Stand Still When Snowing

Isle Of Bute Saint

It amazes me when snow falls in this country how things come to a stand still yet in mainland Europe does not shut down. In Norway they use a wet salt  solution that melts the snow keeping roads open trains also keep running as they have snow mover built into the front of the train. As always the case in the uk we use the cheapest option which is not up to the job.

beggars belief is, the snow has been forecast for how many days? In East London we knew it was coming for 3 or 4 days.

The other day, I seen gritters out on the streets but none were gritting, today, I drove down the A12, not a hint of grit on roads. Useless  of shite. Many  folk down here become incapable when it snows.

I worked in Southern Italy 30 years ago where they get snow every 50 years or so. Snowed every night for a week when I was there and every taxi, bus, ambulance, police car and fire engine had snow chains. Once every 50 years and they were ready, every year here and it still comes as a surprise.

2 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

The continentals gear up for it every year , they all switch over to snaw tyres as far as l know  , otherwise rear-wheel drive cars would be fairly useless . Most winters we get away with it . .however

Winter tyres and snow chains are compulsory in a lot of European countries under wintery conditions.

They're not many here who will fork out for a second set of tyres.  

Have driven to and from Scotland from the north east of England for around 30 years (including the 'treacherous conditions' that Dickson berated us about) and have never needed snow tyres, the only time I have been stuck was when I was the first person on to our estate after a heavy snowfall but I managed to struggle the 150 yards home on foot. Bad driving is the main reason we are brought to a standstill although I agree the authorities could do more to minimise the effects, England is much worse at this than Scotland in my experience.

30 miles north and St Albans microclimate holding up 25 degrees C and sun out.  Not sure what's wrong with East London. [emoji38]

As the OP said, place has come to a standstill.
Was meant to be meeting a few folk in a pub 3 miles away. 1 chap "won't risk it"
& another fella I know (from Dagenham) won't venture into Romford, 2 miles away because the roads aint gritted.
Absolute crock of shite.

31 minutes ago, Graeme Aitken said:

As the OP said, place has come to a standstill.
Was meant to be meeting a few folk in a pub 3 miles away. 1 chap "won't risk it"
& another fella I know (from Dagenham) won't venture into Romford, 2 miles away because the roads aint gritted.
Absolute crock of shite.

On the other hand saved you buying a round. :rolleyes:

Guest TPAFKATS
Winter tyres and snow chains are compulsory in a lot of European countries under wintery conditions.
They're not many here who will fork out for a second set of tyres.  

I'm sure winter tyres only perform better in temperatures belong 5 or 7C.
I think that's why we don't go in for them much in most of this country - last week they wouldn't have been any good, this week they would've. Next week?

We have a population of drivers who generally don't know how to drive in good weather. They routinely see speed limits as a target and not a guide and barely any of them understand what an appropriate braking distance is.

Given this knowledge I am astonished that anyone would question why things grind to a halt in bad weather.

It's fairly obvious I would have thought. :lol:

The sooner we get self-driving cars and ban humans from driving, the better.

Been to Norway and a few motorways around Lillehamer and Oslo have snow gates to close the roads if the snow gets too much, which are 10ft high, so far as they seem more prepared,these gates haven't been used yet. Most roads are clear or passible, trains run on time, most flights operate and runways are cleared and the tend to salt a lot of pavements too, something that rarely happens here.

Guest TPAFKATS
Been to Norway and a few motorways around Lillehamer and Oslo have snow gates to close the roads if the snow gets too much, which are 10ft high, so far as they seem more prepared,these gates haven't been used yet. Most roads are clear or passible, trains run on time, most flights operate and runways are cleared and the tend to salt a lot of pavements too, something that rarely happens here.
Do you know if the cooncil or equivalent does the pavement or is it the responsibility of the home owner to keep the pavement outside their property clear as it is in Germany?

Guest TPAFKATS

Been some snow in South East England today. Top story on the news at ten with a guy on a flyover above a motorway in North London telling us how bad it is. Motorway below has no snow or ice.

On 19/12/2017 at 5:28 PM, stlucifer said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FFS! Give it a rest ya auld fart!

Away and stuff your face with mince pies. See if that makes you smile you miserable c**t.

You see, I could spend my days posting personal abuse like you but it seems a pretty hollow way to live.

Edited by oaksoft

8 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
On 24/12/2017 at 5:38 PM, Deekthebuddie said:

Do you know if the cooncil or equivalent does the pavement or is it the responsibility of the home owner to keep the pavement outside their property clear as it is in Germany?

Does this question even need asking?

Common sense dictates that if people want clear paths we should clear them ourselves instead of whining about the government not doing it. Maybe the council should put a wee sign up against the grit buckets saying  "This is for you to help yourself. WTF are you waiting for ya bunch of useless needy dependent entitled nuggets".

The Germans need to be told everything and seem happy issuing orders over every single thing. Horrible way to live.

Guest TPAFKATS
Does this question even need asking?
Common sense dictates that if people want clear paths we should clear them ourselves instead of whining about the government not doing it. Maybe the council should put a wee sign up against the grit buckets saying  "This is for you to help yourself. WTF are you waiting for ya bunch of useless needy dependent entitled nuggets".
The Germans need to be told everything and seem happy issuing orders over every single thing. Horrible way to live.
Merry Christmas, one and all...