Foodbank Collection

Drew

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Very well explained . Oaksoft does not get how severe the situation is for some families.  It would do him the world of good to go along and help in a food bank for a day I'm sure he would grasp the situation.  I'm flabbergasted how politicians got away with austerity cuts to those who actually need it the most. Working conditions rules changed by politicians.  I know a woman from Rothesay who worked at Amazon Greenock. She would get the ferry then bus arrived at Amazon to be told she is not needed today. The same nonsense goes on at the vagan sheese factory in Rothesay. Its common for some to get a call later in the afternoon to go work for two hours. Seriously is this 2020 or 1930. 

Actually Oaksoft understands all too well the problem of people taking on too much personal debt through their own fault.

And Ricky's response agreed with me.

Fascinating that both you and he think he posted something different.

I've already posted about zero hour contracts elsewhere.

Perhaps the pair of you should read MY posts before saying daft things.

Edited by oaksoft

Don't think this is really the place for a debate on foodbanks. I made my post in response to wdwb's and added a bit to try to persuade others that the vast, overwhelming majority of donations go to deserving people.

Once again, a fantastic effort from the supporters, well done everyone who chipped in and hopefully I've managed to get some of the doubters to reconsider donating the next time around.

Edited by salmonbuddie

35 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Actually Oaksoft understands all too well the problem of people taking on too much personal debt through their own fault.

The ones I know using the food bank over here who have no loans.  They can pay Bill's, rent now they are truly skint. A lot of them are embarrassed using a food bank. I get people abusing the system now as it means more money. Unfortunately the vast majority are honest. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

You want me to re-read your post and then you simply repeat what I just said - pople have taken on too much debt and no longer budget to save.

Are you competing with TPAK-thingy to see who can post the daftest response to someone?

Hilarious. Thanks. Made my day.. 

25 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The ones I know using the food bank over here who have no loans.  They can pay Bill's, rent now they are truly skint. A lot of them are embarrassed using a food bank. I get people abusing the system now as it means more money. Unfortunately the vast majority are honest. 

The lad doesn't read IOBS. He is also heavily weighed down by self certainty which inhibits his ability to learn. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

The lad doesn't read IOBS. He is also heavily weighed down by self certainty which inhibits his ability to learn. 

Funny I used to get wound up with his view point on this subject. Now I dont I'm guessing he was brought up in a privileged life style sadly cant see beyond his brick wall. 

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Did you bring government economic and financial policies, changes in law, changes in benefits into your simplistic approach? No is the simple answer. Your throwaway one or two liners do you little credit. 

36 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Did you bring government economic and financial policies, changes in law, changes in benefits into your simplistic approach? No is the simple answer. Your throwaway one or two liners do you little credit. 

Which government economic and financial policy forced people to rack up unaffordable personal debt buying cars, houses, flat screen TVs etc?

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Which government economic and financial policy forced people to rack up unaffordable personal debt buying cars, houses, flat screen TVs etc?

A bit of charity oaky most ordinary folk are only 3-6 months away from financial peril if they lose their job and there's potentially another 9,000 clients for the Foodbanks today.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

A bit of charity oaky most ordinary folk are only 3-6 months away from financial peril if they lose their job and there's potentially another 9,000 clients for the Foodbanks today.

Having 3-6 months of backup is exactly what people should be doing so I don't have a problem with that.

Don't agree with a lot of what you post, Oaky. Not that you would give a f**k about that [emoji3]

I think this is a really good post tho. Ahem not that you'd give a f**k about that either.

Tax credits are a f**king nightmare tho, especially for the self-employed. I work in that field so I see the problems every day. Issues with Tax Credits and the immediate ending of Jobseekers Allowance when someone goes self employed can be catastrophic. The much maligned Universal Credit actually mitigates that problem.

Your comment about whether food banks drive want rather than fulfil need may be controversial but I get it. When my clients need to visit a food bank it's almost always down to desperation. However, I recently had a case where a client received a food bank delivery (yes delivery) that he didn't need or ask for

In order to say anything about society we need to fully understand how someone gets into a situation where they need a foodbank in the first place.
Who exactly are you talking about here in this bolded sentence? Are you talking about people in full time jobs?
I can understand the problems faced by those on zero hours contracts and on part time wages but not working enough hours to get tax credits and this includes self employed people. IMO that is the group needing urgent help. Who else are you specifically talking about?
FWIW, I think it is fantastic that we have a society where so many people come together to open and run foodbanks to prevent those who fall through the cracks from starving. I can't understand anyone criticising the idea of them at all. Another debate altogether is how many we need and how we can tell definitively whether opening up a foodbank drives "want" rather than fulfilling "need". 

19 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Have the organisers announced how successful the appeal has been? 

They were going to, in fact I believe they were going to announce it on this very thread.  However they read the hateful, childish, bickering and decided against it.

In other news what I just said was utter pish but dearie me the f**ktards are in full swing, the f**ktards are in full swing indeed.

7 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

They were going to, in fact I believe they were going to announce it on this very thread.  However they read the hateful, childish, bickering and decided against it.

In other news what I just said was utter pish but dearie me the f**ktards are in full swing, the f**ktards are in full swing indeed.

My position is quite clear. They exist and serve an increasing need. I'm happy to support it. 

On 9/23/2019 at 9:18 PM, gilberto said:

Don't agree with a lot of what you post, Oaky. Not that you would give a f**k about that emoji3.png

I think this is a really good post tho. Ahem not that you'd give a f**k about that either.

Tax credits are a f**king nightmare tho, especially for the self-employed. I work in that field so I see the problems every day. Issues with Tax Credits and the immediate ending of Jobseekers Allowance when someone goes self employed can be catastrophic. The much maligned Universal Credit actually mitigates that problem.

Your comment about whether food banks drive want rather than fulfil need may be controversial but I get it. When my clients need to visit a food bank it's almost always down to desperation. However, I recently had a case where a client received a food bank delivery (yes delivery) that he didn't need or ask for

Yeah I think you understand me more than most. :D

If you think tax credits are a problem for the self employed then you've got a shock coming when minimum earnings in order to qualify for UC are introduced.

The other difference is that savings are taken into account for UC but are, quite correctly, irrelevant for Tax Credits. For those who have their pension saved up as a lump sum in a savings account, this is disastrous.

UC doesn't really mitigate anything.