St Mirren V Dumbarton 02/12/2017

Mr Zo

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm still trying to figure out what it means to 'invalidate' a footballer. I'm quite sure the poster is mixing a word up with another but I can't for the life of me put my finger on the word.

Unless he does mean invalidate and is disgusted at conversations like the below:

'I play professional football' 

'Naw, ye dont' 

You're not alone. :lol:

Probably the worst performance and worst game I`ve seen in a long time. Couldn't see the Stelios incident properly as I was at the other side and took my eyes off the ball but even before that, I suspected the worst as Dumbarton looked to have the measure of us from the start and deserved their victory. They are, however, not a good team to watch and would drive fans away from football. They have always been a bogey team for us, its one of those football quirks.

Main objective should still be a play off position, if unable to win the title. I think we need another forward though, as we are a bit lightweight in that department. Three points a must in the next game.

21 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Probably the worst performance and worst game I`ve seen in a long time. Couldn't see the Stelios incident properly as I was at the other side and took my eyes off the ball but even before that, I suspected the worst as Dumbarton looked to have the measure of us from the start and deserved their victory. They are, however, not a good team to watch and would drive fans away from football. They have always been a bogey team for us, its one of those football quirks.

Main objective should still be a play off position, if unable to win the title. I think we need another forward though, as we are a bit lightweight in that department. Three points a must in the next game.

Couldn't agree more.

Stewart is raw and has a lot of potential but I think a big disappointment for Jack Ross is that he doesn't seem to be stepping up to Championship level. I think JR would have let Sutton go if he could but thats not going to happen either.  Reilly for me had a strong first quarter but has shaded quite a bit since.

So yes we need to add a couple of quality players in the window, one of them definitely being a forward.

Edited by lenziebud

Poor performance, but I still think we could well have ground out a win but for the red card. Having seen the video of the incident, I didn't see it as a red card, however sill he was to jump into the guy. 

It's another reminder that there are no easy games, although anyone still citing the fact that Dumbarton are part time obviously didn't listen to Jack the other day on the subject. They were well organised and nullified us by sitting very deep and not giving us space. For our part, we didn't show enough movement and Stelios didn't work in midfield.

A final point, I know Sutton has been a great servant to the club over the years, with many important goals, but I don't get this clamour for him to be in the team and the criticism of Jack for not playing him more often on the rare occasion we aren't successful in front of goal. Sutton, for all his talents, is now nearly 34 and was never quick. We play with fast moving players up front, and if their momement wasn't quick or intelligent enough I don't see Sutton as being the answer. He is best used as he has been this season - off the bench in the last half hour as an alternative to the style which has seen us top of the league for most of the season.

Onward and upward - we need to show a reaction at Brechin and I am certain we will.

A point on Gavin Reilly, and the long balls punted up to him. I've actually been impressed by the amount of success he gets in these situations. He has great strength for a little guy, and is pretty streetwise. The amount of times he nudges the centre back as he's jumping, or backs in and keeps the ball, is impressive. Had an off day on Saturday, but has been consistent in scoring goals and giving a good account of himself, bringing others into play and generally being a real menace to central defenders. Going into Saturday's game he had 3 goals in his previous 6 league games, so he's doing very well still. 

We missed - and Reilly missed - Smith as his foil. Both work tremendously hard individually, but also link up really well. Hoping Cammy isn't out too long, but would think Reilly will be back among the goals very soon.

55 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Poor performance, but I still think we could well have ground out a win but for the red card. Having seen the video of the incident, I didn't see it as a red card, however sill he was to jump into the guy. 

It's another reminder that there are no easy games, although anyone still citing the fact that Dumbarton are part time obviously didn't listen to Jack the other day on the subject. They were well organised and nullified us by sitting very deep and not giving us space. For our part, we didn't show enough movement and Stelios didn't work in midfield.

A final point, I know Sutton has been a great servant to the club over the years, with many important goals, but I don't get this clamour for him to be in the team and the criticism of Jack for not playing him more often on the rare occasion we aren't successful in front of goal. Sutton, for all his talents, is now nearly 34 and was never quick. We play with fast moving players up front, and if their momement wasn't quick or intelligent enough I don't see Sutton as being the answer. He is best used as he has been this season - off the bench in the last half hour as an alternative to the style which has seen us top of the league for most of the season.

Onward and upward - we need to show a reaction at Brechin and I am certain we will.

I'd agree with you on Sutton. On Saturday though I thought Relly to be fair to him was hugely exposed and looked dejected at the number of aimless high balls punted to him. I felt JR told far to long to react and should have went with Sutton much earlier. I would have went with Sutton from the start on Saturday than Stelios as I still think at 34 he offers much more than Stelios. I take your point though about style of play.

I think they'll be a big reaction on Saturday but we need to sustain it

31 minutes ago, Soctty said:

A point on Gavin Reilly, and the long balls punted up to him. I've actually been impressed by the amount of success he gets in these situations. He has great strength for a little guy, and is pretty streetwise. The amount of times he nudges the centre back as he's jumping, or backs in and keeps the ball, is impressive. Had an off day on Saturday, but has been consistent in scoring goals and giving a good account of himself, bringing others into play and generally being a real menace to central defenders. Going into Saturday's game he had 3 goals in his previous 6 league games, so he's doing very well still. 

We missed - and Reilly missed - Smith as his foil. Both work tremendously hard individually, but also link up really well. Hoping Cammy isn't out too long, but would think Reilly will be back among the goals very soon.

I agree. Hugely impressed myself with how difficult he makes it for center backs. I get your point also about Smith and Relly's workrate etc etc but for me I think his performances have shaded. I didn't think he did much on Saturday was average against Livi at best. He was poor up at Tannadice also. Wasn't at Inverness. I just think he shaded a good bit from where he was over the first 9 or 10 league games. Hope you  right though and he gets back amongst goals soon. If we can add another quality forward in transfer window I think we would have a great chance.

4 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I'd agree with you on Sutton. On Saturday though I thought Relly to be fair to him was hugely exposed and looked dejected at the number of aimless high balls punted to him. I felt JR told far to long to react and should have went with Sutton much earlier. I would have went with Sutton from the start on Saturday than Stelios as I still think at 34 he offers much more than Stelios. I take your point though about style of play.

I think they'll be a big reaction on Saturday but we need to sustain it

Yeah, Reilly was isolated without Smith beside him. With hindsight Sutton would have been a better option, although I still think we'd have done better with a more mobile guy alongside Reilly. Is Hilson injured again? Thought this would've been the perfect opportunity to give him a go.

1 minute ago, lenziebud said:

I agree. Hugely impressed myself with how difficult he makes it for center backs. I get your point also about Smith and Relly's workrate etc etc but for me I think his performances have shaded. I didn't think he did much on Saturday was average against Livi at best. He was poor up at Tannadice also. Wasn't at Inverness. I just think he shaded a good bit from where he was over the first 9 or 10 league games. Hope you  right though and he gets back amongst goals soon. If we can add another quality forward in transfer window I think we would have a great chance.

Like I said, 3 in the last 7 now and regularly causing problems. He's an automatic pick for me every week. Goals will continue to come for him.

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Couldn't agree more.

Stewart is raw and has a lot of potential but I think a big disappointment for Jack Ross is that he doesn't seem to be stepping up to Championship level. I think JR would have let Sutton go if he could but thats not going to happen either.  Reilly for me had a strong first quarter but has shaded quite a bit since.

So yes we need to add a couple of quality players in the window, one of them definitely being a forward.

First Stellios was def Red card..... and didn't get why he played as basically a left wing. Morgan also had an off day as did McShane and Reilly. Could not believe we were trying to play thru them , and with Cammy injured that was the game to play a target Man in big JS ......

I will put it down to an off day , but Dumbarton certainly know how to play us 

On 3 December 2017 at 9:30 AM, Mr Optimistic said:

I didn't miss your compliment. So standing by what you wrote you don't think St Mirren, Dundee United or Dunfermline will win the league because they have all dropped points against Dumbarton!? Ludicrous. You will get great odds betting on the Champions not being one of these 3!!

Dumbarton have  lost 5 league games this season, only one more than us.

And Hibs won the league out the park last year..... guess who they dropped points to.:whistle

Lets make it more simple to read , if St Mirren FC want to win the league you have to win all your home games and a good many away games. Dumbarton are part time we should be winning such games your point on Dundee United & Dunfermline  is irrelevant have wrote many times so will write it again. It does not matter what other teams do is what we do and losing to Dumbarton was not good for a team that wants to win the league. Hope that is more clear if not I give up.

10 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Lets make it more simple to read , if St Mirren FC want to win the league you have to win all your home games and a good many away games.  Hope that is more clear if not I give up.

After only 8 home games we don’t have a side who have won all their home games. Why should we expect to have a 100% home record?

Dumbarton actually have a good away record, winning more points on their travels than Dunfermline losing only 2 out of 8 games.

We were poor but maybe we should start giving Dumbarton a wee bit of credit that the thoroughly deserve. 

Edited by davidg

I fail to see a reason to be arguing between ourselves post this game. Dumbarton were better on the day.

They have also taken points off our main current rivals at the top end of the table this season. 

Let 's give then credit. Let our players give themselves a shake and let's move on.

Surely it is time to do that at least?

14 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I fail to see a reason to be arguing between ourselves post this game. Dumbarton were better on the day.

They have also taken points off our main current rivals at the top end of the table this season. 

Let 's give then credit. Let our players give themselves a shake and let's move on.

Surely it is time to do that at least?

Aye, move on, no more talking about the latest St Mirren game.  :lol:

Shut the forum door on yer way out. :byebye

13 hours ago, davidg said:

After only 8 home games we don’t have a side who have won all their home games. Why should we expect to have a 100% home record?

Dumbarton actually have a good away record, winning more points on their travels than Dunfermline losing only 2 out of 8 games.

We were poor but maybe we should start giving Dumbarton a wee bit of credit that the thoroughly deserve. 

Have given Dumbarton credit David they are having a fantastic time in their history not taking anything away from them. Like many I was hurt by that result for me it is one we should be looking to win if we played to our potential we would have won. At least we are still in the pack so lets get on with the job in hand by winning games. 

17 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Lets make it more simple to read , if St Mirren FC want to win the league you have to win all your home games and a good many away games. 

Not at all true in terms of the home games. I've seen us win the division twice. Neither time did we have close to a perfect home record. Indeed in 1999/2000, we lost 3 games at home including only taking 2 points from 4 matches against recently promoted Livingston and midtable Ayr Utd. 

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not at all true in terms of the home games. I've seen us win the division twice. Neither time did we have close to a perfect home record. Indeed in 1999/2000, we lost 3 games at home including only taking 2 points from 4 matches against recently promoted Livingston and midtable Ayr Utd.

Absolutely correct and to win the title you need to amass more points than the other teams in the division, whether you gather those points at home or away makes no difference. All that matters is that we have more points or a better GD if level than the 2nd placed team come the ned of the season. Saturday was a hick-up and going by our reaction to previous defeats we should be able to shrug it off. If you are going to lose any game better that it's against a team not directly challenging you too.

You would think we had wound the clock back a full year judging by some of the reactions on here.

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Absolutely correct and to win the title you need to amass more points than the other teams in the division, whether you gather those points at home or away makes no difference. All that matters is that we have more points or a better GD if level than the 2nd placed team come the ned of the season. Saturday was a hick-up and going by our reaction to previous defeats we should be able to shrug it off. If you are going to lose any game better that it's against a team not directly challenging you too.

You would think we had wound the clock back a full year judging by some of the reactions on here.

Spot on and can I ask did you go to the game on Saturday expecting to see a win or did you go in the hope we did win. If we did win that game where in the league would be today. Can't understand why I am getting shoot down because I expected us to beat Dumbarton. Another point that bothers me is every so often we play bad , not unlucky but bad , Greenock , Dunfermline , Paisley on Saturday I can take defeat if we play well and lost to the better team but to go out and not try has happened quite a few times this season. 

22 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Lets make it more simple to read , if St Mirren FC want to win the league you have to win all your home games and a good many away games. Dumbarton are part time we should be winning such games your point on Dundee United & Dunfermline  is irrelevant have wrote many times so will write it again. It does not matter what other teams do is what we do and losing to Dumbarton was not good for a team that wants to win the league. Hope that is more clear if not I give up.

So we have gone from having to beat Dumbarton to win the league to having to win ALL your home games. :D Why do you keep digging a bigger hole for yourself? Hibs won the league last season easily and dropped points at home to both teams that were relegated!

The notion that a team like St Mirren are going to be on the money every week is absurd. Even the very best teams have off days. Our record against Dumbarton is terrible so I doubt if many went to the game  expecting us to win easily.

This team will be there or there abouts come the end of the season. When you consider where we were this time last year it's nothing short of remarkable. Some people have short memories and unrealistic expectations.

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Spot on and can I ask did you go to the game on Saturday expecting to see a win or did you go in the hope we did win. If we did win that game where in the league would be today. Can't understand why I am getting shoot down because I expected us to beat Dumbarton. Another point that bothers me is every so often we play bad , not unlucky but bad , Greenock , Dunfermline , Paisley on Saturday I can take defeat if we play well and lost to the better team but to go out and not try has happened quite a few times this season. 

In nigh on 40 years of watching Saints I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have seen us beat Dumbarton. They are a real bogey team and I am never that confident against them. I was hopeful and certainly didn't just expect us to win. We were poor but to say we didn't try is harsh. It's a completely different league from the Hendrie and Macpherson title winning seasons where we went top early and bar an odd week stayed there. It's going to be ups and downs in a very competitive division. Fans seem to be expecting / waiting on some sort of juggernaut run where we blow the division apart. We are not good enough or the rest poor enough for that to happen, the winner is going to have to grind it out and I think that will be reflected in the final winning points total.