St Mirren V ICT 6th Jan 2018

Thought we played pretty well today and more than merited the win against a half decent Caley team. 

Biggest surprise of the day for me was the performance of the ref . Thought he was non fussy and let the game flow (seriously) . Anyone any idea who he was ? 

I thought everyone was tremendous today. Just a couple I'll single out - personally I'd have given Stelios the MoM today, thought that literally one or two passes aside he was outstanding. And Baird, who in my opinion has been our most improved player this season, he was very composed and in control at the back. The only gripes I'd have today are the decision making in the final third, which was suspect throughout, and the lull for 15 minutes at the start of the second half where we stopped closing down quickly and were too static. The majority of the game we were excellent.

57 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I thought Magennis going into middle for last 15 really shored us up and made us much stronger side. Magennis was box to box and has a real dig in him, way better player in that role than Mcshane who although a decent player is a bit lightweight IMO. Magennis offers us much more and is wasted out wide. Mullen coming on up beside Reilly makes Reilly more effective also as it gives him someone to play off. Would like to see just a bit more from Mullen but can see he's been out for a while and needs time.

Magennis for me is the next big export from St Mirren and for me he has the potential to be the best of the lot.

I'd start with the same team that finished next week with Eckersely in for Stelios if fit. 

I don't think Eckersley should walk back into the team. Stelios has been very good indeed, and deserves to keep his place until Eckersley manages to shift him for whatever reason.

I admit to having my doubts about Stelios' temperament after the daft red card he picked up, but he has been very solid and a threat going forward since coming back in. Indeed, his attitude has been spot on. Very unlucky not to score a scorcher today.

Eckersley has been great recently, but shouldn't be the default in the position. Let's be honest, though, it's a good position to be in.

Guest TPAFKATS
I thought everyone was tremendous today. Just a couple I'll single out - personally I'd have given Stelios the MoM today, thought that literally one or two passes aside he was outstanding. And Baird, who in my opinion has been our most improved player this season, he was very composed and in control at the back. The only gripes I'd have today are the decision making in the final third, which was suspect throughout, and the lull for 15 minutes at the start of the second half where we stopped closing down quickly and were too static. The majority of the game we were excellent.
Agreed, although I thought McGennis just pipped Baird for MOTM.

6 points clear yet I'm struggling to remember a recent game where we have put in a great performance. Hoping this is our dip this season.

I thought we were good today. A few ropey moments at times, but we were worth the win, and Samson did what he needed to do. He's a great keeper at this level.

My one gripe was that towards the end there were at least two occasions we hit long range shots straight at the keeper, one from Morgan, one from Mullen, both in the last ten minutes. I get that we are an attacking team and want to score goals, but there is a time and a place. Both times the opportunity was there to just move the ball on and keep it in the opposition half instead of putting it in the goalkeepers hands to launch it up to that big striker who I thought played really well and had and absolutely fantastic tussle with Davies.

McGinn was man of the match for me. Controlled the game from start to finish. Davies and Reilly close behind him.

I thought that was a really enjoyable game and on another day if we had played a better final ball we could have scored one or two more. A very open game and very end to end.

I still don't think we have still quite hit the heights of last season which is very exciting. I think that is because Mallan is missing from the middle of the park. The idea of replacing McGennis with McShane and having Mullen drafted into starting 11 could be an option to use in future games as McGennis is more box to box as people have said.

Sammy had very important saves and kept us in the game as a one goal lead is always precarious.

I thought Baird was brilliant again today, as was Davis. Stelios showed today what an asset he is to this side despite many claiming he has limited defensive attributes. He can defend well when required and is an asset going forward.

Reilly is a goal machine and incredible to be sitting on 20 so early in January. Talk of Motherwell sniffing around him with the money from Moult to spend and the need to stop their rapid slide down the table. A big decision for Reilly and St Mirren if Motherwell or someone else come calling in January. Hope he stays as he will have plenty of decent offers in the summer if he keeps up this form.

Sat in family stand today and to see close up in the second half how easily Morgan was gliding by players just a few yards from the touchline was memorable. This guy will blossom at Celtic under Rodgers and playing with better players. Exciting times to see Morgan play for the buds.

Despite having watched us play Dumbarton I might try and wangle a pass to the game next week.

United hit for six and saints top of the table six points clear is very pleasing.

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

I thought Magennis going into middle for last 15 really shored us up and made us much stronger side. Magennis was box to box and has a real dig in him, way better player in that role than Mcshane who although a decent player is a bit lightweight IMO. Magennis offers us much more and is wasted out wide. Mullen coming on up beside Reilly makes Reilly more effective also as it gives him someone to play off. Would like to see just a bit more from Mullen but can see he's been out for a while and needs time.

Magennis for me is the next big export from St Mirren and for me he has the potential to be the best of the lot.

I'd start with the same team that finished next week with Eckersely in for Stelios if fit. 

Stelios done no wrong today, he came very close to scoring our second.

11 minutes ago, pod said:

Never said he did do anything wrong but we need our stongest and best players on the field every week and Eckersley is one of them. Eckersley is better player all round than Stelios and I'm sure Jack will have him back when fit.

Stelios is a great example of what a squad is all about but Eckersley is the man !

As well as having a great Refereeing performance..........

Willie Collum .... :clapping

‎Roddy Mcmillan‎ to St Mirren FC Fans

4 hrs · 

WILLIE COLLUM TODAYS REFEREE ..

I just thought I’d tell you what Willie did today with the four Saints mascots. 
As you probably know I look after our match day mascots , a job I have loved doing now for over 30 years. 
Most referees say hello to the boys and girls who are mascots and leading out the teams. 
Today Willie said to me ‘bring them in to the dressing room’.
When the four boys walked in Willie and the assistant refs said hello to them and them Willie brought out a bag and said to the boys , ‘ this is from the European games I have refereed , chose something ‘.
The boys were delighted and each got a momento of the day to keep .
Willie often does that with the mascots. 
Just thought I’d let you know how kind a man he is .
By the way , I thought he had a good game today !

Baird and Samson were our best 2 players today.  1st half we were certainly the best team and should have had a bigger lead. 2nd half I thought we really rode our luck a few times and were lucky not to lose a goal. Only minor complaint is our players wanting to play an extra pass when in the penalty box instead of having a shot on goal. All in all a good day for the club :clapping

25 minutes ago, pod said:

I thought Stelios had a wonderful first half and was very unlucky not to score but when Mulraney came on he struggled to cope with his pace.  A fantastic squad player but a fit Ekersley starts in front of him. Some outstanding performaces today, and 5 or 6 players who could have been MoM.

McGinn ran the show but Inverness let him get his head up and gave him time on the ball especially in the first half. That's asking for trouble as he has real quality.

Magennis is now getting back to the form and fitness he showed during the great escape and would not have argued with anyone making him MoM. 

Jack Baird did not put a foot wrong and was certainly a MoM contender, Davies continues to improve with every match, and if there is a better right back in the division than Smith I have not seen him yet.

Morgan, Smith and Reilly are perpetual motion and will give any defence problems. 

We are not 6 points clear at the top for nothing you know!! :D

In another thread I questioned Dundee Uniteds bottle and with presure mounting on them I think this could become a factor. The majority of this team, and the management, handled enormous pressure during the great escape and although there will be bad days at the office between now and the end of the season I think in terms of guts, character and bottle we have a big advantage over United.

COYS!!