Player of the Season - The Early Runners

shull

I could give nearly the majority of players top marks. 

So many brilliant players to choose from. 

I think Macgennis might just win it.

What a Season for them all. 

Edited by shull

23 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Special mention for big Sammy, who we were told by a never ending stream of Motherwell supporting clowns that he was hopeless. The big man has been outstanding for the majority of this season, long may that continue as he is obviously loving his football and has a genuine love of this club.

Not confined to Motherwell supporters. :rolleyes:

I can't decide who would be the player of the season but the most improved is, by a country mile, Baird.

9 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I can't decide who would be the player of the season but the most improved is, by a country mile, Baird.

Bairdy has come on leaps and bounds this season, and now that he's paired with Harry Davis THE best centre back in this division then it can only get better for Jack.

We are far more than a one man team everyone out with the club thinks, there have been so many stand outs this season and it is a very hard decision to decide which player has been THE standout, but Lewis Morgan shades it for the amount of game changing moments he has had for us so far.

A really tough one, no real failures at all this season

Cammy Smith would maybe edge it for me, look how dreadful we were v Dumbarton in the game he didn’t play, shows how key he is to the way we play

Lewis Morgan, Gav Reilly and Sammy all breathing down his neck.....

Then we have McGinn, Baird, Davis. Magennis coming onto a game, Eck gives an 8/10 every week he plays....

Genuinely don’t think there is a stand out option...and for all the good reasons

4 minutes ago, norman said:

Craig Samson for me as well. He's been fantastic, and won us so many points with big saves at crucial times. Best goalkeeper in the league by a considerable distance.

The penalty save v United few weeks ago was a watershed moment in our season

to have gone 1-0 down could have been detrimental but the belief from the players and fans after Sammy’s save meant we’ve kicked on and proudly sit 8 points clear at the top of the league 

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Bud said:

The penalty save v United few weeks ago was a watershed moment in our season

to have gone 1-0 down could have been detrimental but the belief from the players and fans after Sammy’s save meant we’ve kicked on and proudly sit 8 points clear at the top of the league 

You can tell the other players in the team respect and trust him. He's the guy who has actually won something with the club and brings valuable experience. Baird has improved significantly this season, and I  wouldn't be surprised if  having a goalie he can  trust behind him is as much a factor as having Davis next to him. 

We are very lucky to have him, especially when you see some of the other goalkeepers kicking around in this league.

I might also add as a fan watching this team that there is a visible bond on display in every game that we play. Aside from the cup win in 2013 the last time we saw the players so united was probably the millennium championship and the 2005-6 teams. Something special happening with so many special players it's difficult to pinpoint one outstanding player, as every single one of them give us their all in every game.

Can Baird still qualify for Young Player of the Year?

Players in the running for player of the year award, Samson, McGinn, C Smith, Morgan, Reilly.

When Morgan plays everyone knows it but for me Cammy Smith is the most consistent. If Reilly goes on to score 30+ goals then he has to be in with a shout.

About 7 players have had amazing seasons so far but Lewis has practically won games on his own this season. It’s still to early to pick a POTY as there is a lot of football to be played. Lewis’ form would need to fall from a cliff for anyone else to win.

IMO if Lewis never signed for Celtic but signed a new 3yr deal this would not even be a discussion

POTY - Lewis Morgan

YPOTY - Lewis Morgan

When we have a striker with 20 goals in half a season and winger who's been totally unplayable at times, it's almost absurd to suggest anyone else for Player of the Season. Having said that, I think Cammy Smith would get my vote so far. Reilly, Morgan, Baird, Samson, McGinn and maybe a few others could all stake reasonable claims for the award, but if there was one player who should be first name on the team sheet, it'd be Cammy. I think he makes us a better team with every aspect of his game. He's always a goal threat by himself, also, players like Morgan and Reilly regularly profit from  his intelligence and creativity. As well as this, his high pressing and tireless hard work makes us so much harder to play against and means that, more often than not, Baird and Davis are dealing with the kind of long ball game that centre backs will happily eat up all day.  We've got a good squad with talent and depth, but out of them all, it's Cammy I'd dread playing without. Class act.

55 minutes ago, norman said:

You can tell the other players in the team respect and trust him. He's the guy who has actually won something with the club and brings valuable experience. Baird has improved significantly this season, and I  wouldn't be surprised if  having a goalie he can  trust behind him is as much a factor as having Davis next to him. 

We are very lucky to have him, especially when you see some of the other goalkeepers kicking around in this league.

Couldn't trust him at the start of the season when he lost us goals all over the place

About 7 players have had amazing seasons so far but Lewis has practically won games on his own this season. It’s still to early to pick a POTY as there is a lot of football to be played. Lewis’ form would need to fall from a cliff for anyone else to win.

IMO if Lewis never signed for Celtic but signed a new 3yr deal this would not even be a discussion

POTY - Lewis Morgan
YPOTY - Lewis Morgan

You sound like the radio scotland presenter. We are far from a one player team and it's nothing to do with him signing for Celtic.