Dunfermline v Saints. (Friday 26/01/18)?

Geordie Saint

17 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:
18 hours ago, DougJamie said:
TBF, they don't have anywhere near the quality of strikers Dons have.  Agree  that when teams push at us we struggle....... and also need Ecks back

They beat by 3 goal as did Aberdeen. Eckersley played and was sent off. so what you said makes the last result v The Pars worse.

We are a better team since that defeat, so whats your point!!....... Look at League table.... and Dons are better than Pars but we still gifted them at least  2 goals........ so we need Ecks back, unless you think Stellios should retain his place?

25 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

We are a better team since that defeat, so whats your point!!....... Look at League table.... and Dons are better than Pars but we still gifted them at least  2 goals........ so we need Ecks back, unless you think Stellios should retain his place?

There's always been a trade off in qualities between Eckersley & Stelios.

I expect Eckersley to be back in the starting 11 for Friday's game and Stelios to do some more work on improving his defending.

Longer term I'd probably be keener to keep Stelios as he is younger and less injury prone.

Oh and as ever - COYS!

Edited by Bud the Baker

27 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Thought we played quite well in the first half 2 errors was our only down fall. To go in at half time 3-1 down must have had a big effect on the team game lost. Second half was damage limitation in my opinion. To be honest I was hoping we were going to play high tempo from the word go unfortunately that did not happen. Let' see what Friday brings the players clearly will need lifted off the floor. 

I think (with the benefit of hindsight) the tactics were wrong, and i think Ross has conceded as much. We started trying to play our normal open football, but a better, stronger more skilful side revelled in the space and time we left them. (Think how often we believe we are slow/over indulgent in buld up play this season). To have played Hill in beside McGinn, dropped McShane & C. Smith. Played Flyn behind Reilly in centre mid with the job of getting up in support anytime needed would have perhaps kept us level well into the game.

we gave a good side the options they wanted, unlike at Parkhead last season where we closed those options down and sat in a lot more. In short... too adventurous a formation, and tactics with our squad v their squad. Lesson learned hopefully. I think the players will lift themselves for Friday, they will have thebsingular focus now of taking each game one at time, playing to win until we are over the line.

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

There's always been a trade off in qualities between Eckersley's & Stelios.

I expect Eckersley to be back in the starting 11 for Friday's game and Stelios to do some more work on improving his defending.

Longer term I'd probably be keener to keep Stelios as he is younger and less injury prone.

Possibly our biggest game of the season on Friday..?

win and perhaps we are double figures ahead of our nearest rival on Saturday night..! Meaning they would need realistically FIVE positive results, and us to have Five negative results for them to overtake us in an ever decreasing number of games. Highly unlikely.

in that scenario would you really take a big  gamble starting a full back, returning from injury who isnt match fit yet..? 

I dont think Ross will, would be very surprised if he did.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Possibly our biggest game of the season on Friday..?

win and perhaps we are double figures ahead of our nearest rival on Saturday night..! Meaning they would need realistically FIVE positive results, and us to have Five negative results for them to overtake us in an ever decreasing number of games. Highly unlikely.

in that scenario would you really take a big  gamble starting a full back, returning from injury who isnt match fit yet..? 

I dont think Ross will, would be very surprised if he did.

Friday is just one of the 14 remaining games this season, unless we end up in a play off spot.

As for Eckersley he was fit enough for the bench on Saturday, match fitness is always one of those dilemmas - how do you get it without playing?

Stelios had dibs on the starting place but it's universally agreed he had a bad game on Saturday - away to the team in third place who gave us a doing the last time we went there I expect us to go with the more solid defender.

47 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

There's always been a trade off in qualities between Eckersley & Stelios.

Oh and as ever - COYS!

I agree mate

Stellios for me is not right back, as he really cant defend, but he can attack. His two goals v Hibs last season where massive for us..........

Jack did call him a Maverick - Obviously Maverick is not a No2

33 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I agree mate

Stellios for me is not right back, as he really cant defend, but he can attack. His two goals v Hibs last season where massive for us..........

Jack did call him a Maverick - Obviously Maverick is not a No2

I'm not sure if I would go as far as saying "he really can't defend" but it's definitely the weak spot in his game (reminds me a little of DVZ in that aspect) unfortunately on our budget we can't afford flawless players.

5 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'm not sure if I would go as far as saying "he really can't defend" but it's definitely the weak spot in his game (reminds me a little of DVZ in that aspect) unfortunately on our budget we can't afford flawless players.

True, but we can have players that know their role and aren't Mavericks 5 yards from our own goal line. That's Schoolboy

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Friday is just one of the 14 remaining games this season, unless we end up in a play off spot.

As for Eckersley he was fit enough for the bench on Saturday, match fitness is always one of those dilemmas - how do you get it without playing?

Stelios had dibs on the starting place but it's universally agreed he had a bad game on Saturday - away to the team in third place who gave us a doing the last time we went there I expect us to go with the more solid defender.

If Ross didnt rate Stelios how come Eck's ass never left the bench on Saturday?

i expect Ross to start Stelios, and Eckersley might come on for an injury, rejig, or tactically to help see game out. i predict a BIG Stelios performance on Friday cementing his cult status..! 

I'm pretty sure Stelios will be on the bench on Friday , in the previous fixture at East End Park he had a 'mare of a first  half , giving the ball away resulting in the first goal , and , like last Saturday , he was all over the place after that. He was replaced at half time. I think there maybe another midfield change on Friday , with either Flynn or Hill starting !

41 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

i expect Ross to start Stelios, and Eckersley might come on for an injury, rejig, or tactically to help see game out. i predict a BIG Stelios performance on Friday cementing his cult status..! 

Already dealt with that point, as I said in my previous post Stelios had dibs on the position prior to the Aberdeen game, once we were chasing the game it probably made as much sense to keep Stelios on. Friday night is a fresh game and we obviously differ on who should start at RB - as prog rockers Asia said...................

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Stellios certainly has his plus points going forward, but he is totally naïve at back. His display against Dons just highlighted that in the run in, Jack might need a Plan B.

Look, we are in great form, we are winning nice and ugly, and lets not forget Pars got beat by Ton who had 5 players out thru injury. so they are hardly in great shape. They also couldn't beat United, who lets face it, are in freefall.  And are totally shit

So we win, Ton win, get the 2018-2019 Champions T Shirts ordered..............

And I predicted that Leicester would win the League a few years back ( Admittingly after 34 games :whistle  )

Mshield_55x58.png 

McAfee WebAdvisor

exclamation_mark_10x35.png 

Warning: Trouble ahead

Whoa!

Are you sure you want to go there?

https://www.dafc.co.uk/news.php?c&#… may be risky to visit.

Why are you seeing this?

When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors.

Went to log into the Dunfermilne website to see what was happening and my virus protection went loopy.
Feck I hope McAFee isn't some kind of fortune teller. They are probably Dung- fermilne fans. "Trouble ahead-Whoa- may be risky to visit- are you sure you want to go there?"   who are they kidding
Too right we do and we're going to pump them. Come on ye Saints.
I wonder what risky behaviours they get up to on the Dunfemilne news page.
All pish about Dunfermilne website aside,  I have a bigger Dilemma than Ross with his Eckersley/Stelios choice. I'm sure which ever one plays is up to the task.
For me the big decision is train or car.  "To Drink or not to drink" that is the question.  If we go down the drinking route things are very tight.  2308 arrival in Edinburgh Last train to North Berwick 2313.  Only 5 mins to play with. Any delay in the Dunfermilne train and I'm walking home. Friday night games are not good for away fans. The logical decision would be stay at home and watch it in the pub.
Aye right. I'll be part of the 600, 700 or 1800 singing  "Super Stelios"  with a 30 or 40 minute rendition of "Cammy Cammy" thrown in for good measure,
We don't get the chance to win leagues too often. Count me in. I'm not missing any of it.

Stelios had a couple of bad mistakes at Pittodrie (but he was instrumental in our goal), however he has been excellent in League games over the last month. I think it would shatter his confidence to be dropped on Fri. Glad it is Jack's decision and not mine.

10 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Stelios had a couple of bad mistakes at Pittodrie (but he was instrumental in our goal), however he has been excellent in League games over the last month. I think it would shatter his confidence to be dropped on Fri. Glad it is Jack's decision and not mine.

He got sent off v Sons and it was stupid and needless, cost us 3 points....... Sorry he is a sub at best for me as an impact player

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

He got sent off v Sons and it was stupid and needless, cost us 3 points....... Sorry he is a sub at best for me as an impact player

Eckersley got sent off for an even stoopiter incident last time at east end park. 

So who do you play?

the guy coming back from injury and not match fit?

or the guy who has turned a number of good performances, had a mare on Saturday, but is fit, troubles the opposition and in form otherwise ?

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Eckersley got sent off for an even stoopiter incident last time at east end park. 

So who do you play?

the guy coming back from injury and not match fit?

or the guy who has turned a number of good performances, had a mare on Saturday, but is fit, troubles the opposition and in form otherwise ?

Aye who would be a manager - whatever one Jack picks better have a decent game or Jack will bear much of the blame from some fans....

This week in training will decide - either of them not fully fit? Who looks sharpest and hungriest? - either way both are capable of playing well...

Eckersley played in both previous matches with them this season - the last time we won 1 v 0