Its Plastic Nightmares

At long last plastic is on main news media.  Its killing too much sea life it is burried  on land fills taking thousands of years to break down. So why not just ban the horrible stuff even packagng vegetables go off quicker. Sciencetest say it is  has cancer properties.  So why are we using it ? Surprise surprise its the biggest profit for oil companies. Growing up a long long time ago in a historic town of Paisley we were used to glass bottles and loose vegetables.  When are government going to ban this cancer causing material and go back to natural materials.  You need to stand up to stop this killing material.  Oil companies Grrrr ! 

18 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

At long last plastic is on main news media.  Its killing too much sea life it is burried  on land fills taking thousands of years to break down. So why not just ban the horrible stuff even packagng vegetables go off quicker. Sciencetest say it is  has cancer properties.  So why are we using it ? Surprise surprise its the biggest profit for oil companies. Growing up a long long time ago in a historic town of Paisley we were used to glass bottles and loose vegetables.  When are government going to ban this cancer causing material and go back to natural materials.  You need to stand up to stop this killing material.  Oil companies Grrrr ! 

I heard that the Chinese are going to stop taking our plastic waste soon, so hopefully this will bring about some change. I'll not hold my breath though.

58 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

At long last plastic is on main news media.  Its killing too much sea life it is burried  on land fills taking thousands of years to break down. So why not just ban the horrible stuff even packagng vegetables go off quicker. Scientist say it is  has cancer properties.  So why are we using it ? Surprise surprise its the biggest profit for oil companies. Growing up a long long time ago in a historic town of Paisley we were used to glass bottles and loose vegetables.  When are government going to ban this cancer causing material and go back to natural materials.  You need to stand up to stop this killing material.  Oil companies Grrrr ! 

The latest problem is the plastic that lines the inside of paper cups from the numerous coffee outlets that have sprung up in recent times. .

15 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You were happy eneough to take the work from the oil and gas sector.

The issue is people, plastics have so many life enhancing applications, but the preferrences of people get in the way every time.  I used to work in a medical device company and the research often showed customers were willing to pay more for a product and even pay premium rates for bog-standard products if the packaging was prestigious and matched their own sense of social and economic standing.

37 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

The issue is people, plastics have so many life enhancing applications, but the preferrences of people get in the way every time.  I used to work in a medical device company and the research often showed customers were willing to pay more for a product and even pay premium rates for bog-standard products if the packaging was prestigious and matched their own sense of social and economic standing.

Happy enough to work for the oil and gas sector not too sure about that Ken. Service there workers as in hospitality yes and got to travel was what I liked. Yes get your point though but when it comes to putting money on the table to better the family im sure if we all took the moral ground many would be out a job. Plastic is a problem so education on its harms are not bad thing. On the news today Sainsbury warp coconuts in plastic , coconuts are more than protected by its shell. Fresh fruit and vegetables also last longer when not wrapped in plastic. There is a market for plastic but it could be cut drastically.  Finally when servicing the oil companies they had us remove plastic and poly cups in the name of the environment what better way to finish this post, the irony of that is hilarious.  

3 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Or, perhaps people should start putting rubbish in bins ?

It doesn’t pollute or make its own way to the sea or countryside on it’s own.

Educate people... nah, it’ll never catch on.

How do you think all the plastic in the oceans got there?  There's an entire floating continent of it!

The thing I don't get is the number of plastic containers that are marked "not recyclable at this time".

I try to recycle. I NEVER throw litter. But inadvertently I was throwing non recyclable goods into the recycle bin.

I've corrected this and now make a point of checking but I wonder how many others just assume that, if it's clear plastic, it's recyclable.

8 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Happy enough to work for the oil and gas sector not too sure about that Ken. Service there workers as in hospitality yes and got to travel was what I liked. Yes get your point though but when it comes to putting money on the table to better the family im sure if we all took the moral ground many would be out a job. Plastic is a problem so education on its harms are not bad thing. On the news today Sainsbury warp coconuts in plastic , coconuts are more than protected by its shell. Fresh fruit and vegetables also last longer when not wrapped in plastic. There is a market for plastic but it could be cut drastically.  Finally when servicing the oil companies they had us remove plastic and poly cups in the name of the environment what better way to finish this post, the irony of that is hilarious.  

You critizing oil companies , tut tut , big yin. .:P

Maybe they need to bring back Public Information Films , they used to feature someone like Roy Hudd and would be part of Keep Britain Tidy a campaign which has been going since I was a kid. Didnae work . You can always tell when you are nearing a convenience/fast food store per the litter around it and of course the ubiquitous chewing gum stuck to the pavement . We must live in one of the dirtiest countries in the western world .

Off topic but they could maybe do some Public Information Films on how to merge onto a motorway , how to overtake on a motorway and that motorways are for fast moving traffic . .:DMaybe they could bring back Reginald Moleshusband . .

9 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Aye, coz people are going to stop working and supporting their families for some airy fairy idea they will change the policies of the oil and gas companies. 

A massive issue, not an easy solution as it's built up over years, and won't be solved in a hurry.

It does seem more countries and governments are taking this seriously so things could change. 

I doubt any forum members have enough knowledge to really provide a solution, apart from Oaky. 

Our prime minister has acted, hailed by Gove, alongside the racist Zak Goldsmith, as the country's greatest environmentalist she has decreed that a not even loosley defined group of plastics, that are arbitrarily categorised as "unnecessary", will be banned when she and many of the rest of us are liable to be dead or too old to give a shit anymore.

Well and truly kicked into the long seaweed.  

I truly hate this poor apology for a government.

Edited by beyond our ken

Middle class gobshite onradio 2 just now complaining that it all comes back on the poor consumer, apparently she has to buy 4 spuds on a plastic tray when she only needs 3.

The consumer is to blame for much of this and if the government won't act then I'm afraid dull gets who just do as the supermarkets tell them will need to engage brain and buy loose spuds.