Dunfermline recently but unless you count the 9th September, when they drew with Dundee United as recent, I would say they haven't.

Dumbarton have not beaten ANY of the top 5 teams, except us.

Puts your attempts, and in the Brechin thread, to cover up our very poor result into some perspective.  :byebye

3 hours ago, davidg said:

I don’t think he’s a bad person either, he’s my sons favourite player and has seemed really nice guy anytime I’ve spoken to him. 

I said it was a stupid challenge and IMO he deserved the red card. 

That was yesterday , we move on . Remember your sons hero might read the Forum

9 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Aye, coz he'll be really upset at someone saying it was a stupid challenge. :lol:

Sorry, I forgot you're a tender wee soul who would get upset at that type of comment. :1eye

Edited by faraway saint

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You obviously missed my compliment to Dumbarton , still stand by what I wrote if you want to win the league these are the types of games you need to win.

I didn't miss your compliment. So standing by what you wrote you don't think St Mirren, Dundee United or Dunfermline will win the league because they have all dropped points against Dumbarton!? Ludicrous. You will get great odds betting on the Champions not being one of these 3!!

Dumbarton have  lost 5 league games this season, only one more than us.

And Hibs won the league out the park last year..... guess who they dropped points to.:whistle

Edited by Mr Optimistic

38 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

It was yesterday, the video footage wasn’t available until today and I expressed my opinion after seeing the footage.

Poor wee Stellios, can imagine he will now hate the club and hand in a transfer request after reading online that a fan thinks his red card incident was a stupid challenge....

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Recent weeks?

The did draw with Dunfermline recently but unless you count the 9th September, when they drew with Dundee United as recent, I would say they haven't.

Dumbarton have not beaten ANY of the top 5 teams, except us.

Puts your attempts, and in the Brechin thread, to cover up our very poor result into some perspective.  :byebye

Opinions are opinions