January 2018 Transfer Window

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I imagine the second player on Monday will be Hill.

The former Crewe holding mid is presumably not on the radar as with Hill coming in and Magennis moving inside, we'll have plenty of cover in the centre of the park.

Jack has indicated one more in after the two on Monday. I'd like to think that'll be a forward given we have lost 3  in this window and only have Reilly, Mullen and Sutton

Think your right mate reading today's press with Ross . 

I think McShane gets unfair criticism on here.
He can be a bit frustrating and slows play down at times (as does McGinn, to be fair) but is pretty effective in more games than not. His assist tally has already been mentioned, but he has other attributes and can pick a decent pass.
Also worth mentioning that he has been an ever-present in a team that is sitting at the top of the league. His goals (penalties, granted, but they still have to be converted) all count.
Competition for places is the key.
I agree re Mcshane. I'm not sure I watch the same games as some others. He is very often doing one twos and bursting into the box and very much trying to be the creative one between him and McGinn.

However I think it is good to have competition for midfield places. I don't think it's as 'obvious' a choice as some think.

I agree re Mcshane. I'm not sure I watch the same games as some others. He is very often doing one twos and bursting into the box and very much trying to be the creative one between him and McGinn.

However I think it is good to have competition for midfield places. I don't think it's as 'obvious' a choice as some think.

Well seeing as Flynn is predominantly a right sided winger the original question was who gets dropped to accommodate him. Who else apart from Mcshane would anyone drop obviously not Morgan or Mcginn so comes down to a choice between Mcshane and Magennis and from Jack's first day he has talked up Magennis's ability and how he is a central midfielder playing out wide so as much as Mcshane is/has been good this season I can only see Jack going one way and that's Mcshane makes way.

All winning teams have unhappy players sitting on bench or in stand just ask Gregor Buchanan.

Well seeing as Flynn is predominantly a right sided winger the original question was who gets dropped to accommodate him. Who else apart from Mcshane would anyone drop obviously not Morgan or Mcginn so comes down to a choice between Mcshane and Magennis and from Jack's first day he has talked up Magennis's ability and how he is a central midfielder playing out wide so as much as Mcshane is/has been good this season I can only see Jack going one way and that's Mcshane makes way.

All winning teams have unhappy players sitting on bench or in stand just ask Gregor Buchanan.
All fair points though my points were mainly about McShane being under rated and getting a hard time from saints fans.

I think there will be times Jack picks his midfield to suit matches rather than the midfield picking itself just now so its good to have competition.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
7 minutes ago, 17/03/13 said:
Flynn not in Oldham squad today. His squad number (7) has been taken off him too. The young lad Benyu on loan from Celtic has it now.

Oldham posted yesterday Flynn contract was terminated so technically he is now a free agent with no club.

Cheers. I never actually took note that someone previously posted that he had been officially released

3 hours ago, 17/03/13 said:

Flynn not in Oldham squad today. His squad number (7) has been taken off him too. The young lad Benyu on loan from Celtic has it now.

His contract was terminated yesterday.

ETA - apologies, missed Ronnie's earlier post.

Edited by Drew

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:
15 hours ago, renfrew said:
Yes and I am glad it is the manager and not me that decide.

In all seriousness got to be Mcshane that gets dropped thought that was pretty obvious.

We've players scoring goals which is great but these usually come because someone has given them that opportunity.  As well as working his butt off winning ball McShane is virtually the top creator of goals in the league?   +5 goals being our best penalty taker.  I'd not rush to drop him any time soon.

mcshane.jpg.966cf5075e77d493ac0535f3962d36a8.jpg

Edited by WirralSaint

14 hours ago, Soctty said:

The guy who has created the most goals for us this season?
Really?

McShane is not the creative force in the team.  Often his passing, final ball & shooting is suspect at best.  I appreciate this is at times due to him taking risks (not playing the easy ball) but too often a move breaks down through him  Thankfully he has mainly been taken off corner duty as they were a nightmare to watch.  The bigger problem is that when the going gets tough he completely disappears.  You want your central midfield to be able to get a grip of the game when the opposition has you pinned back and he is not able to do that at all, even against weak opposition like Morton.

He is a decent player, and overall has done reasonably well for us this season.  But he is clearly not at the level of McGinn or Morgan and clearly not good enough for the Premier League, and it is quite obvious that he will be the one spending more time on the bench now the two new signings are coming in. 

5 hours ago, Kemp said:
McShane is not the creative force in the team.  Often his passing, final ball & shooting is suspect at best.  I appreciate this is at times due to him taking risks (not playing the easy ball) but too often a move breaks down through him  Thankfully he has mainly been taken off corner duty as they were a nightmare to watch.  The bigger problem is that when the going gets tough he completely disappears.  You want your central midfield to be able to get a grip of the game when the opposition has you pinned back and he is not able to do that at all, even against weak opposition like Morton.
He is a decent player, and overall has done reasonably well for us this season.  But he is clearly not at the level of McGinn or Morgan and clearly not good enough for the Premier League, and it is quite obvious that he will be the one spending more time on the bench now the two new signings are coming in. 

Moves also often break down through McGinn dwelling on the ball or trying risky passes - I'm not calling for McGinn to be dropped. It's part of being a creative player that you don't go for the easy option every time.

I've said numerous times we need a more defensive player in the midfield at times. That doesn't mean I want to drop part of the midfield that has us 8 points clear at the top of the league, it means we need to maybe change it for certain games or situations.

You may find it obvious that McShane will be the one spending more time on the bench but I'm of the opinion that new signings will serve to give more competition in the squad, and push players to more consistent performances.

The whole team has been brilliant this season. What's needed is more bodies in midfield to allow us to give players a rest and push everyone up another level in their performance if possible. Singling one guy out for criticism - especially the guy who's created most goals for us - seems strange to me.

Edited by Soctty

Moves also often break down through McGinn dwelling on the ball or trying risky passes - I'm not calling for McGinn to be dropped. It's part of being a creative player that you don't go for the easy option every time.

I've said numerous times we need a more defensive player in the midfield at times. That doesn't mean I want drop part of the midfield they has is 8 points clear at the top of the league, it means we need to maybe change it for certain games or situations.

You may find it obvious that McShane will be the one spending more time on the bench but I'm of the opinion that new signings will serve to give more competition in the squad, and push players to more consistent performances.

The whole team has been brilliant this season. What's needed is more bodies in midfield to allow us to give players a rest and push everyone up another level in their performance if possible. Singling one guy out for criticism - especially the guy who's created most goals for us - seems strange to me.

It's becoming a bit similar to the old Jack Baird thread where it was "fact" Gary Mackenzie and Harry Davis would start every game.