St Mirren V Dunfermline 16 December

St.Ricky

Great result today. I think we are nearly there as a team who can go on and win this league now, but January is going to be big for us. We need two or three players to really bring the squad up to the level it needs to be to really take it on and get it won. We've now got at least five players in Samson, Eckersley, McGinn, Morgan and Smith who are better in their position than anyone else in the league, and we have Jack Ross of course, who is a fantastic manager at this level. I reckon we are a winger, a midfield ball winner and  probably another good striker away from a league winning side, and I reckon with a manager of the quality of Ross we can get them.

11 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Commentators on SMTV are hilarious. 

Going on about how the Pars keeper shouldn’t have been booked in the first half and that it wasn’t a foul, because he got his hand to the ball. Aye!! Outside the box ya dafties.

The commentary was cringeworthy yesterday (camerawork not much better).  Best I can say is they made the ref look good at least, those two nuggets couldn't get anything right even sat in front of a TV and watching replays.

Worst part is when they started going on about "imagine this penalty happened at Rangers or Celtic, imagine how it would be spoken about in an important match" - I don't know who is running the course at UWS but they would do well to advise them to consider their paying customers (St Mirren fans) and things not to say to an audience made up of St Mirren fans (St Mirren are not as important as Rangers or Celtic).

Two minutes later: "mind you this IS an important match for these clubs"...."Aye, Aye so it is...."

8 hours ago, shull said:

TEN POUNDS OR LESS ADMISSION FEE AND WE MAY GET BETWEEN 4000 and 6000 MOST HOME MATCHES.

BUT NOT AT TWENTY FECKING POUNDS.

Unfortunately it would also cut our revenue to the stage where we'd be out of business in a year.

You'd need to guarantee around 7000 people at every home game to offset halving prices, which definitely won't happen. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Unfortunately it would also cut our revenue to the stage where we'd be out of business in a year.

You'd need to guarantee around 7000 people at every home game to offset halving prices, which definitely won't happen. 

Been pointed out before, next line is something along the lines of we cut our cloth etc. :rolleyes:

That was a hard fought game against a phisical team. Met Billyg at halftime got onto a converstation about a holding midfield player in the mould of Murray , Goodwin type player. The second half proved that is exactly what  we need we were getting over run time and time again was really frustrated with high balls getting pumped up to Gavin who is not a tall lad but is not scared to wrestle defenders but tall defenders are going to win the ball 90% of the time. Sitting in my seat was thinking they are going to get a goal here. Don't want to be too critical because the team worked hard in the second half just that it was too defensive.

Met a first-aider on the train home who was stationed in the north corner of the stadium he told me it was a penalty as it was two footed with studs showing could not tell from where I was sitting but admit to being seriously worried. Anyway happy day's three points and top of the league job done. Next weeks game is a hard one but if we win that it will be a big step forward COYS !

Smith rightly got man of the match.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

That was a hard fought game against a phisical team. Met Billyg at halftime got onto a converstation about a holding midfield player in the mould of Murray , Goodwin type player. The second half proved that is exactly what  we need we were getting over run time and time again was really frustrated with high balls getting pumped up to Gavin who is not a tall lad but is not scared to wrestle defenders but tall defenders are going to win the ball 90% of the time. Sitting in my seat was thinking they are going to get a goal here. Don't want to be too critical because the team worked hard in the second half just that it was too defensive.

Met a first-aider on the train home who was stationed in the north corner of the stadium he told me it was a penalty as it was two footed with studs showing could not tell from where I was sitting but admit to being seriously worried. Anyway happy day's three points and top of the league job done. Next weeks game is a hard one but if we win that it will be a big step forward COYS !

Not according to the boy who was ment to have been brought down. 

Seems that Jack is on the look out for a midfielder to boost the squad in January. Think we are only a couple of players away from having a right good go for the title.  

Players are working their butts off for each other which is good to see. The game yesterday was one we were losing on a regular basis 18 months ago. Well done Saints, let's keep it going 

Commentators on SMTV are hilarious. 
Going on about how the Pars keeper shouldn’t have been booked in the first half and that it wasn’t a foul, because he got his hand to the ball. Aye!! Outside the box ya dafties.
i wouldn’t say it was a game if 2 halves. I thought we were brilliant first half and I think we also started the second half well. It was when we visibly started to sit back that it started to go wrong. Up until then I thought McGinn had been brilliant.
Thought Magennis was poor today though. 
Morgan was unplayable in the first half, but his end product seems to have deserted him recently. 

I thought Kyle was looking more like his old self yesterday. His play in the lead up to the goal was brilliant.

Grateful for another three points and a win gained the hard way. First half we mainly controlled things, second half we clung on against a team with a dismal recent run of form. We struggled to get out our on half, and when we did it was usually a long shelling clearance that Dunfermline ran straight back at us with.

surely everyone who has commented on how lacking in strength we are in midfield witnessed yet another anonymous performance by McShane..? Save for the couple of free kicks he managed to almost pass to the opposition, he was AWOL again for ninety minutes. I hope Ross has got a decent midfielder lined up for January, otherwise these results we are grinding out will quickly be reversed.

we are "Top Of The League.... and the're no!"

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

All the Pars fans on P&B saying it was a dive, so I think I will take their opinion over the first-aider. Your right about how we need an other Goodwin or Murray in the team.

9 hours ago, norman said:

Great result today. I think we are nearly there as a team who can go on and win this league now, but January is going to be big for us. We need two or three players to really bring the squad up to the level it needs to be to really take it on and get it won. We've now got at least five players in Samson, Eckersley, McGinn, Morgan and Smith who are better in their position than anyone else in the league, and we have Jack Ross of course, who is a fantastic manager at this level. I reckon we are a winger, a midfield ball winner and  probably another good striker away from a league winning side, and I reckon with a manager of the quality of Ross we can get them.

No mention of Harry Davis , the best player in the division , and the reason we're conceding less goals now ?

It's all about winning games and getting out of this league.

I felt we were the better team in the first with Morgan really in the mood. Can't believe Reilly missed with the lob and thought their keeper was lucky to stay on when he took out Reilly. I assume the centre half and covered round behind the goalkeeper and the referee possibly felt he could have prevented a goal but would have to see again.

We just didn't play in the second half after a bright first 5-10 minutes. Their penalty didn't look like a penalty and think referee eventually got it right.

One of my bug bears this season is the slightly disappointing crowds at St Mirren Park. Only 3,600 yesterday with a very poor 350 from Dunfermline. There were 5,700 at East End Park back in September. Falkirk and Dunfermline are regularly getting bigger crowd than us this season especially with Falkirk being so bad.

This could be a title winning season and would really hope to see over 4,000 in the home end for each game. I have a feeling we will only get really big crowds in the last 2 or 3 home games of the season. I have no real idea how they get the crowds up but possibly drop prices for Inverness game to say £5 for adults as a thank you to the support and get people back in through the door. There is a possibility we could be heading into January 6 or 7 points ahead of United if results go our way. This could be a memorable season you want to tap into the feel good factor and get St Mirren Park as full as possible.

Alternatively something like season ticket holders can bring a friend for a tenner or something with kids going free.

This is a good time to be a buddie.

My son was at the panda club for the first time and absolutely loved it. Would recommend it to anyone with a youngster.

Top of the league without really playing to our best so what is not to like. This team will get better and we will strengthen in January so all positive stuff fellow buds.

My MOM was big Jack Baird. He was immense again. A real unsung hero within that side and has been our best defender by far this season. Keep up the good work Bairdy!

5 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

I didn't think he had the best of games yesterday but you're right about conceding goals

Bringing the best out of Baird it seems and Eckersley

If you watch him when we're under pressure he's constantly talking to big Baird  , which has made the big man a better defender. Felt before that the likes of Baird and eg Buchanan had no understanding .

To give an example , I don't think we would have conceded either of the goals v Morton recently if Davis had been playing , I know the first one was a screamer but it was bad defending that caused it in the lead up to it !

Edited by billyg

1 minute ago, Mr Zo said:

It's all about winning games and getting out of this league.

I felt we were the better team in the first with Morgan really in the mood. Can't believe Reilly missed with the lob and thought their keeper was lucky to stay on when he took out Reilly. I assume the centre half and covered round behind the goalkeeper and the referee possibly felt he could have prevented a goal but would have to see again.

We just didn't play in the second half after a bright first 5-10 minutes. There penalty didn't look like a penalty and think referee eventually got it right.

One of my bug bears this season is the slightly disappointing crowds at St Mirren Park. Only 3,600 yesterday with a very poor 350 from Dunfermline. There were 5,700 at East End Park back in September. Falkirk and Dunfermline are regularly getting bigger crowd than us this season especially with Falkirk being so bad.

This could be a title winning season and would really hope to see over 4,000 in the home end for each game. I have a feeling we will only get really big crowds in the last 2 or 3 home games of the season. I have no real idea how they get the crowds up but possibly drop prices for Inverness game to say £5 for adults as a thank you to the support and get people back in through the door. There is a possibility we could be heading into January 6 or 7 points ahead of United if results go our way. This could be a memorable season you want to tap into the feel good factor and get St Mirren Park as full as possible.

Alternatively something like season ticket holders can bring a friend for a tenner or something with kids going free.

This is a good time to be a buddie.

My son was at the panda club for the first time and absolutely loved. Would recommend it to anyone with a youngster.

Top of the league without really playing to our best so what is not to like. This team will get better and we will strengthen in January so all positive stuff fellow buds.

On the crowds front it was fecking freezing yesterday and the thought of sitting on a cold seat for nearly 2 hours would have put people off

A lot left early yesterday saying no more too cold

The Panda Club is really excellent value but doesn't get the numbers it should

My weans loved it but now too old and don't go anymore to the games i'm afraid

2 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

On the crowds front it was fecking freezing yesterday and the thought of sitting on a cold seat for nearly 2 hours would have put people off

A lot left early yesterday saying no more too cold

The Panda Club is really excellent value but doesn't get the numbers it should

My weans loved it but now too old and don't go anymore to the games i'm afraid

Interesting point.

I'm sure lots of "kids" grow out of the Panda Club as it stands, maybe some intermediate Club could be formed to attract/keep the older kids?