St Mirren V Dunfermline 16 December

St.Ricky

I noticed on Saturday that a couple of the children nearby were starting to turn grey in the last half hour of the match. Seems quite a while since we were able to breathe freely during a game, such is the competitive nature of the championship this season. Ive said before that any of the first four places would be acceptable and we seem well on course for that. I also was informed that Morgan was to be transferred in January, although likely to remain till the end of the season. This appeared to be common knowledge , with perhaps a Celtic player coming to us. As far as I can remember, the last good player we received from them was Willie Fernie.

We need another forward in my opinion, but it was heartening to see big Gary McKenzie warming up during the game. He is very much missed, as is his goal threat.

Read a few comments ref crowd size on Saturday, totally pathetic turnout by Dunfermline fans when you consider we had 1200 at their ground. But Not surprised, and think the gate on Saturday was decent given that fixture date (last saturday before Christmas when works parties/shopping etc is high) is known as the 'Graveyard' day for ticket sales.

there are just too many other things to draw people to on that weekend, that said you can usually bank on a holiday/family/visitors/nostaglia/boredom bonanza as soon as everyone is clocked off work for Christmas & New Year. We have always had great turnouts during the holidays, but I think the Friday night fixture against Dun Utd is a challenge to that trend!

it falls on a day/night when people are generally in transit/preparing for Hogmanay, whereas an early/regular/evening kick off the next day would be stowed. You can generally see a 25-50% increase on an average gate at this time of year, but even with the added spice of a top of the table clash i fear the away and home support will not see as big a boost as usual? And with it being live on BT which most pubs are willing to pay for as its way cheaper than Sky, makes it a hard sell. Add to that any possible weather issues.

I think Morton are going to see a much greater attendance boost benefit than us on the 2nd (weather permitting), which is a shame as the extra cash will only be spent on Lanliq and Belair.