Danny Mullen

div

Guest TPAFKATS
LPM Dundee Utd are not going to spend big as they don't have it
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/657692/dundee-united-announce-massive-loss-of-1-55million-in-latest-financial-figures-blame-it-on-relegation-to-championship/
And Saints are being prudent.... in the black- Just- living within our means .......................

Personally I wish we had Dobbie from QOS. Cant believe he hasn't moved on

I'm sure dobbie moved back to QoS as they are his hometown team, or club where he started his carer at least. He's made his money down in England and not likely to move on to a bigger club.

20 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
8 hours ago, DougJamie said:
LPM Dundee Utd are not going to spend big as they don't have it
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/657692/dundee-united-announce-massive-loss-of-1-55million-in-latest-financial-figures-blame-it-on-relegation-to-championship/
And Saints are being prudent.... in the black- Just- living within our means .......................

Personally I wish we had Dobbie from QOS. Cant believe he hasn't moved on

I'm sure dobbie moved back to QoS as they are his hometown team, or club where he started his carer at least. He's made his money down in England and not likely to move on to a bigger club.

They aren't his hometown team or his first club, they are pretty much responsible for saving his career though and he quite rightly decided that when the time was right, he'd come back and give back to the club who done so.

I remember Dobbie as a 23 year old at St. Johnstone playing in the reserves cup final vs us at Love Street back in 2005/06. He was horribly out of shape, like 2 and a half stone, squeezed into a shirt a size or two too wee for him. I remember sitting with my mate, saying what a shame it was that he was putting such talent to waste and that he'd likely he'd be out of the game in the next year or two if he didn't get his arse in gear.

St. Johnstone clearly had enough at that point as they soon papped him to third division Dumbarton on loan and to all intents and purposes and he was seemingly finished at any level until Queens took a chance on him when no-one else fancied him. They whipped him into shape and he not only got his career well on track, but excelled and earned a cracking wee career for himself in England's top two divisions.

So fair play to him for returning to Queens, he's 35 now but his record for them is quite jaw-dropping....169 games over 2 spells, 98 goals.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, djchapsticks said:

They aren't his hometown team or his first club, they are pretty much responsible for saving his career though and he quite rightly decided that when the time was right, he'd come back and give back to the club who done so.

I remember Dobbie as a 23 year old at St. Johnstone playing in the reserves cup final vs us at Love Street back in 2005/06. He was horribly out of shape, like 2 and a half stone and squeezed into a shirt a size or two too wee for him and I remember sitting with my mate and saying what a waste it was that he was putting such talent to waste and that he'd likely he'd be out of the game in the next year or two if he didn't get his arse in gear.

St. Johnstone clearly had enough at that point as they soon papped him to third division Dumbarton on loan and to all intents and purposes and he was seemingly finished at any level until Queens took a chance on him when no-one else fancied him. They whipped him into shape and he not only got his career well on track, but excelled and earned a cracking wee career for himself in England's top two divisions.

So fair play to him for returning to Queens, he's 35 now but his record for them is quite jaw-dropping....169 games over 2 spells, 98 goals.

Shows what some players are capable of, maybe a lesson for Shankland who, to me, has more to offer than he has shown overall. 

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I remember Dobbie as a 23 year old at St. Johnstone playing in the reserves cup final vs us at Love Street back in 2005/06. He was horribly out of shape, like 2 and a half stone, squeezed into a shirt a size or two too wee for him. I remember sitting with my mate, saying what a shame it was that he was putting such talent to waste and that he'd likely he'd be out of the game in the next year or two if he didn't get his arse in gear.

Great update mate.....  

11 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Dobbie is a Glasgow lad who was one of the many who started at the Old Govan club and never made it.  The queens fans love him and he seems to love the Club. Never been prolific elsewhere but cant stop scoring for the Doonhamers.   

Come on - he is hardly one for the future - great career but at 35 he is in his twilight and at his level. We need younger, hungrier guys who will give us plenty in the short term and either over many seasons or bring us in some cash when they move on..

Back to Danny Mullen please..   OR our next signing

42 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Come on - he is hardly one for the future - great career but at 35 he is in his twilight and at his level. We need younger, hungrier guys who will give us plenty in the short term and either over many seasons or bring us in some cash when they move on..

Back to Danny Mullen please..   OR our next signing

Sorry Bud, where did i say or even imply he was ? 

As i said, he has only ever been prolific at one club.  Smashing player for them but for Saints ? No thanks.

4 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Sorry Bud, where did i say or even imply he was ? 

As i said, he has only ever been prolific at one club.  Smashing player for them but for Saints ? No thanks.

SORRY  Callum - I quoted you but should not have - it was a line of comments previously about folk wanting us to sign Dobie.. I just wanted the thread to get back on track and add some realism - like you I think he is a Smashing player for them but for Saints ? No thanks!!

Regarding the McShane debate on this thread - I might be being harsh on the boy as there is a Stevie Mallan shaped hole in the middle of our team - but for me he just does not create enough.  At the start of the season him and McGinn were falling over each other at times, and I still don't feel they compliment each other particularly well.

I feel the lack of creativity in the middle of the park is why we struggle against diddy park the bus teams like Dumbarton, East Kilbride and Morton.

I'd like to see a new signing for central midfield and McShane used a squad player.  Stevie Mallan back on loan would do, or failing that, Kevin de Bruyne.

Edited by Kemp

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Regarding the McShane debate on this thread - I might be being harsh on the boy as there is a Stevie Mallan shaped hole in the middle of our team - but for me he just does not create enough.  At the start of the season him and McGinn were falling over each other at times, and I still don't feel they compliment each other particularly well.

I feel the lack of creativity in the middle of the park is why we struggle against diddy park the bus teams like Dumbarton, East Kilbride and Morton.

I'd like to see a new signing for central midfield and McShane used a squad player.  Stevie Mallan back on loan would do, or failing that, Kevin de Bruyne.

Would you be happier if they constantly told each other how wonderful they are? :whistle

McShane is our top assister this season with 8. Seems to create plenty...

4 hours ago, Soctty said:
10 hours ago, Kemp said:

McShane is our top assister this season with 8. Seems to create plenty...

Where are you getting that number from?  The stats I saw have him on 4.

I like McShane good player. But his tackling is not the best.
I agree. I've said before we could be doing with a defensive midfielder in there for certain games as neither McGinn nor McShane are defensive minded players. Defence gets little protection at times due to the team's attacking mindset.