Dumbarton. 13 jan

guinness

10 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

So far ahead in the first half it was 0-0?

We adapted after the break. We definitely went far more direct at the start of the second half, aiming for balls in behind the defence rather than the midfield constantly having possession.

Let's face it we played an incredibly poor Dumbarton team and didn't play all that well. We won that's all that really matters, but there's definitely room for improvement, in the first half and just slaughtering teams.

I suppose it's all about opinions.

I disagree that we changed it in the second half. We scored within a couple of minutes into the second half. That meant that Dumbarton actually had to try and score. We didn't change our tactics, as our manager stated in his post match interview (but I suppose you know better :rolleyes:), we just got more space due to them not being able to sit in as much.

Of course we could have been better, but we were never poor at any point in the game.

I suppose it's all about opinions.
I disagree that we changed it in the second half. We scored within a couple of minutes into the second half. That meant that Dumbarton actually had to try and score. We didn't change our tactics, as our manager stated in his post match interview (but I suppose you know better :rolleyes:), we just got more space due to them not being able to sit in as much.
Of course we could have been better, but we were never poor at any point in the game.
Not at all, it looked we we actually played much more direct, by-passed the midfield and let them pick up the second ball straight after the break. Which led to Smiths header from a good Stelios cross, one of the first of the game.

Maybe I've just become too accustomed to us playing well, it was much more second half Morton to second half against Utd for me. A very much must do better against the 'bigger' teams of the division and against Aberdeen next week.

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Crowd given as 1652.  Capacity is 2025. Where could the other 373 people be fitted in to the ground I ask.

It has always been a bit of a shit hole of a stadium , if you are not eaten alive by midges then there is no where to f**kin sit in an all seater stadium. .

. .anyway we won comfortably on the road , the 'ton got horsed by the second bottom Flawdkit and Dundee Divided could only manage a no-score draw against Dungvermin. .

. .Carlsberg don't do Paisley Saint Mirren weekends etc. .

COYS

2 hours ago, gc_SMFC said:

An incredibly poor first half that can't be excused. We were equally as poor as Dumbarton.

We stepped up slightly in the second, however I worry about how we again turned off when we went ahead, something that hurt us against Morton, and could do so again.

Reilly was incredibly wasteful in front of goal, and i thought Mullen should have been on earlier.

Still feel a bit harsh complaining about a 2-0 victory, but I want to see us perform and entire 90 minutes, we don't want to bottle this.

Two goals, three points, a clean sheet and you want more.  Behave. :P

Just watched the interview with Cammy Smith on Buddievision.

What a level-headed lad. Like so many of the players, he just seems to be loving his football just now, and that is key to keeping the momentum going. JR recently commented on the fact that we bounce back from defeats, and having guys like Cammy who are clearly focused and committed to the cause is just tremendous.

I've always raved about Smith and he impresses me more with each game. We are incredibly fortunate to have him.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I too was decanted to the away end today. Was a quite disgraceful display of complete disinterest and lethargic stewarding all around. With the extra money that Dumbarton FC took from us today, you expect the stewarding to be not only professional but at least semi-competent. Today was neither of these things.

They were happy to skin us extra money to captialise on a large travelling support but maintained the same level of unorganised, unprofessional dross that presumably stewards a crowd of two men and a dug every week.

I think the club must also take the blame. In the past our club have bent over backwards to accommodate large away supports in our home stands (much to the majority's annoyance) to make extra money.  Dumbarton could have easily shifted their support along a bit because there were plenty of empty seats in the away end. You are right though their dealings with our supporters that were without seats through no fault of their own was very sweety wife-like.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

What a level-headed lad. Like so many of the players, he just seems to be loving his football just now, and that is key to keeping the momentum going. JR recently commented on the fact that we bounce back from defeats, and having guys like Cammy who are clearly focused and committed to the cause is just tremendous.

I've always raved about Smith and he impresses me more with each game. We are incredibly fortunate to have him.

If we go onto win this league just like we went onto win the cup then I believe the samson penalty save against united  was a big turning point and a game changer just like it was in the semi final against Celtic.....

We are on our way....

1 minute ago, JJ McG said:

If we go onto win this league just like we went onto win the cup then I believe the samson penalty save against united  was a big turning point and a game changer just like it was in the semi final against Celtic.....

We are on our way....

I said that immediately after it happened! Not just a GAME changer - potentially a CLUB (future) changer)!

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

My issue is less about price though than it was about the lax, uninterested stewarding. It was lazy from stewards and the easy option to go 'aye, just sit anywhere', because actually seating people in seats would require doing some work.

I'm really not a 'this is my seat and I bought it' type of person or one for budging folk so I was OK with going across but I'm afraid that if you know you're selling out an allocation, to capacity you have to be prepared that everyone is in their correct seat and organise it efficiently. Basic health and safety. You wouldn't go to a gig or on a flight and accept that sort of nonsense, so why should a part time rent a steward mob be held to any lesser standards or less accountable? Also, not a sleight on anyone who was sitting in an incorrect seat....this was a direct instruction from those running the operation so obviously you're going to secure a preferred seat. Had they run it professionally, then people would have went to allocated seating without any issue like we manage to do in every other match.

I am the same i'm not interested in making a big deal of who was sitting in our allocated seats but getting told by a steward that "i'll sit where i'm told" doesn't wash with me i'm afraid... someone with a tiny amount of sense must have suggested moving us to the away end because i was willing to be asked to leave as a matter of principal rather than find the two non existant seats  we were being told to find.... amateur outfit punching above their weight is what Dumbarton FC is.

4 hours ago, Yardley said:

We had comps so had to sit amongst the home support.  When we scored we naturally jumped out our seat to celebrate, much to some of the locals displeasure!!

Great team performance from start to finish.  McGinn MOTM for me with a brilliant captains performance.  He was getting a lot of stick from the home support for a nothing incident between him and Dowie so it was great to get it right round them when he curled in that 2nd.

Out of respect to the Dumbarton fans we didn't celebrate our goals, i went there to watch football not fight with away fans which could have happened. We were right along at their end not even near the middle.

4 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Dont know about the poor 1st half for both teams. I though us and Dumbarton knocked the ball about pretty well considering the pitch was heavy and slippy. Could argue that apart from the final product we both had a decent 1st half.

Agree about Reilly, he seemed too desperate to turn and shoot on at least 3 occasions with his back to goal. Felt a bit sorry for Mullen. I hope he can get his first goal soon and get a bit of confidence. A few fans being a bit harsh on him when he lost the ball. Just never worked today for him. It will come.

ETA- i really enjoyed the game.

Agreed. I couldn't believe some of the stick he was getting. He badly needs a goal for confidence I think.

That was a great performance today at a very tough ground on the worst playing surface I have seen for a while. I'm struggling to understand GC_SMFC points about the first half.Up until the the final 3rd we were miles ahead and never in any danger of losing that game.

A lot of people talking about the goals(and quite rightly) but I want to mention the cross from Stelios from the first, Absolutely perfect and a strikers dream. The 2nd was a terrific finish by easily the best player on the park for me in McGinn followed by a terrific celebration.

Lastly I want to mention the fun I had watching the 3 bitter rejects Walsh, Hutton and Carswell resort to kicking our players after chasing shadows for the majority, how Carswell wasn't sent off for his i'll never know.

COYS!!!

3 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Out of respect to the Dumbarton fans we didn't celebrate our goals, i went there to watch football not fight with away fans which could have happened. We were right along at their end not even near the middle.

Bloody hell man, thats four times you've said it now.  WE were the away fans, the game was in f**king Dumbarton!

We adapted after the break. We definitely went far more direct at the start of the second half, aiming for balls in behind the defence rather than the midfield constantly having possession.

Let's face it we played an incredibly poor Dumbarton team and didn't play all that well. We won that's all that really matters, but there's definitely room for improvement, in the first half and just slaughtering teams.

We had 9 shots to their 3 according to BBC stats. Not exactly even Stevens I'd say

1 hour ago, BIG BEN said:
11 hours ago, gc_SMFC said:

We had 9 shots to their 3 according to BBC stats. Not exactly even Stevens I'd say

According to the BBC stats we had 20 shots(6 on goal) to their 3(1 on goal)! I was listening to Open All Mics and Willie Miller was singing St Mirren's praises throughout the first half saying that they were playing very good football but were not taking advantage of their chances. He said the game was no contest.

9 hours ago, Drew said:

Cammy was great last year but his goal scoring was a bit disappointing, he's certainly put that right this season. 

9 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I think the club must also take the blame. In the past our club have bent over backwards to accommodate large away supports in our home stands (much to the majority's annoyance) to make extra money.  Dumbarton could have easily shifted their support along a bit because there were plenty of empty seats in the away end. You are right though their dealings with our supporters that were without seats through no fault of their own was very sweety wife-like.

When I spoke on the phone to someone at Dumbarton yesterday, they suggested that they issue was down to St Mirren selling some of their allocation of parent and free child tickets as lone adult tickets. This meant that when people went down looking for these tickets they were then told to contact Dumbarton.

Dumbarton issued the free child tickets but some weren't located beside the adult seat, for whatever reason (although Dumbarton seemed to think this was down to the Saints ticket office), hence the decision to make it a free for all.

17 minutes ago, Drew said:

When I spoke on the phone to someone at Dumbarton yesterday, they suggested that they issue was down to St Mirren selling some of their allocation of parent and free child tickets as lone adult tickets. This meant that when people went down looking for these tickets they were then told to contact Dumbarton.

Dumbarton issued the free child tickets but some weren't located beside the adult seat, for whatever reason (although Dumbarton seemed to think this was down to the Saints ticket office), hence the decision to make it a free for all.

This type of situation, tickets and the office along with the online system seems to be one of the few areas we really need to improve.

It seems fairly consistent and someone really needs to manage the whole situation better.

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This type of situation, tickets and the office along with the online system seems to be one of the few areas we really need to improve.

It seems fairly consistent and someone really needs to manage the whole situation better.

I suppose it was a new scenario given the SPFL ticket initiative, and that, coupled with it being a sellout, inevitably resulted in difficulties.  Add into the mix the situation whereby tickets are sold from two clubs, and I suppose it isn't entirely surprising.

As I suggested yesterday, as soon as they realised that some of the adult and child tickets weren't located together, Dumbarton should have issued a clear statement on social media, etc, that it was a non-allocated seat affair (as it should always be where possible).  At least that way, word would have spread, and people would have known what the score was and would have come along earlier.

Edited by Drew