January 2018 Transfer Window

It's becoming a bit similar to the old Jack Baird thread where it was "fact" Gary Mackenzie and Harry Davis would start every game.
Aye, folk posting they don't see what McShane brings to the the team, to be told he's the top assister. They then deduce that assists don't mean you're creative...

Jack knows, and he'll make the right decisions at the right time.

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

McShane was one of our best players yesterday.

He was excellent yesterday. But I can see what some of the detractors mean (not that I am one of them), in that McShane is either highly impressive or completely anonymous. You very rarely get the middle ground with him.

For my liking though, he's generally a very good player. Reminds me a bit of Steven Thomson.

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He was excellent yesterday. But I can see what some of the detractors mean (not that I am one of them), in that McShane is either highly impressive or completely anonymous. You very rarely get the middle ground with him.

For my liking though, he's generally a very good player. Reminds me a bit of Steven Thomson.

Nothing like Thomson. He was a dogged, hard tackling, box to box midfielder. 

He is just entering that hallowed age group of 25-29 yr old which is widely regarded as when players are at their best.

How often have we seen guys have that time of their careers elsewhere and wondered "why didn't they do that for us".

Let's hope it's us that see him through that period of his career and not some mob like Motherwell, Killie, Partick or Hamilton.

1 hour ago, Hambud said:
2 hours ago, Soctty said:
Moves also often break down through McGinn dwelling on the ball or trying risky passes - I'm not calling for McGinn to be dropped. It's part of being a creative player that you don't go for the easy option every time.

I've said numerous times we need a more defensive player in the midfield at times. That doesn't mean I want drop part of the midfield they has is 8 points clear at the top of the league, it means we need to maybe change it for certain games or situations.

You may find it obvious that McShane will be the one spending more time on the bench but I'm of the opinion that new signings will serve to give more competition in the squad, and push players to more consistent performances.

The whole team has been brilliant this season. What's needed is more bodies in midfield to allow us to give players a rest and push everyone up another level in their performance if possible. Singling one guy out for criticism - especially the guy who's created most goals for us - seems strange to me.

It's becoming a bit similar to the old Jack Baird thread where it was "fact" Gary Mackenzie and Harry Davis would start every game.

The Jack Baird of just a few months ago wouldn't have been anywhere near a fully fit first team.

There are various areas of the team still to be improved.  The distribution from the back, the decision making in the final third, set-pieces, conversation rate of chances etc.  Jack should be building a team to compete in the Premier League now, and hopefully these two new signings will be of that quality.

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

The Jack Baird of just a few months ago wouldn't have been anywhere near a fully fit first team.

There are various areas of the team still to be improved.  The distribution from the back, the decision making in the final third, set-pieces, conversation rate of chances etc.  Jack should be building a team to compete in the Premier League now, and hopefully these two new signings will be of that quality.

At this point, permanent signings need to be Premiership ready, such as Flynn, and also able to really push those in possession of the jerseys at the moment, without anyone going straight into what is a winning team which is top of the league by an increasing distance. A difficult balance to striker.

Regarding Baird, bar an off day at Cappielow early in the season, he's been our standout centre back for most of the season.

21 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Well seeing as Flynn is predominantly a right sided winger the original question was who gets dropped to accommodate him. Who else apart from Mcshane would anyone drop obviously not Morgan or Mcginn so comes down to a choice between Mcshane and Magennis and from Jack's first day he has talked up Magennis's ability and how he is a central midfielder playing out wide so as much as Mcshane is/has been good this season I can only see Jack going one way and that's Mcshane makes way.

All winning teams have unhappy players sitting on bench or in stand just ask Gregor Buchanan.

No one will be getting dropped. Any new addition will need to wait their turn. Why would anyone want to disrupt the team on a run like this, would be utter madness. I really don't get this clamour to get McShane (or anyone else for that matter) out of a starting 11 when the team are performing so well.

First and foremost, we need the players to gain promotion. Whether or not they are ready for the step-up is a secondary factor right now.

The second acquisition tomorrow is a loan, so won't really factor in the equation. Flynn certainly has all the credentials to be top tier quality.

On their day, I can envisage our current squad matching many of the teams in the Premiership. They would need time to adapt, though. I suspect that is why we were spanked by a very mediocre Thistle.

Much as it would be great to throw money at box office signings, the outcome of the season isn't by any means guaranteed. If we gain promotion, the club will be able to budget for bringing better players in.

First things first. Let's win this league!

Unless a new player is outstanding and far better than anything else you have then it makes better sense to ease them into the squad, which is of course exactly what Jack will do. It brings much needed competition to the players currently in the team and keeps them on their toes.

16 minutes ago, Kemp said:

The Jack Baird of a few months ago was a pivotal figure in securing our Championship status. Are folk forgetting that Davis was injured after playing half a dozen or so matches, and wasn't around during the run in when we were all but wiping the floor with the opposition?

I'm sticking my neck out here, but even since Davis' return, and as good as he clearly is, in my opinion, Jack has been the more solid of the two. That's entirely understandable given Harry was returning from a bad injury.

IF we bring in a holding midfielder I think he'll begin life on the bench to be brought on at the times, and they've been a few recently, where our temp has dropped and we are losing the midfield.  When we are I the mood we were in yesterday the need for the holding midfielder isn't as great as we were controlling the ball. It's really not necessary to start speculating who'll be dropped.

Re the incoming midfielder - there was a game in October before Magennis was properly back where it was stated on the OS that McGinn was playing despite not having trained during the week. We've been rather lucky that McGinn & McShane have both been available for just about every game with McGinn just missing the CC game against Raith (a decision which was a pure disgrace by the way). 

I reckon adding MaGennis & the new guy will presumably give us 4 options for 2 places which is just about right considering injuries & possible suspensions. Obviously there's gonna be competition for starting places but I trust JR to get things right.

IF we bring in a holding midfielder I think he'll begin life on the bench to be brought on at the times, and they've been a few recently, where our temp has dropped and we are losing the midfield.  When we are I the mood we were in yesterday the need for the holding midfielder isn't as great as we were controlling the ball. It's really not necessary to start speculating who'll be dropped.
The Speculation surrounding who would get dropped was due to the fact the Ryan Flynn signing was revealed early and as seeing as he is a very good right winger the speculation was if he got into team straight away who would miss out imo that would be Mcshane this isn't a dig at Mcshane just that I think it would be him rather than Magennis as we know it won't be Mcginn or Morgan.

Jack stated that the next 6-8 weeks are really important as our fixture list looks less difficult than United's if he has to annoy a few players by dropping them for the new guys so be it as we could have league as good as won after United away 3rd March.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The Speculation surrounding who would get dropped was due to the fact the Ryan Flynn signing was revealed early and as seeing as he is a very good right winger the speculation was if he got into team straight away who would miss out imo that would be Mcshane this isn't a dig at Mcshane just that I think it would be him rather than Magennis as we know it won't be Mcginn or Morgan.

Jack stated that the next 6-8 weeks are really important as our fixture list looks less difficult than United's if he has to annoy a few players by dropping them for the new guys so be it as we could have league as good as won after United away 3rd March.

Even so. The change could happen from the bench when necessary with EITHER McShane or even our Captain rested and Flynn coming on with young McGennis moving in.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Ryan Flynn hasn't started a game for Oldham this season in the league. I think it's fair to say he won't walk straight into the team and will be introduced gradually over the course of the next 3 or 4 matches.

He started on New Year's Day in the 1-0 defeat at Shrewsbury, having played half an hour two days earlier as a sub - I think he'll be ready to play quite quickly to be honest.

19 minutes ago, Soctty said:

He started on New Year's Day in the 1-0 defeat at Shrewsbury, having played half an hour two days earlier as a sub - I think he'll be ready to play quite quickly to be honest.

Fair enough, I've read transfermarkt wrong... see he also got the full 90 against Plymouth on 23rd December. Very little football aside from that though.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Fair enough, I've read transfermarkt wrong... see he also got the full 90 against Plymouth on 23rd December. Very little football aside from that though.

Aye, not used much earlier in the season, possibly injured. Good to see him with a few games under his belt recently, so should be in decent shape to step in when required.

2 weeks into the window, I'm surprised Kirkpatrick hasn't moved on yet....... (would likely be a loan though as he's under contract another 18 months).

In the last 5 games he hasn't even made the bench. MacPherson, Erhahon and Flanagan have, instead, been in the squad as midfield options. Could be injured I suppose.

Just now, Julian Banjos said:

2 weeks into the window, I'm surprised Kirkpatrick hasn't moved on yet....... (would likely be a loan though as he's under contract another 18 months).

In the last 5 games he hasn't even made the bench. MacPherson, Erhahon and Flanagan have, instead, been in the squad as midfield options. Could be injured I suppose.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he is indeed injured.

2 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

According to Jack Ross in yesterday's PDE, that should be it it in terms of movement out the way as he doesn't want to deplete his squad any further.