January 2018 Transfer Window

I don't really understand the clamour to offload Sutton (perhaps clamour is too strong, in fairness).
He is still fit, a handful for defenders, and also handy to have when defending set pieces. I understand the financial issue, but JR himself indicated at the weekend that we are in a reasonable position in that respect given recent transfer income.

When it comes down to the end of the season. Suttons experience will come in handy.

I don't really understand the clamour to offload Sutton (perhaps clamour is too strong, in fairness).
He is still fit, a handful for defenders, and also handy to have when defending set pieces. I understand the financial issue, but JR himself indicated at the weekend that we are in a reasonable position in that respect given recent transfer income.

FWIW I'd like to see him stay.

I'm a bit indifferent to Sutton staying or going. He's been great for us over two spells and I'm sure he holds no grudges looking at the form Smith and Reilly have been on. He could be an impact player towards the end of the season but the flip side is if we offloaded that wage could we use the money saved to sweeten deals for players like Reilly and McGinn and still have enough left to replace him with a younger prospect player? 

I'm happy with whatever happens and have no issue if he stays or if he goes. It's a tough call for him, maybe he'll end up wanting to go to put himself in the shop window for a new club in the summer. Perhaps Raith and Dumbarton who were quoted just aren't the right moves for him. 

I don't  mind discussing new and prospective signings, but I find this forum's tendency. To speculate on how the budget can be trimmed a little distasteful.

The manager knows who he wants, what their value is to him and he knows if he can afford it.

It's been proven many times, the average fan knows the. Square root of sod all when it comes to running a club

12 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I don't  mind discussing new and prospective signings, but I find this forum's tendency. To speculate on how the budget can be trimmed a little distasteful.

The manager knows who he wants, what their value is to him and he knows if he can afford it.

It's been proven many times, the average fan knows the. Square root of sod all when it comes to running a club

Probably should be chat that's kept to the speculation thread in all honesty. Agreed. 

The one thing the last two windows have shown is that Jack gets what he wants, because he researches and looks within budget. Don't see this window being any different

Feel Danny Mullen will become another great signing........ so in JR we trust...................

16 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Show us the proof regarding what the average fan knows ? 

9 minutes ago, Hambud said:
13 minutes ago, Drew said:
Good news that Motherwell have signed up Nadir Cifci.  Less likelihood of them targeting Reilly following the departure of Moult.

Were they trying to buy him this January or just sign him on a Pre contract?

I'd heard some suggestion that they might be looking at him. Not sure if there was anything in it, or on what basis, but it is certainly possible.

A striker who has netted 20 times by the beginning of January, in a team that is sitting atop the Championship is likely to be of interest to a mid-table top tier club on the lookout for a replacement for their top scorer.

Edited by Drew

4 minutes ago, Anybuddie said:

Think Reilly is in a good place just now and not sure he’d want to jeopardise that with a move to a lower prem team. If he continues his current form to the end of the season he will have more options but hopefully he stays put !! 

Reilly is another example of a player whose career was on a slippery slope until he was adopted by the good shepherd Jack Ross.

JR seems to have a talent for spotting potential in a faltering player and rebuilding their confidence. I see Stephen McGinn as another example of someone whose career was going nowhere but downhill until he came back to Paisley and started working with JR.

Harry Davis's move to Paisley has also been  symbiotic. He is a better player for his move to St Mirren and we survived in the Championship last season largely because of the impact of Davis joining us.

7 hours ago, div said:

Two more exits to follow before any new arrivals.

Connor O'Keefe and Darryl Duffy both heading out to lower league clubs.

I hope Connor's is a loan deal as I think the lad  has a chance in the game.

Edited by stlucifer

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Harry Davis's move to Paisley has also been  symbiotic. He is a better player for his move to St Mirren and we survived in the Championship last season largely because of the impact of Davis joining us.

While I agree with most of your post and think Harry is a very good player you are having a laugh with your last sentence. Harry only played 8 games before injury, important games I grant you as every game was last season but I would say that McGinn was closer to a largely than HD. In fact I would say that we survived last season largely due to JR joining us and making a raft of changes and astute signings not due to any one player in a good team.

SS

This seems to have become the John Sutton will he go,  Will he stay thread.

My take is that he has never let himself or any club he has been at down. He has scored goals for each, kept his head down and appears to be a model pro. 

His reward of course has been to be able to ensure steady employment . No mean feat in the competitive arena in which he works.

Do I feel that his best years may be behind him? I am inclined to think so but would have no problem with him staying but, having said that, not often in the starting line up.

If he goes then he would certainly do a job at another Championship or an SPFL league 1 club.

Certainly a decision for JR and JS to make.