Foodbank Collection

Drew

FFS what is it with people these days that they can't do a charitable thing without publicly blowing their trumpets about how virtuous they are. :lol:

The original post was fine. It didn't really need anyone else piling in with their self-nominations for person of the year 2017. :lol:

I would blame Facebook and the "like" generation for all this nauseating self-back-patting nonsense if we hadn't been plagued by it for decades.

The term "voluntouring" for example pre-dates Facebook I think.

Edited by oaksoft

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

FFS what is it with people these days that they can't do a charitable thing without publicly blowing their trumpets about how virtuous they are. :lol:

The original post was fine. It didn't really need anyone else piling in with their self-nominations for person of the year 2017. :lol:

I would blame Facebook and the "like" generation for all this nauseating self-back-patting nonsense if we hadn't been plagued by it for decades.

The term "voluntouring" for example pre-dates Facebook I think.

Did not bring a bag of groceries to the game as I know many families struggle in Rothesay due to a lack of employment on the Island as such will be handing in stuff to the busy shop for the needy. Did I or anyone else write this to have a pat on the back ? Not at all if it helps others to think they might help now or in the future then the post had done it's job. Your views on food banks is well documented so you would be better ignoring such threads if all you can bring to a hungry table is negative nonsense. 

22 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Did not bring a bag of groceries to the game as I know many families struggle in Rothesay due to a lack of employment on the Island as such will be handing in stuff to the busy shop for the needy. Did I or anyone else write this to have a pat on the back ? Not at all if it helps others to think they might help now or in the future then the post had done it's job. Your views on food banks is well documented so you would be better ignoring such threads if all you can bring to a hungry table is negative nonsense. 

The "needy"?

A "hungry table"?

You are certainly playing fast and loose with the cliches today my friend :lol:

As for my views on foodbanks? Yes they are well documented. They are a good thing. We don't need anywhere near the number that exist right now but on the whole they are a very good thing indeed.

I have no problem with charities, people publicising them or people donating to charity.

What I do have an issue with is people doing so and then engaging in self-indulgent virtue signalling.

If you are not virtue signalling then I am struggling to understand why you have taken clear offence at my post.

Edited by oaksoft

53 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The "needy"?

A "hungry table"?

You are certainly playing fast and loose with the cliches today my friend :lol:

As for my views on foodbanks? Yes they are well documented. They are a good thing. We don't need anywhere near the number that exist right now but on the whole they are a very good thing indeed.

I have no problem with charities, people publicising them or people donating to charity.

What I do have an issue with is people doing so and then engaging in self-indulgent virtue signalling.

If you are not virtue signalling then I am struggling to understand why you have taken clear offence at my post.

You say "we don't need anywhere near the number that exist right now " . How did you come to this conclusion? 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

You say "we don't need anywhere near the number that exist right now " . How did you come to this conclusion? 

Never question the self-appointed "most intelligent poster on the forum". Didn't you know he'd done research on foodbanks in his lab?

:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, munoz said:

Because when a new foodbank opens up, it does so without proving a need exists.

They can open up at will.

You and I could open one tomorrow without any fuss or question.

Under those circumstances it is absolutely inevitable that we will have supply driving demand.

Of course you could quash my argument immediately by showing me evidence that you need an approved business case to open a new foodbank in this country and that all existing foodbanks have had to demonstrate a need before opening.

In fact we could end all the argument now by simply bringing in a law which forces foodbanks to prove there is a need for them before allowing them to open.

We are creating a dependency culture which is not a good thing.

Unrestricted foodbanks (or indeed ANY charity) also provide a culture for criminals to come in and bill their boots with guys like Drew bizarrely freely admitting they are scared to question any "charitable" activity. Presumably they fear being unfriended on Facebook.

Edited by oaksoft

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Because when a new foodbank opens up, it does so without proving a need exists.

They can open up at will.

You and I could open one tomorrow without any fuss or question.

Under those circumstances it is absolutely inevitable that we will have supply driving demand.

Of course you could quash my argument immediately by showing me evidence that you need an approved business case to open a new foodbank in this country and that all existing foodbanks have had to demonstrate a need before opening.

In fact we could end all the argument now by simply bringing in a law which forces foodbanks to prove there is a need for them before allowing them to open.

We are creating a dependency culture which is not a good thing.

Unrestricted foodbanks (or indeed ANY charity) also provide a culture for criminals to come in and bill their boots with guys like Drew bizarrely freely admitting they are scared to question any "charitable" activity. Presumably they fear being unfriended on Facebook.

You know this how?

YOU show evidence that these places aren't needed. 

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You know this how?

YOU show evidence that these places aren't needed. 

Because when we had genuine poverty in this country, we had almost no foodbanks and miraculously I can find no historical evidence of a plague of people dying of starvation on the streets of our proud country. The 1970's and particularly the 1980's are good examples but we had problems decades before that as well with a similar lack of evidence of people dying of starvation in their hundreds of thousands for want of hundreds of foodbanks.

Is there something about this generation which requires hundreds of foodbanks to avoid dying of starvation in the streets when people in the 80's were able to get by?

We have bred a culture of dependency in this country and the result of that has been a stream of entitled snowflakes who simply don't know how to cope with hardship the way our ancestors did in years gone by. You are not seriously going to dispute that are you? :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Because when we had genuine poverty in this country, we had almost no foodbanks and miraculously I can find no historical evidence of a plague of people dying of starvation on the streets of our proud country. The 1970's and particularly the 1980's are good examples but we had problems decades before that as well with a similar lack of evidence of people dying of starvation in their hundreds of thousands for want of hundreds of foodbanks.

Is there something about this generation which requires hundreds of foodbanks to avoid dying of starvation in the streets when people in the 80's were able to get by?

We have bred a culture of dependency in this country and the result of that has been a stream of entitled snowflakes who simply don't know how to cope with hardship the way our ancestors did in years gone by. You are not seriously going to dispute that are you? :lol:

Who said foodbanks are to stop people starving to death, apart from you doing your usual "sensationalism" to try to prove your point?

It's not the 70's or the 80's but isn't is fair to assume that there were many families who had extremely hard times but had make decisions to provide food for their families or heat their homes?

Isn't is a sign that, despite supposed improvements in the system that is designed to help people who are not in an ivory tower like you, there is still a need for additional support?

You have no idea about hard times and you don't even recognise many families, for many reasons, are in need, not needy snowflakes, just decent people who have had bad breaks.

Sure there are some people who probably don't really need this or deserve this help, but to deny there are people who do need and deserve shows you are so removed from another side of life I do pity you, and your family.

Edited by faraway saint

We could debate the merits or otherwise of foosbanks for ever. The point is that they exist. No-one is forced to give. Each of us make a choice. I did, I said so but am not looking for a pat on the back (slightly patronising Oak?) but instead because I felt like sharing the thought with others on the forum.

47 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We live in a society where people should be able to live in relative comfort, regardless of their wealth or social background. You're right to doubt that anyone is close to starvation - but I don't begrudge any family that pop down to a foodbank for a few tins of soup and some boxes of cereal if it helps them get to their next payday, especially when it's like minus 8 outside. 

I doubt anyone wants to admit to going to a foodbank - but if times get tough, it's nice to know that the help is there if you need it.