The Perfect Goal?

Watching from behind Brechin's goal for the first half on Saturday i am sure there must be a fair few fellow buds left scratching their collective heads at how few actual attempts we made on goal considering the amount of possesion we had up to and around their box. Watching decent players continually shifting the ball from flank to flank until invariably someone concedes possesion and we are running backwards back fending off a breakaway attempt.

a simple question, why is no one seemingly taking responsibility to either shoot, or play an inside pass to someone else to turn and shoot from? It looks like our middle and front line only want to score the 'Perfect Goal' straight out of the UEFA coaching manual. Surely Ross has to look at that and insist his players dont try it the hard way on every occasion? 

I love seeing players hitting the goaline and screaming in a bullet cut back for someone to get on the end of, but if you rely solely on that tactic you make it easy for the opposition to frustrate you, like Saturday. If ever the pitch and conditions dictated 'shoot on sight' that was the day. Brechin were for the most part pretty turgid, frustrating and lacking ideas, but with us committing so many players forward to play a flat version of pass the parcel across the front of their box we left ourselves wide open to quick... no, they weren't  even quick! Just counter attacks. Why werent we sliding it into dangerous areas for a quick turn and shoot..? One of Reilly specialities.

the other frustrating tactic on Saturday and recent games is the seemingly more frequently used tactic of letting Samson shell it forward in a 'hit & hope' style that again makes it easy for decent defenders to nullify. Our midfield is constantly by passed, or cant be played through as too many of them are in a flat line twenty yards out. It is great seeing us comfortable on the ball, able to recycle rather than punt aimlessly, but it needs and end product, players taking responsibility to slide a quick inside pass, and others to get on the end of it.

22 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Watching from behind Brechin's goal for the first half on Saturday i am sure there must be a fair few fellow buds left scratching their collective heads at how few actual attempts we made on goal considering the amount of possesion we had up to and around their box. Watching decent players continually shifting the ball from flank to flank until invariably someone concedes possesion and we are running backwards back fending off a breakaway attempt.

a simple question, why is no one seemingly taking responsibility to either shoot, or play an inside pass to someone else to turn and shoot from? It looks like our middle and front line only want to score the 'Perfect Goal' straight out of the UEFA coaching manual. Surely Ross has to look at that and insist his players dont try it the hard way on every occasion? 

I love seeing players hitting the goaline and screaming in a bullet cut back for someone to get on the end of, but if you rely solely on that tactic you make it easy for the opposition to frustrate you, like Saturday. If ever the pitch and conditions dictated 'shoot on sight' that was the day. Brechin were for the most part pretty turgid, frustrating and lacking ideas, but with us committing so many players forward to play a flat version of pass the parcel across the front of their box we left ourselves wide open to quick... no, they weren't  even quick! Just counter attacks. Why werent we sliding it into dangerous areas for a quick turn and shoot..? One of Reilly specialities.

the other frustrating tactic on Saturday and recent games is the seemingly more frequently used tactic of letting Samson shell it forward in a 'hit & hope' style that again makes it easy for decent defenders to nullify. Our midfield is constantly by passed, or cant be played through as too many of them are in a flat line twenty yards out. It is great seeing us comfortable on the ball, able to recycle rather than punt aimlessly, but it needs and end product, players taking responsibility to slide a quick inside pass, and others to get on the end of it.

Have you applied for the manager's job - I'm sure you'd be a shoe-in, given your apparent expertise...

:lol:

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Lot of sense there.  The passing game is great to watch when it works but teams like Brechin can set their stall out to frustrate that tactic. There is a lot to be said for having a crack at goal, especially when ,with players like McGinn ,McShane we have the guys who can do it. 

When the conditions were as they were on Saturday , make the keeper work , shots from range can easily be spilled and provide chances for the likes of Reilly & Smith . Also ,when we resort to plan B , ie the punt from Sammy , while Reilly does a fantastic job of winning these long balls he has an awful lot of work still to do , lets see McShane etc get on to the  knock downs and have a f**kin crack at goal !!

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

5 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Lot of sense there.  The passing game is great to watch when it works but teams like Brechin can set their stall out to frustrate that tactic. There is a lot to be said for having a crack at goal, especially when ,with players like McGinn ,McShane we have the guys who can do it. 

When the conditions were as they were on Saturday , make the keeper work , shots from range can easily be spilled and provide chances for the likes of Reilly & Smith . Also ,when we resort to plan B , ie the punt from Sammy , while Reilly does a fantastic job of winning these long balls he has an awful lot of work still to do , lets see McShane etc get on to the  knock downs and have a f**kin crack at goal !!

Ok Brechin are losing every game away and just 3 draws at home, the reason they haven't lost every game at home is because, they narrow the pitch, stops teams playing and getting behind them....... We did well on Saturday because we won- I bet you against Pars we have over 15 shots at goal........

16 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok Brechin are losing every game away and just 3 draws at home, the reason they haven't lost every game at home is because, they narrow the pitch, stops teams playing and getting behind them....... We did well on Saturday because we won- I bet you against Pars we have over 15 shots at goal........

I hope so cause last time against Pars we couldnt muster ONE attempt on goal. Its a real problem area that hasnt been addressed.

I have watched Arsenal for years and been frustrated as hell in them trying to score the perfect goal each and every time. It gets to the point when you site there and scream; "For f***k's sake SHOOT"!

Not often I agree with LPM but I would like to see a few games where occasionally we shoot on sight not just try and pass it into the net. <_<

In the recent match against Inverness, our opponents had a large number of shots at goal, almost all from distance, none of them producing a goal and none really threatening.

I appreciate it can be frustrating on the odd occasion we don't score, but unless we've got someone with the consistent ability to score from range - such as Mallan - I'm happy to keep doing what we're doing as it's getting us goals in almost every match we play.

Are we not the second top scoring team in the league? It's the other end where the problems are.

At the moment, but if teams below us start rattling goals in and we hesitate, as we have in a few games, we could very well find ourselves losing the good position we are in. As some of the previous posters have also noticed, we sometimes have few or no shots or end up looking like we are trying to pass the ball into the goal.

3 hours ago, Deekthebuddie said:

At the moment, but if teams below us start rattling goals in and we hesitate, as we have in a few games, we could very well find ourselves losing the good position we are in. As some of the previous posters have also noticed, we sometimes have few or no shots or end up looking like we are trying to pass the ball into the goal.

I get where folk are coming from. During the first quarter we seemed to have nothing to lose and played with a mental strength that brought us great results, apart from the occasional defeat.

Then as we started the 2nd quarter it has seemed that we have something to lose and, although we have tried to be a tighter unit, we have also lost a bit of the adventure we began with.

This is no surprise in a campaign.. as the battles rage, we will some and get battered at times... every team will have their great spell and their off spell.

BUT it is looking like Dunfermline have been off for a number of games and we need to help them keep that going.... we will do so by scoring and defending well..

Dundee Utd and us have a wee gap at the moment, though QOS and Livingstone could quickly catch up... this is a very significant period coming up.

If we win the December games or most and do not lose, we could find ourselves back on top... I think beating Utd and even having one draw elsewhere would be very significant, but they are the current form team over the last 6 games..

We need absolute hunger for victories, goals and the real bonus of everyone being happy and optimistic about us staying up top for the rest of the season.. it won't be easy, but boosts like Mullen and hopefully a couple more could really make the difference.. guys who are Premiership quality and staying for next season in the top league...

We have guys who can score - they need to be encouraged and to deliver...