January 2018 Transfer Window

The one type of player I think we need is a John Sutton of 10 years ago with a bit more mobility. If we could pick someone like that up from the lower leagues in England then that would give us more options up front. Our forward line is small and we need height to give us more options and style of play. Ross Stewart I guess hasn't progressed as JR would have liked. I think if we can we should offload Sutton but if we can't get a replacement type then keep him.
Any player we bring in also has to be bought with the view of being capable of playing at Premiership level, so not easy
I think we'll find it hard to shift John Sutton. I really like the guy so I am not saying this to have a go at him or to start any campaign against him.

My take on it is that he has been a good pro for years and will probably have made some money from the game. He is quite a bright guy, so I doubt he's been squandering his money. He seems to be dabbling in a bit of Media work and is gaining experience as a fitness instructor/personal trainer. He is probably aware that this is his last full time gig and there is a possibility of finishing his career with a medal.

A bit of a rhetorical question here, but how much money would you want to leave a team where they are challenging for a title and run your career down at a part time gig?

What would anyone prefer? Sign off with a medal or an extra £5k, £10k, £20k, £30k, £50k or £100k+ ?

3 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

Swansea and Crystal Palace think he may be worth signing, why all the negativity on here!

Look Jai, you are the only one on this site that thinks you are any good. The rest of us think you are pretty shite and would not even get a game in our U15 team. So go try look for a gig somewhere else. You may have better luck with some Second Division teams.

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Look Jai, you are the only one on this site that thinks you are any good. The rest of us think you are pretty shite and would not even get a game in our U15 team. So go try look for a gig somewhere else. You may have better luck with some Second Division teams.

It might be José.:lol:

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

It might be José.:lol:

A certain former poster is quite pally with him, maybe that's who it is.

I wouldn't have a problem if we signed Quitongo, however the idea that Morton would sell him to us is laughable. Maybe they'd let us have him if we asked really nicely.

Morton constantly punt balls over the top which suits Quitongo as his main attributes are pace and strength. Knock it by the defender and run.....

Technically though he's a limited footballer. Put him in a team besides the likes of Smith and Morgan and he'd stick out like a sore thumb.

I'd be surprised if he takes his career any further than the Championship.

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

A certain former poster is quite pally with him, maybe that's who it is.

I wouldn't have a problem if we signed Quitongo, however the idea that Morton would sell him to us is laughable. Maybe they'd let us have him if we asked really nicely.

They could always just give him to us and we can put him at the back of our stadium and let him rust.

4 hours ago, Hambud said:

I think we'll find it hard to shift John Sutton. I really like the guy so I am not saying this to have a go at him or to start any campaign against him.

My take on it is that he has been a good pro for years and will probably have made some money from the game. He is quite a bright guy, so I doubt he's been squandering his money. He seems to be dabbling in a bit of Media work and is gaining experience as a fitness instructor/personal trainer. He is probably aware that this is his last full time gig and there is a possibility of finishing his career with a medal.

A bit of a rhetorical question here, but how much money would you want to leave a team where they are challenging for a title and run your career down at a part time gig?

What would anyone prefer? Sign off with a medal or an extra £5k, £10k, £20k, £30k, £50k or £100k+ ?

Sorry I don' buy that. Make no mistake  we wanted to keep John first time around but John opted for more money ( rightly ) John did what was best for him again ( rightly ) . Now we have to do what is ( right ) by St Mirren by looking after number one ( us )  Only player who has played the loyal card is Morgan by wanting to make sure we get cash. John looks after himself and so should We, meaning if we can move John on one of our biggest paid players we should and are rightly trying. Also rightly John is looking after himself not St Mirren however its our self made problem having one of our best paid players not good enough to start games. 

Sorry I don' buy that. Make no mistake  we wanted to keep John first time around but John opted for more money ( rightly ) John did what was best for him again ( rightly ) . Now we have to do what is ( right ) by St Mirren by looking after number one ( us )  Only player who has played the loyal card is Morgan by wanting to make sure we get cash. John looks after himself and so should We, meaning if we can move John on one of our biggest paid players we should and are rightly trying. Also rightly John is looking after himself not St Mirren however its our self made problem having one of our best paid players not good enough to start games. 
I'm not comparing Sutton's situation to Morgan's. What Morgan is doing is brilliant.

My opening statement is that I think it will be difficult to shift him not that we shouldn't shift him.

What amount of money do you think would be enough for him to write off the chance of finishing his full time career with a medal?

Good points and I would not be surprised if that was his thinking.

Only thing is he better watch is that he plays enough games to qualify for a championship medal [emoji846]

I don't really understand the clamour to offload Sutton (perhaps clamour is too strong, in fairness).

He is still fit, a handful for defenders, and also handy to have when defending set pieces. I understand the financial issue, but JR himself indicated at the weekend that we are in a reasonable position in that respect given recent transfer income.

I don't really understand the clamour to offload Sutton (perhaps clamour is too strong, in fairness).
He is still fit, a handful for defenders, and also handy to have when defending set pieces. I understand the financial issue, but JR himself indicated at the weekend that we are in a reasonable position in that respect given recent transfer income.

I agree clamour is a bit strong but I think it is obvious to most people he is not in JRs plan and if he could be moved on it would give Jack more options in the transfer window.
I like Sutton and feel he defo gives us a different dimension , however his lack of game time and the fact he has been offered out on loan would suggest this option is not one JR fancies.
As far as Sutton is concerned, the ball is in his court, he can simply sight tight , pick up a wage and move on at the end of his contract. I have no doubt he will find a decent level club, who knows , mibbee he already has !

35 minutes ago, Drew said:

Clamour is too strong Drew. The bottom line he is one of the highest earners and definitely not in the manager's plans. Maybe some fans would love to see him play at times but Jack doesn't. For what it is worth I think we could get better value for money elsewhere but my view like everyone else's is irrelevant -Jack does not rate him.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I think the feeling is that Sutton is a high earner, isn't being used, and the club could use that money far more effectively. He is still fit, can cause problems and is a decent option from the bench, but if the manager doesn't fancy him we're better off with something different.

That being said, I have no problem with him - or any other player - who wants to honour his contract and doesn't allow themselves to be pushed out. If he's happy with scraps here and there, no problem at all.

20 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

Swansea and Crystal Palace think he may be worth signing, why all the negativity on here!

Not think, at the very best thought. He got a really bad injury (twice) at crucial points in his development as a player and by all accounts isn't close to the player he looked like devloping into. There's been a few games this season where even Morton have dropped him. Don't let the fact a player ups his game against us fool you into thinking he's worth paying money for and we would have to pay for him. Not saying he 100% won't develop, just that with his injury history it would be a big gamble to take.