Foodbank Collection

Drew

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Because when we had genuine poverty in this country, we had almost no foodbanks and miraculously I can find no historical evidence of a plague of people dying of starvation on the streets of our proud country. The 1970's and particularly the 1980's are good examples but we had problems decades before that as well with a similar lack of evidence of people dying of starvation in their hundreds of thousands for want of hundreds of foodbanks.

Is there something about this generation which requires hundreds of foodbanks to avoid dying of starvation in the streets when people in the 80's were able to get by?

We have bred a culture of dependency in this country and the result of that has been a stream of entitled snowflakes who simply don't know how to cope with hardship the way our ancestors did in years gone by. You are not seriously going to dispute that are you? :lol:

Oh dear, give it up seriously.  

7 hours ago, Doakes said:

We live in a society where people should be able to live in relative comfort, regardless of their wealth or social background. You're right to doubt that anyone is close to starvation - but I don't begrudge any family that pop down to a foodbank for a few tins of soup and some boxes of cereal if it helps them get to their next payday, especially when it's like minus 8 outside. 

I doubt anyone wants to admit to going to a foodbank - but if times get tough, it's nice to know that the help is there if you need it. 

Like I said, on the whole they are a good thing.

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Who said foodbanks are to stop people starving to death, apart from you doing your usual "sensationalism" to try to prove your point?

It's not the 70's or the 80's but isn't is fair to assume that there were many families who had extremely hard times but had make decisions to provide food for their families or heat their homes?

Isn't is a sign that, despite supposed improvements in the system that is designed to help people who are not in an ivory tower like you, there is still a need for additional support?

You have no idea about hard times and you don't even recognise many families, for many reasons, are in need, not needy snowflakes, just decent people who have had bad breaks.

Sure there are some people who probably don't really need this or deserve this help, but to deny there are people who do need and deserve shows you are so removed from another side of life I do pity you, and your family.

With respect you know nothing about me, my family or what lifestyles I have experienced other than the fact that I grew up amongst the type of people who need this sort of support on a regular basis.

Society can never eliminate the problem you are describing. You can give these people millions of pounds and they will be back on the breadline within months. 20 years of lottery winners has taught us that.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

With respect you know nothing about me, my family or what lifestyles I have experienced other than the fact that I grew up amongst the type of people who need this sort of support on a regular basis.

Society can never eliminate the problem you are describing. You can give these people millions of pounds and they will be back on the breadline within months. 20 years of lottery winners has taught us that.

What I do know is you come across as an arrogant cnut who has no empathy or understanding of a section of society who are in need.

You focus on a small minority and use that to back up your view people are all needy and are all incapable of helping themselves.

You then ignore many of the points that disprove your narrow minded views and veer off topic.

Aye, you're right, I don't know you, nobody wants to know you as you are socially inept and quite why you joined a football forum, apart from trying to come across as better than everyone else, is astonishing as you have no real interest in football, sport or anything, apart from yourself.

In oak’s defence, there are people who take the piss out of the benefits/foodbank system, and we’ll never be able to stop that happening. But Scottish figures show that around 60%** (from the top of my head) of people who use food banks, are actually working on a regular basis - but sometimes need a wee bit of extra help. 

Worrying thing for me is that a lot of corporations are going towards self service, meaning a lot of better paying jobs are being done digitally. To give you an example, I work for an insurance company - we’ve spent a load of money and time building a new self service system, knowing full well a lot of our jobs will no longer be needed when it comes in. If that’s replicated across the industry, you’ve suddenly got thousands of people accepting lower paying jobs, while we look for something that pays better, with no guarantee of finding anything. Still got to have food on the table so a foodbank could help people in that situation, if things get desperate. 

9 minutes ago, Doakes said:

In oak’s defence, there are people who take the piss out of the benefits/foodbank system, and we’ll never be able to stop that happening. But Scottish figures show that around 60%** (from the top of my head) of people who use food banks, are actually working on a regular basis - but sometimes need a wee bit of extra help. 

Worrying thing for me is that a lot of corporations are going towards self service, meaning a lot of better paying jobs are being done digitally. To give you an example, I work for an insurance company - we’ve spent a load of money and time building a new self service system, knowing full well a lot of our jobs will no longer be needed when it comes in. If that’s replicated across the industry, you’ve suddenly got thousands of people accepting lower paying jobs, while we look for something that pays better, with no guarantee of finding anything. Still got to have food on the table so a foodbank could help people in that situation, if things get desperate. 

I already mentioned this but Oaky doesn't recognise any other point of view but his own.

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

The Royal Bank is the perfect example. There is a guy in the Royal in Rothesay who has three children who the Royal gave a mortgage to two weeks before notifying him he will be paid off that the branch will be closed. Being a Royal customer over here received a letter explaining if I wanted to bank money for the business account then the Largs branch had a late night safe for use. No understanding Bute is a bloody Island. All this by a public owned company is a scandal. 

People will have seen the news about the fire at Cameron House Hotel this week.  A tregedy in which two young men lost their lives.

My daughter works there - one of 400 employees, mostly from the local area, and almost all in low paid jobs, many with no formal contract. Fortunately, my daughter doesn't entirely rely on her income from the hotel. She's at uni and works there whilst staying at home. She will have a roof over her head, a warm home, and food on the table.

Not everyone who won't be working following the fire - possibly for several months - is in that position. Folk with rent, mortgages, and other bills to pay, and families to look after. All at a difficult time of the year.

This is the reality that people all too often find themselves in.  I sure they would much rather never have to even consider using a foodbank, but are glad that there is that safety net available if their situation calls for it.

It serves the rest of us well not to lose sight of these realities.  There but for fortune, etc (aye, there's another cliché, Oaksoft - chew on it, sunshine!).

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I already mentioned this but Oaky doesn't recognise any other point of view but his own.

His view appears to be that the facilities shouldn't exist as that will stop people from abusing them. Those that actually need it can whistle for all he cares. He is both out of touch and out of empathy.

8 hours ago, Doakes said:

If people are working full time and still regularly using foodbanks then they need help budgeting.

Your concern about the future is well founded but we have lived with this fear for hundreds of years. If you look at records there were fears about cheap labour in India killing off our textile industry. We have found ways of retaining employment though.

Edited by oaksoft

6 hours ago, Drew said:

People will have seen the news about the fire at Cameron House Hotel this week.  A tregedy in which two young men lost their lives.

My daughter works there - one of 400 employees, mostly from the local area, and almost all in low paid jobs, many with no formal contract. Fortunately, my daughter doesn't entirely rely on her income from the hotel. She's at uni and works there whilst staying at home. She will have a roof over her head, a warm home, and food on the table.

Not everyone who won't be working following the fire - possibly for several months - is in that position. Folk with rent, mortgages, and other bills to pay, and families to look after. All at a difficult time of the year.

This is the reality that people all too often find themselves in.  I sure they would much rather never have to even consider using a foodbank, but are glad that there is that safety net available if their situation calls for it.

It serves the rest of us well not to lose sight of these realities.  There but for fortune, etc (aye, there's another cliché, Oaksoft - chew on it, sunshine!).

Not sure what you want me to chew on as I have repeatedly said that foodbanks are great for this sort of short term problem.

Calm yourself down and read what people are talking about.

5 hours ago, Soctty said:

His view appears to be that the facilities shouldn't exist as that will stop people from abusing them. Those that actually need it can whistle for all he cares. He is both out of touch and out of empathy.

Where did I say ANY of that FFS? :lol:

I dont know how many times I need to say that foodbanks are a good thing.

Do you need everything repeated to you 12 times before you hear it? :blink:

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Not sure what you want me to chew on as I have repeatedly said that foodbanks are great for this sort of short term problem.

Calm yourself down and read what people are talking about.

The cliché reference, you plum.

40 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Where did I say ANY of that FFS? :lol:

I dont know how many times I need to say that foodbanks are a good thing.

Do you need everything repeated to you 12 times before you hear it? :blink:

Your words say one thing, your attitude conveys a totally different attitude. Everything will be fine, and if some people suffer or die, then that's fine as well because people suffered and died in the past you know.

Thankfully I can't hear you as I'm reading your words on a phone, but I can read between the lines and see that you're not the sort of person I'd ever like to rely on for anything.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

If people are working full time and still regularly using foodbanks then they need help budgeting.

Your concern about the future is well founded but we have lived with this fear for hundreds of years. If you look at records there were fears about cheap labour in India killing off our textile industry. We have found ways of retaining employment though.

Correct by getting things made in China. Unlike Germany who kept there industrial building the UK economy is today 80% services.  

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Your words say one thing, your attitude conveys a totally different attitude. Everything will be fine, and if some people suffer or die, then that's fine as well because people suffered and died in the past you know.

Thankfully I can't hear you as I'm reading your words on a phone, but I can read between the lines and see that you're not the sort of person I'd ever like to rely on for anything.

Another of his traits, squirms out when, clearly, he's indicating a totally bawbag of a view. 

Repeatedly saying "Oh, but, I said food banks are good" doesn't cover the rest of his nonsense.