St Mirren V ICT 6th Jan 2018

Three points, and a clean sheet... we're on our way!

today that gap in midfield was exposed time and again as Ict counter attacked at will, perhaps lacking skill. Just hope Ross either is close to a signing to slot in there, or sticks a fit Gary Irvine in there to shore us up. McShane fell back to his old, mainly anonymous ways again.

Guest TPAFKATS
As well as having a great Refereeing performance..........
Willie Collum .... :clapping
‎Roddy Mcmillan‎ to St Mirren FC Fans
4 hrs · 
WILLIE COLLUM TODAYS REFEREE ..
I just thought I’d tell you what Willie did today with the four Saints mascots. 
As you probably know I look after our match day mascots , a job I have loved doing now for over 30 years. 
Most referees say hello to the boys and girls who are mascots and leading out the teams. 
Today Willie said to me ‘bring them in to the dressing room’.
When the four boys walked in Willie and the assistant refs said hello to them and them Willie brought out a bag and said to the boys , ‘ this is from the European games I have refereed , chose something ‘.
The boys were delighted and each got a momento of the day to keep .
Willie often does that with the mascots. 
Just thought I’d let you know how kind a man he is .
By the way , I thought he had a good game today !

Did one of the mascots choose wullie's yellow and red cards by mistake [emoji848]

35 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Three points, and a clean sheet... we're on our way!

today that gap in midfield was exposed time and again as Ict counter attacked at will, perhaps lacking skill. Just hope Ross either is close to a signing to slot in there, or sticks a fit Gary Irvine in there to shore us up. McShane fell back to his old, mainly anonymous ways again.

i agree 100% on McShane but Magennis changed that completely when he moved to midfield. We got right back on top of Inverness and pushed them back for last 15. They had the odd break but overall we dominated last 15. McShane is the weaklink in midfield. Decent player but if we are to win the league he needs to be on the bench

Edited by lenziebud

A 1-0 scoreline made the game look close but we were streets ahead of ICT. Totally outplayed them in the first half with some lovely football. But we have to change from the Arsenal style of football to the Man City style and stop trying to walk the ball into the net. Sammy saved our bacon in the second half with some fine saves but we created far more openings in their defence but simply refused to shoot. I think Liam Smith is a great attacking full-back but please Liam have a shot when you in the penalty box directly in front of goal.

Great performances from everyone. Special mention to Stelios. I thought his days were numbered after the red card incident but he has been superb in defence and offers a great attacking option. The workrate of Cammy Smith is incredible but MoM for me was Captain McGinn. And Davis is without doubt the best defender in this League and would walk into most Premiership defences.

13 minutes ago, Sonny said:

A 1-0 scoreline made the game look close but we were streets ahead of ICT. Totally outplayed them in the first half with some lovely football. But we have to change from the Arsenal style of football to the Man City style and stop trying to walk the ball into the net. Sammy saved our bacon in the second half with some fine saves but we created far more openings in their defence but simply refused to shoot. I think Liam Smith is a great attacking full-back but please Liam have a shot when you in the penalty box directly in front of goal.

Great performances from everyone. Special mention to Stelios. I thought his days were numbered after the red card incident but he has been superb in defence and offers a great attacking option. The workrate of Cammy Smith is incredible but MoM for me was Captain McGinn. And Davis is without doubt the best defender in this League and would walk into most Premiership defences.

By all accounts, like you suggest, we should have slaughtered them.

A 1-0 scoreline is always a worry as it only takes one bit of luck, or decent play, and it's 1-1 but the important thing for me is we're playing really well overall.

Someone will get a thumping soon IMO and it could be next week, although I might prefer if it's Aberdeen. 

Edited by faraway saint

Another good day at the office. Thought McGinn was the man.  The McGinn spin  was played to perfection today.  He always takes  the ball and spins around before charging off or laying on a pass. Thought he was MOM  but great to see so many different opinions.  The whole team were excellent. 

I met one of the players  close relatives  on the train home who said the players deserved extra credit because a flu bug had been doing the rounds and only 6 players took training on Thursday as a result.  If true, that may explain the lethargic second halves in the past two games.  If that's the case things can only get better when the whole team gets back to their peak.

From my seat I had a perfect view of the postage stamp and if that  Stellios shot had went in that would have been Goal of the season. What an effort.

Well that's my spin on it.

See you next week at Dumbarton

McGinn was top man yesterday. Would be great to see some footage of the ICT claimed goal yesterday. We were sitting in line with the goals and it looked as if ICT might have had a decent shout.
Samson made some incredible saves yesterday but he seemed to go to sleep for 10 minutes around that incident.

1 hour ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Another good day at the office. Thought McGinn was the man.  The McGinn spin  was played to perfection today.  He always takes  the ball and spins around before charging off or laying on a pass. Thought he was MOM  but great to see so many different opinions.  The whole team were excellent. 

I met one of the players  close relatives  on the train home who said the players deserved extra credit because a flu bug had been doing the rounds and only 6 players took training on Thursday as a result.  If true, that may explain the lethargic second halves in the past two games.  If that's the case things can only get better when the whole team gets back to their peak.

From my seat I had a perfect view of the postage stamp and if that  Stellios shot had went in that would have been Goal of the season. What an effort.

Well that's my spin on it.

See you next week at Dumbarton

Agree. :thumbs2

McGinn was top man yesterday. Would be great to see some footage of the ICT claimed goal yesterday. We were sitting in line with the goals and it looked as if ICT might have had a decent shout.

Samson made some incredible saves yesterday but he seemed to go to sleep for 10 minutes around that incident.

He was probably tired reading all the pish Shull write's about him so went for a 10 minute nap. No harm done still kept a clean sheet.

In the end a deserved win and we controlled much of the game but it's still a concern that we seem to be playing well in fits and starts. Not as bad as recent games but it's still present. I know you can't expect to play well for a full ninety but that's the time you need a strong resilient midfield. We seem to give that area up at those times. Man of the match? For the importance of the big save and his all round performance. Samson shades it. A reflection of the way we played, when we played, is that more than half the team have someone voting for them.

40 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

He was probably tired reading all the pish Shull write's about him so went for a 10 minute nap. No harm done still kept a clean sheet.

Pep talks. 

I actually think he is reading and learning. 

The punch he refused on Tuesday, he did yesterday, to magnificent effect. 

Still room for improvement. 

Guest TPAFKATS
I was looking diagonally across from more or less behind the linesman. I thought it was a decent claim as well. My opinion may have been affected by the scooping motion of samsons claw which went way behind the line to start with.
I'd certainly have been shouting for if had been Ridgers.

The linesman couldn't give it though as he wasn't standing around the corner flag looking across. He was at least 10 metres up the field from the defenders when the ball was crossed.

Great result!!!

AND- Wee Robbo didn't disappoint- what a fanny- " the linesman was right not to give a goal"- Eh what goal. Its a bit diff when the ball comes off the underside of the bar and then clearly is in from Sammy clawing the ball away, I am pretty def that the ball was on the line and not all of it over it, but in Robbos mind they had a goal not given?

In his head they are Top of League, talk about delusional. Wish we played them every weeks played 3 Won 3 9 Pts 7 goals, thanks Robbo look forward to our next match, which under is stewardship will def be his last match 

23 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

So far on this thread we have had MOTM calls for Baird, Davis, Stelios, Smith , McGinn , Magennis & Samson & Reilly got the official MOTM.
That can’t be right , we are a one man team ! emoji6.png

And the papers said we played badly , always a good sign when so many players played well . I thought it was a good game , similar to the last game we played against them , with both teams creating chances , but leaving themselves open . Would be quite happy with us signing Liam Polworth