Brechin v St Mirren (9th December)

That was definitely a case of grinding out a result yesterday, I  thought we looked lethargic and our play was far too slow and predictable. No excuses about the pitch, same for both teams. I thought it was a very soft penalty awarded to us, but i'll take it. These are the games that can make a difference at the end of the season....in the previous few campaign we'd have lost that game. As others have said if we can beat Dunfermline next week we should be set up nicely for when Dundee Utd come to us.

We have Qots to play before United. Let's concentrate on 1 game at a time especially as Qots are a bit of a hit and a miss this season playing really good one week then terrible the next.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

We have Qots to play before United. Let's concentrate on 1 game at a time especially as Qots are a bit of a hit and a miss this season playing really good one week then terrible the next.

QOS are 2nd in the form league (Last 6 games) and are the best away team in the league.

More hit than miss I would suggest. 

IF they managed to beat us they would be only 3 points behind us. 

Found this site the other day, pretty good.............. https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/scottish-championship/2017-18/

Edited by faraway saint

QOS are 2nd in the form league (Last 6 games) and are the best away team in the league.
More hit than miss I would suggest. 
IF they managed to beat us they would be only 3 points behind us. 
Found this site the other day, pretty good.............. https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/scottish-championship/2017-18/

Didn't realise they had such a good away record. Knew before Saturday they hadn't won for 3 matches well according to BBC they hadn't. Read most championship match reports each week and knew they apparently were poor v Livingston then put 5 past Dunfermline. On another note looked at Dunfermline results last night after beating us in September they beat Brechin the week after but have only won one game since.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Didn't realise they had such a good away record. Knew before Saturday they hadn't won for 3 matches well according to BBC they hadn't. Read most championship match reports each week and knew they apparently were poor v Livingston then put 5 past Dunfermline. On another note looked at Dunfermline results last night after beating us in September they beat Brechin the week after but have only won one game since.

I think the facts would surprise quite a few about QOS.

Dark horses and dangerous away from home only having lost 2 from 9. 

Hadn't really paid too much attention to the league table until recently and noticed Qots and Morton sneaking up the league on the quiet. Had a look at the link you sent the stats are quite interesting both at top and bottom of the league. About 6 weeks ago I said St Mirren,Dundee united and Dunfermline would spend the rest of the season occupying the top 3 places with each having different weeks on top. Now Dunfermline might not even make top 4. Crazy few weeks it's been only another 20 crazy weeks to go.

As has often been the case in recent years, the Championship is the most interesting league in the SPFL. Yes, one big team (Rangers, Hearts, Hibs) has raced away at the top, but below them things have been quite tight.

This season Dundee United should pull away, given their resources. The playoff places look like being between Buddies, Dunfermline, Queen of the South,  Livingston and Morton. Five teams but only three places available, so things will heat up in the last couple of months of the season.

I fear slightly for our team. We have players who are good on the ball (Morgan, Cammy Smith, Magennis, McGinn) but they are quite slightly built and are too easily pushed off the ball.  See how we struggled against Dumbarton who had big defenders against our lads, and Morgan in particular is increasingly coming in for rough treatment from other teams.

Don't know if finances will stretch to it, but we could do with a tough midfielder who can break up play and support our ball players. Also, Jack seems to have decided what his best team is but he needs to play these guys every week and doesn't have the same quality in the squad to back them up, so I fear we may suffer if one or two of our regulars get injured.

Despite all of the above........COYS!!

Edited by pondsman

55 minutes ago, pondsman said:

As has often been the case in recent years, the Championship is the most interesting league in the SPFL. Yes, one big team (Rangers, Hearts, Hibs) has raced away at the top, but below them things have been quite tight.

This season Dundee United should pull away, given their resources. The playoff places look like being between Buddies, Dunfermline, Queen of the South,  Livingston and Morton. Five teams but only three places available, so things will heat up in the last couple of months of the season.

I fear slightly for our team. We have players who are good on the ball (Morgan, Cammy Smith, Magennis, McGinn) but they are quite slightly built and are too easily pushed off the ball.  See how we struggled against Dumbarton who had big defenders against our lads, and Morgan in particular is increasingly coming in for rough treatment from other teams.

Don't know if finances will stretch to it, but we could do with a tough midfielder who can break up play and support our ball players. Also, Jack seems to have decided what his best team is but he needs to play these guys every week and doesn't have the same quality in the squad to back them up, so I fear we may suffer if one or two of our regulars get injured.

Despite all of the above........COYS!!

Form book goes out the window in this league and an ugly win is exactly what we needed as it followed on from an extreme ugly defeat.... Playing on a bumpy narrow pitch Sat , freezing cold shapes character and confidence..

..... So why should Dundee Utd pull away exactly ? They have hardly been blowing teams away, they are favs but teams you mentioned, including Caley are all in this..... Morton last year went on a fantastic run  , right up to 2nd...... its cold and its just about winning....... Brechin is the banker and we have beat them 4-2 over 2 games, its 6-2 Livi and Caley but most importantly its 6 wins. We thrashed United last time at 2021, and we could not finish up there..................

So this all comes down to momentum and match to match.............. We play Pars next and could move 12 points clear of them, we play QOS, United and Morton and we play better against teams we don't need to play thru................ so I am confident we can get some points. This isn't the Celticship , any team can put together a run, even Falkirk at some point have to start playing .

This is the most wins we have had at this stage since 1999, we have Reilly on 17 goals. Morgan, one of the most talented young players in the Scottish game, Davis back and Mackenzie nearly back......

We win the next 4 games we are not up, also we lose them we are not of it , but we are in a great position that most of us, being honest, didn't truly believe we were capable of