St Mirren Half Time Report Written By Dundee U fan

26 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

We have every right to get carried away in a wave of enthusiasm at this stage  - but it would be a mistake to do so!

And I'm sure the players know that too.

You're absolutely correct...............but maybe,just maybe,Fitzy was right.

:rolleyes:

Guest TPAFKATS
And that is not a problem. 
They do magnificently with the resources they have and absolutely deserve to be where they are in the SPFL PREMIERSHIP. 
I think it's the mysterious benefactor bailing them out financially. Rumour is he's a Nigerian Prince.

24 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
4 hours ago, shull said:
And that is not a problem. 
They do magnificently with the resources they have and absolutely deserve to be where they are in the SPFL PREMIERSHIP. 

I think it's the mysterious benefactor bailing them out financially. Rumour is he's a Nigerian Prince.

That'll be Accies money then.:lol:

Indeed we have a very strong pool of players from which we could quite confidently pick two different starting elevens for instance a defence of Stewart Irvine Buchanan McKenzie Eckersley all who didn't feature against Inverness.Obviously not being over confident but with just a couple of tweaks to our squad I would envisage that we will finish the season in a strong position.

Maybe I am just being a bit of a panic merchant but I just don't see the current squad as strong enough to win the league.  We need the ball-winning central midfield hardman everyone has been talking about, and a dangerous right winger to complete the Reilly-Smith-Morgan attack.

Hopefully these are the two players coming in this month.

We really need to protect the back four & Samson better, we all know there are a number of games we have rode our luck now.  We can't be serious about building a team to compete in the top league when we allow the likes of Morton to pin us back for an entire half of football (I know we were fatigued that game, but that why we need those midfield reinforcements to kill games like that).

We will never be in a better starting position than this, half a season to go, 6 points clear and competing against Dundee Utd and Dunfermline.  Lets spend some money and bring in two or three top quality players to drive us on to promotion.

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

We will never be in a better starting position than this, half a season to go, 6 points clear and competing against Dundee Utd and Dunfermline.  Lets spend some money and bring in two or three top quality players to drive us on to promotion.

I think that's the plan.

Whilst your points are  entirely valid, in a comparative sense, I think we are pretty strong. Have a look around at the other clubs around us, and none of them are close to the finished article either.

I think our main strength lies in how cohesive out squad seems to be. I've already noted elsewhere just how much the United players were bickering amongst themselves when we last played them. That spoke volumes for me. They also have key injuries and are being a bit optimistic if the assume that the new players they are splashing out on will gel effectively in the coming months.

I agree that we need to strengthen in a couple of key areas, but I reckon Jack has that well sussed.

Edited by Drew

Really good read. I think cautious optimism is what we need.

We've got a team that is dynamic and exciting, but also capable of being dogged and putting in the hard graft, grinding out results in difficult circumstances. Our biggest asset is that we have 5 or 6 players who are potential match winners, Reilly, Morgan, Smith, McGinn, McShane etc. Guys who have the ability to create something out of nothing when we're up against it, produce a moment of magic or individual brilliance to bag us 3 points. Add to that an increasingly sturdy defence and a solid keeper and we're looking good.

A wee bit of cover in the centre of the park and we'll have a bit of depth in every department. Personally, I'd like to see us in a right winger and letting Magennis compete for his place with McGinn and McShane, but Jack and James have been making all the right calls up until now, so I can't wait to see who they have lined up.

We haven't won anything yet, far from it, but there are plenty of reasons to be cheerful.