Dumbarton. 13 jan

guinness

Dumbarton are no pushovers as our last game against then showed. The ex saints players in their team will be fired up once more.

Would love to see us get a clear win across there and move on to what should be an exciting close to January with the cup game in Aberdeen and the Away Friday Evening Fixture against Dunfermline.  A run in the cup would be a bonus but the Championship is what this season is about surely.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Dumbarton are no pushovers as our last game against then showed. The ex saints players in their team will be fired up once more.

Would love to see us get a clear win across there and move on to what should be an exciting close to January with the cup game in Aberdeen and the Away Friday Evening Fixture against Dunfermline.  A run in the cup would be a bonus but the Championship is what this season is about surely.

Really? 

Won a grand total of 4 games all season, lost 8 and conceded 26, aye, 26 goals 19 games.

They've won 2 games at home this season, scoring a massive 7 goals in 10 games. 

If we struggle against a team that's 3rd bottom then there's something wrong.

Thank feck the manager doesn't have this sort of defeatist attitude or we'd be fcuked. 

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Really? 

Won a grand total of 4 games all season, lost 8 and conceded 26, aye, 26 goals 19 games.

Thank feck the manager doesn't have this sort of defeatist attitude or we'd be fcuked. 

No defeatism in there at all. What is in there is respect for the opposition. 

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Really? 

Am I only imagining that one of the games won was at Greenhill Road?

26 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

No defeatism in there at all. What is in there is respect for the opposition. 

Aye, ok..............JR's team talk..............

"Look lads, we're playing a team that have lost 3, drew 2 of their last 5 games so let's go out and hammer them".

A player pipes up........."Aye boss but they're no pushovers"

JR............"You're drapped!" 

I think we'll be really up for this one for 2 reasons....They beat us at St Mirren Park so we'll want payback for that and we'll have had a full week in between games so the energy levels shouldn't drop like they did against Morton.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

There's no easy game in this league, and we'll have to be on our game to get the 3pts in this one. Dumbarton are well organised and defend resolutely, but I fully expect us to get the win. 

I wonder if we'll have a couple of new additions to the team in time for Saturday? If we do , I'd imagine they won't go straight into the starting lineup. 

Saints win 3-0

Edited by munoz

I think we need to mix things up against this mob... I might even start with Sutton and punt balls in for the first 30 minutes or so... they wont expect that

No easy games - come on ....   if we start with that kind of attitude and add in "boggy team crap" we can concede the points before we even kick a ball.

They have a load of our old "has beens"  OK Their manager is decent and organises them well. They beat us.. that should be incentive for revenge....(we could be 9 points ahead of Utd if we have won that game)   The stats don't lie - they are there for the taking if we play as we are able to..

Secret is to get ahead and they will struggle to sit in.. once we go 2 ahead the 3rd will come and then the fourth....

Dumbarton 0   v   4   St. Mirren      goals from  Smith,  Magennis, Stelios and Mullen      At least one an assist by McShane as usual...

The pathway to regret and failure lies in not taking the opposition seriously and so disrespecting them. I can't imagine JR or these players doing that. Does this mean that you need to go into the game with fear ...not at all. I make no apologies for stating the obvious  .  We lost to them recently!  If that is not enough to warrant caution,  then I don't know what would.

Do I hope for a win? Do I have confidence in the manager and team to deliver one? Yes I do. I guess that's why I an spending the money on travel and a ticket.

45 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I think we need to mix things up against this mob... I might even start with Sutton and punt balls in for the first 30 minutes or so... they wont expect that

No easy games - come on ....   if we start with that kind of attitude and add in "boggy team crap" we can concede the points before we even kick a ball.

They have a load of our old "has beens"  OK Their manager is decent and organises them well. They beat us.. that should be incentive for revenge....(we could be 9 points ahead of Utd if we have won that game)   The stats don't lie - they are there for the taking if we play as we are able to..

Secret is to get ahead and they will struggle to sit in.. once we go 2 ahead the 3rd will come and then the fourth....

Dumbarton 0   v   4   St. Mirren      goals from  Smith,  Magennis, Stelios and Mullen      At least one an assist by McShane as usual...

They might have been our "boggy" team before they moved ground. Every team in this league, and I include Brechin as they, by all accounts, have been unfortunate in some of their earlier games,  are capable of beating every other team. We are top of the league so we will be classed as a big scalp. They have a couple of Saints' rejects who will be determined to prove a point. I do agree if we score early then the game could pan out comfortably but the players and management know this is historically a banana skin for the Buddies. Simply put. If we play as we can for 90 odd minutes we should come out on top.

With us having played more games than every other clubs in the league, it will be good for the players to have a full week to prepare for this game. Hopefully our good away record will continue with an other win.
And they have an extra day off this week too. Good management all round.

Our last defeat was against this lot but since then we've got 16/18 points against 2/15 for them. If we play to the top end of our ability we will win, but then I said the same last month. :fishwallop

Add to this our poor H2H record against them since we came down and there really is no room for complacency. As JR has said in recent match interviews it's about our belief in our ability and imposing our strategy on them.

One worry is Stelios who is currently in good form but whose sending off cost us in the last H2H - screw the heid big man, and as ever -  COYS!

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Our last defeat was against this lot but since then we've got 16/18 points against 2/15 for them. If we play to the top end of our ability we will win, but then I said the same last month. :fishwallop

Add to this our poor H2H record against them since we came down and there really is no room for complacency. As JR has said in recent match interviews it's about our belief in our ability and imposing our strategy on them.

One worry is Stelios who is currently in good form but whose sending off cost us in the last H2H - screw the heid big man, and as ever -  COYS!

Stelios is professional enough to know that the best way to repay for his error the last time is to play his best and if he gets a decent chance, score against them.

Teams like Dumbarton will try to sit in against us and hit us on the break... we need to be set up to break their system...(I think that means we need to avoid being one dimensional and predictable). Walsh was given too much space last time... and our midfield were playing their normal modus operandi. So Dumbarton's system exposed our weaknesses.. now surely JR has enough experience and wisdom to have learned enough to have a plan for this time?

Dumbarton are not a great team and yes on any day teams in this division could beat any other... but Brechin haven't managed it once and Dumbarton have only managed to do that 4 times - while we have done that 14 times..

Surely belief is readily available after seeing the Utd score on Saturday...and our 16/18 points recently....

Last 2 games we have started fairly well, but fell away - when we dip we need to mix it up with good subs... or score plenty early on and then sit and break up their efforts...

We could be 9 or 7 points ahead after this one.........