January 2018 Transfer Window

Let Dundee United throw money around all they want. It didn't work for them last season and paying the likes of Scott McDonald a fortune hasn't worked so far this season. They should be cruising the league, they may well do it after January, but just because they've started signing folk doesn't mean we suddenly should do. If we lose the league to them so be it, I'm quite happy with how the budgets have been handled under the current management.

As much as I want us to win the league, I will be more than happy if we make the play-offs after the last few years.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Let Dundee United throw money around all they want. It didn't work for them last season and paying the likes of Scott McDonald a fortune hasn't worked so far this season. They should be cruising the league, they may well do it after January, but just because they've started signing folk doesn't mean we suddenly should do. If we lose the league to them so be it, I'm quite happy with how the budgets have been handled under the current management.

As much as I want us to win the league, I will be more than happy if we make the play-offs after the last few years.

How much are United paying McDonald? 

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Agreed.

Anyway, it smacks of desperation. That's fine. They've peaked.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I have no idea but I'm guessing he's on a fair whack. Wouldn't surprise me if he's the highest paid player in the league.

Wasn't he supposed to be going back to Australia for his final pay day?

Whatever United are paying him, it will be a considerable drain on their finances.

This clueless whining about United supposedly paying guys a "fortune" are pointless. 

Doesn't anybody think Brechin could be wailing about what we "supposedly" pay our players?  

Those in the know say Sutton is on big money, is that an issue? 

What if we sign a couple of decent players, and pay decent money, are we bad? 

We should concentrate on our own club, stop spending so much time with pointless speculation. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

This clueless whining about United supposedly paying guys a "fortune" are pointless. 

Doesn't anybody think Brechin could be wailing about what we "supposedly" pay our players?  

We should concentrate on our own club, stop spending so much time with pointless speculation. 

Totally agree with the above but isn’t the whining more about Utd spending money they don’t have, rather than just spending money. 

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

There is a  important difference though Dundee United are spending what they don' have being over a million in debt. St Mirren on the other hand work within its means we don' spend what we don' have. 

24 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There is a  important difference though Dundee United are spending what they don' have being over a million in debt. St Mirren on the other hand work within its means we don' spend what we don' have. 

They are in debt seemingly, but I don't know what they pay McDonald and TBH I don't care.

Their chairman has stated they won't go bust if they don't go up this season, but it will be a costly outcome.

I would imagine most teams that come down from the top league suffer for a season or two.

Edited by faraway saint

It's fine for everyone to speculate and give their views about our players, but I'm happy to leave the vital work of bolstering the team this month to JR and JF. As has been said, they did a fine job last January, so let's trust them to repeat that.

As for players, I've said several times previously that I think we need a tough tackler in midfield to help protect our defence. That would be a priority for me.

Rory Loy v john Sutton? I'd let Sutton see out his contract and continue to use him as a sub. His height and build mean that he carries a good goal threat and he complements well our smaller forwards. As far as I can see, he always gives his best when he plays. Loy scored an important goal for us at the end of last season, but seems to have disappeared from the Falkirk line-up. If he came back, I'm sure it would take him some time to find his form again, so I don't think it's worth bringing him back.

Quick word for Liam Smith. Young talented player who always works hard for the team without getting too many mentions on here. I see him up close from where I sit and he gets through a power of work each game in both defence and attack. Not a showy player, but always puts in a very steady performance. I really hope we can keep him until the summer at least.

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I doubt anybody on here KNOWS this, that's my main point.

That is true. It’s all speculation, although I think we can all make a fair assumption that they’re not rolling in it.

I personally couldnae care less. We’ll gub them regardless of how much they spend. It’s not all about spending money anyway. It’s about buying the right players. And I trust JR to do that almost regardless of our resoective budgets. 

On 30/12/2017 at 10:29 AM, Mr Zo said:

Wonder if we might have a wee word with Falkirk about getting Rory Loy on loan for second half of the season?

Still can't believe he left the St Mirren dressing room for Falkirk after he witnessed in second part of season. Assume they must have offered better terms, possibly closer to his home and maybe an emotional attachment to Falkirk in some way from his time there in the past.

We can't afford to pay a tranfer fee and match his wages but could take him on loan and pay his wages which would be high but when Reilly is missing we don't have too many other striking options.

I remember at the time hearing something about Falkirk either paying Dundee something towards buying out his contract or they simply took on his existing high wage. Could be a load of rubbish right enough.  After seeing his bond with the other players at the end of season party after the Hibs game last season, he gave off the impression that he felt part of the team, he wanted to stay and Jack had possibly had a word in his ear that he was wanted for this season. I know we were definitely interested, though i think it was all down to terms with Dundee at the end of the day.

I would definitely have him in the team if his head is still in the same place. He was definitely an impact player for us in the past and would be a magnificent replacement if Duffy and/or Sutton were to leave.

This is pure speculation from a Falkirk supporting mate at work who says that Loy has recently split from his wife and is on the sauce a lot hence the reason for his loss of form and first team action. I cant say the story is definitely true but this is what my friend was saying he was hearing from several of his Falkirk supporting mates.

He said they are payjng him around £2k a week which I find hard to believe.

I thought his lack of game time was due to issues from his past at Dundee with Hartley.

It's fine for everyone to speculate and give their views about our players, but I'm happy to leave the vital work of bolstering the team this month to JR and JF. As has been said, they did a fine job last January, so let's trust them to repeat that.
As for players, I've said several times previously that I think we need a tough tackler in midfield to help protect our defence. That would be a priority for me.
Rory Loy v john Sutton? I'd let Sutton see out his contract and continue to use him as a sub. His height and build mean that he carries a good goal threat and he complements well our smaller forwards. As far as I can see, he always gives his best when he plays. Loy scored an important goal for us at the end of last season, but seems to have disappeared from the Falkirk line-up. If he came back, I'm sure it would take him some time to find his form again, so I don't think it's worth bringing him back.
Quick word for Liam Smith. Young talented player who always works hard for the team without getting too many mentions on here. I see him up close from where I sit and he gets through a power of work each game in both defence and attack. Not a showy player, but always puts in a very steady performance. I really hope we can keep him until the summer at least.
Thought Smith's was a 1 year loan??? That's what the post title Div started when he signed says.